Thread: Total War Saga: Troy - general discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    REX POLONIAE Moderator KLAssurbanipal's Avatar

Default Total War Saga: Troy - general discussion

Last edited by KLAssurbanipal; 09-22-2019 at 12:34.

Default Re: Total War Saga: Troy?

From my perspective, while I do appreciate that they're bringing out new content, Troy TW will not really be something very historical due to the lack of credible sources around the whole event. It will be interesting to see a mini-pre-Rome 2 TW shaped out.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xantan View Post
    From my perspective, while I do appreciate that they're bringing out new content, Troy TW will not really be something very historical due to the lack of credible sources around the whole event. It will be interesting to see a mini-pre-Rome 2 TW shaped out.
    Oh I don't know - we actually know quite a lot about the period, just not a lot about the war itself.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

But we do know enough to have a good historical overview of the military aspects?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    But we do know enough to have a good historical overview of the military aspects?
    To a point? We can reconstruct the cities fairly well now, including Troy, and we have a fair idea of the sorts of ships they used. The major issue, if anything, would be the lack of variety of units.

A dirty secret we don't like to talk about much is that we don't really know a lot about ancient warfare from the later Archaic and Classical periods. We know nothing of swordplay except what we see on a few sculptures and what we can infer from the weapons. We're not even sure hoe Greek hoplites held their spears.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Ah the great underhand vs overhand spear debate.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Default Re: Total War Saga: Troy - general discussion

Nice game I think, I like the setting which is quite original and risky as a same time, Achilles would be too OP imho but you know the heroes made the Illiad epic :)

Hector vs Achilles, a battle between two titans for the destiny of the universe!

It is necessary that they launch good content for Troy TW and thus have an audience.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I've played a bit of Troy TW past weekend and here are some of my initial thoughts.

As the main impression, and main positive point for me, the UI, just like ToB, is absolutely spectacular! Fabulous work done by the Art team, spectacular work. I do notice that the game has been simplified, in the scope of ToB as well, and with the resources it feels a lot like Age of Empires in that aspect. Not particularly fond of it, but it works, and adds a different depth of decisions that you need to do. Researching tech now is a bit different, and it grants you resources, which again is good for the game but it feels strange as a Total War product. It takes time to adapt to it.

Building browser again is different, it forces you to clearly choose but often times you see that in the beginning of the game, there are drawbacks (on resources especially) that you can't get back that easily. So while it creates a good choice to have it's hard to use it in the beginning. Especially if you don't have gold!

Battles wise, it's almost the same as ToB, with the obvious added difference of having hero units. Haven't played a siege yet but I will do a custom siege Troy battle.

So far it's a solid game but to be frank, not my cup of tea. It's just too different as a TW game in my view. However for those familiar with ToB / Warhammer even, this is a good game. And of course, I could sit for HOURS and look at the game, the artwork is beyond splendid!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

A nitpick from my side - the resources part can sometimes be very confusing. TW operated with few resources overall but the multitude of resources now in Troy TW is a bit too much.

Plus, some of them are very hard to obtain so why include them? Just gold and maybe stone / timber or something was enough.

Did anyone play more Troy TW lately? Can anyone shed some light?

Epic's exclusivity is drawing to a close and soon the game will be out on Steam.