Thread: Total War Saga: Troy - general discussion

REX POLONIAE Moderator KLAssurbanipal's Avatar

Default Total War Saga: Troy - general discussion

Last edited by KLAssurbanipal; 09-22-2019 at 12:34.

Default Re: Total War Saga: Troy?

From my perspective, while I do appreciate that they're bringing out new content, Troy TW will not really be something very historical due to the lack of credible sources around the whole event. It will be interesting to see a mini-pre-Rome 2 TW shaped out.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xantan View Post
    From my perspective, while I do appreciate that they're bringing out new content, Troy TW will not really be something very historical due to the lack of credible sources around the whole event. It will be interesting to see a mini-pre-Rome 2 TW shaped out.
    Oh I don't know - we actually know quite a lot about the period, just not a lot about the war itself.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

But we do know enough to have a good historical overview of the military aspects?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    But we do know enough to have a good historical overview of the military aspects?
    To a point? We can reconstruct the cities fairly well now, including Troy, and we have a fair idea of the sorts of ships they used. The major issue, if anything, would be the lack of variety of units.

A dirty secret we don't like to talk about much is that we don't really know a lot about ancient warfare from the later Archaic and Classical periods. We know nothing of swordplay except what we see on a few sculptures and what we can infer from the weapons. We're not even sure hoe Greek hoplites held their spears.

Ah the great underhand vs overhand spear debate.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    Ah the great underhand vs overhand spear debate.
    Yes, that one.

Given that a lot of the depictions were Athenian and the Athenians had a citizen-army the potters probably would have seen practicing it seem incredible that they would consistently misrepresent the use of the primary hoplite weapon.

On the other hand, there's very little you can do with an overhand spear except stab downwards.

Member Member Asteroids Champion, Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Boxteroid Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Asteroids 2k3 Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Desert Battle Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Burger Time Champion, Bug Juice Champion, Plastic Saucer Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Gary Golf Champion, Red Beard Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Roller Blaze Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, Radial Snake Champion, Kirby's Star Scramble Champion, Chicken Champion, Shootout Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Space Hunter Champion, Jail Break Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Mouse Kill Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Takion Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Iceberg Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion, Shoot The Gatso Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Fall Down Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Frogger Champion, Skeleton Park Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, jetpacker Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Lift Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, V:force Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Tiger Moth Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Rotation Champion, Jack's Bar Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ping Champion, Killer Bob Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Battle of Helms Deep Champion, Life Bouy Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Ghost 2000 Champion, Its Mine Champion, Home Run Rally Champion, Alien Invasion Champion, Homeland Defense Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, Paintball Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Reactor Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Starcastle Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Home Run Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Pin Headz Champion, Fun Santa Champion, Mission Mars Champion, Tontie Champion ConjurerDragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Yes, that one.

Given that a lot of the depictions were Athenian and the Athenians had a citizen-army the potters probably would have seen practicing it seem incredible that they would consistently misrepresent the use of the primary hoplite weapon.

On the other hand, there's very little you can do with an overhand spear except stab downwards.
    Throw it?

There are a lot of possible reasons why pictures could be unlike reality.
    Artistic freedom - I do not want to depict it like that because my work of art should look like this.
    Potters with limited talent who outsourced the painting to others who did not observe the militia training firsthand.
    Untalented painters - Sure, a spear looks like that when used, but I can only draw it like that, else noone would recognize that it is a spear.
    Religious taboos: Oh no, you can’t depict a spear that way, the youth might misuse the amphores decorations as templates for nether actions.
    Heroic posture: The real use of a spear hardly looks inspiring, but depicted THAT way the fighter looks like a heros.
    A for us hidden code that would have been obvious to the ancient observer: e.g. like in western movies the good guys alway wore white and the bad guys black cowboy hats. Perhaps the underhanded spear user was the evil guy and the good guy had to be depicted using it overhand? Or you could see from the position of the spear who the winner of the battle was - everyone knew that the winning fighter had to be depicted using the spear overhand...

After all even the much later tapestry of Bayeux is suspected not to show real life in every dirty realistic detail but an artistic expression of the events.
    Last edited by ConjurerDragon; 09-14-2019 at 09:34.

Quote Originally Posted by ConjurerDragon View Post
    Throw it?

There are a lot of possible reasons why pictures could be unlike reality.
    Artistic freedom - I do not want to depict it like that because my work of art should look like this.
    Potters with limited talent who outsourced the painting to others who did not observe the militia training firsthand.
    Untalented painters - Sure, a spear looks like that when used, but I can only draw it like that, else noone would recognize that it is a spear.
    Religious taboos: Oh no, you can’t depict a spear that way, the youth might misuse the amphores decorations as templates for nether actions.
    Heroic posture: The real use of a spear hardly looks inspiring, but depicted THAT way the fighter looks like a heros.
    A for us hidden code that would have been obvious to the ancient observer: e.g. like in western movies the good guys alway wore white and the bad guys black cowboy hats. Perhaps the underhanded spear user was the evil guy and the good guy had to be depicted using it overhand? Or you could see from the position of the spear who the winner of the battle was - everyone knew that the winning fighter had to be depicted using the spear overhand...

