Thread: Historical sources

REX POLONIAE Moderator KLAssurbanipal's Avatar

Default Historical sources

I found Hittites in one screen:

Some sources of units (screens) and heroes (box artwork), but Achilles and Hector (from trailer) have a fantasy look.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Re: Total War Saga: Troy?

Quote Originally Posted by KLAssurbanipal View Post
    I found Hittites in one screen:

Some sources of units (screens) and heroes (box artwork), but Achilles and Hector (from trailer) have a fantasy look.

Actually, Achilles and Hector are wearing variants of Archaic (as opposed to Mycenaean) armour - which makes a sort of sense, if this is based on Homer's epic as well as history.

Attachment 22876

Attachment 22877

Note the "bib" like Achilles is wearing.

See also: https://stefanosskarmintzos.wordpres...chaic-hoplite/

Note the depiction of the full panoply there - you'll see the arm guard Achilles is wearing.

Hector's helmet seems to be modelled on the 8th Century find from Argos:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	464px-Hoplite_Armour_Argos.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	22878

Meanwhile, Hector's body armour is a composite type that has been speculated about for Archaic hoplite.

The only thing that's particularly fantastical is Achilles Helmet, and really only because the cheek pieces are hinged.

So, broadly speaking the two heros are depicted as historical elite "noble" hoplites from the Archaic period, as Homer and his audience would have imagined them.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Helmets, armours, shields, greaves of Achilles & Hector are fantasy. Some of them slightly refer to historical ones, but nothing is well imitated. However, we know from Rome 2 that CA can accurately reproduce discovered weapons and armours. Arm guards of Achilles look fantasy. I can't find any similar to them. Hector's helmet is completely differ that the 8th century helmet from Argos. Completely differ design and form. In my opinion this helmet is more similar to LotR/Warhammer Elves. I have few thousands photos of ancient armoury but I can't find their helmets, cuirasses, arm armours, greaves, shields (I accept only the Achilles shield based on Homer's description). I'm writing book "Historia uzbrojenia. Ilustrowana encyklopedia" (History of armament. Illustrated encyclopedia) in Polish language. The first volume is about ancient helmets.

Archaic full armour:

Last edited by KLAssurbanipal; 09-22-2019 at 19:28.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I've taken another look at the sources you posted and I think both Hector and Achilles are wearing a sort of mashup of sources.

Hector's body armour seems to be based on this: https://