After all even the much later tapestry of Bayeux is suspected not to show real life in every dirty realistic detail but an artistic expression of the events.
    Oh ho.

First of all "ritual" is the archaeologist's get out excuse and the anathema of Dr Peter Reynolds's "Form follows function". In this case, the simplest explanation for consistent depiction of overhand spear use is that hoplites used the spear overhand - as here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hoplite03b.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	22868

Wikipedia has an article on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoplite_formation_in_art

The complaint is that the overhand thrust is less powerful than the underhand thrust. Notably, Hoplites are depicted using their spears underhand when out of formation. One plausible explanation is that in the tight phalanx formation there wasn't actually enough space to use the spear underhand without striking the man behind you.

Updated first post.

Total War Troy is a magnificent idea, but I need to point out the obvious, Total War has always being respected for its fidelity when it comes of portraying historical times, and those armors, that both Achilles and Hector are wearing they seem to be too much modern for the ancient times, it looks more like an armor design from the game "Ryse: Son of Rome". I do not wish to bash on they beautiful and amazing works,I hope those amazing kinda fantasy armor design to have a true reason to be there, like perhaps future projects of mixing historical fidelity with fantasy or myth.

I found Hittites in one screen:

Some sources of units (screens) and heroes (box artwork), but Achilles and Hector (from trailer) have a fantasy look.

Last edited by KLAssurbanipal; 09-21-2019 at 01:53.

Member thankful for this post:

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

What bothers me the most is that they have this "hero units" thing from the Three Kingdoms game and they seem keen to build upon it and introduce it into Troy. Whilst Achiles is a mythological figure, I do not wish to see him single handedly destroying entire armies on his own. As with any TW product since Medieval 2 my motto would be: wait for the reviews and possibly for the first sale.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

To be honest with you, I wish CA all the best but I will be skipping this one. Heroes and ancient factions is not my cup of tea - Hellenistic period yes, it's fabulous, but this period is not for me.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

First look at campaign.

It was published the same day as the trailer and screenshots - September 19th. :)

In my opinion this part is really cool

Would be curious to see the overall player reaction when it gets released - how many people will be playing this. Since this is something a bit out of the usual realm of TW, and with overall TW interest going down (Warhammer excluded), how will things shape up?

I think it won't go very well since people already have games like Rome and Rome II plus Europa Barbarorum for ancient times. Of course that period is completely different but it seems that it won't have navy warfare, will probably have unrealistic heroes that can kill 100 soldiers just with their spear. Hopefully, the "Gods" won't be an annoying thing, but the biggest problem is the city of Troy. How will the actual siege go? Will it end the two turns?

The best thing of course will be to wait for the reviews, I hope it's good because if not than CA won't touch this period anymore.

It's something for them to explore in the end - they need to diversify a bit overall, hence why they're going for Ancient settings.

Proud

Been to:

Default Re: Total War Saga: Troy - general discussion

Nice game I think, I like the setting which is quite original and risky as a same time, Achilles would be too OP imho but you know the heroes made the Illiad epic :)

Hector vs Achilles, a battle between two titans for the destiny of the universe!

It is necessary that they launch good content for Troy TW and thus have an audience.

I've played a bit of Troy TW past weekend and here are some of my initial thoughts.

As the main impression, and main positive point for me, the UI, just like ToB, is absolutely spectacular! Fabulous work done by the Art team, spectacular work. I do notice that the game has been simplified, in the scope of ToB as well, and with the resources it feels a lot like Age of Empires in that aspect. Not particularly fond of it, but it works, and adds a different depth of decisions that you need to do. Researching tech now is a bit different, and it grants you resources, which again is good for the game but it feels strange as a Total War product. It takes time to adapt to it.

Building browser again is different, it forces you to clearly choose but often times you see that in the beginning of the game, there are drawbacks (on resources especially) that you can't get back that easily. So while it creates a good choice to have it's hard to use it in the beginning. Especially if you don't have gold!

Battles wise, it's almost the same as ToB, with the obvious added difference of having hero units. Haven't played a siege yet but I will do a custom siege Troy battle.

So far it's a solid game but to be frank, not my cup of tea. It's just too different as a TW game in my view. However for those familiar with ToB / Warhammer even, this is a good game. And of course, I could sit for HOURS and look at the game, the artwork is beyond splendid!

Proud

Been to:

A nitpick from my side - the resources part can sometimes be very confusing. TW operated with few resources overall but the multitude of resources now in Troy TW is a bit too much.

Plus, some of them are very hard to obtain so why include them? Just gold and maybe stone / timber or something was enough.

Did anyone play more Troy TW lately? Can anyone shed some light?

Epic's exclusivity is drawing to a close and soon the game will be out on Steam.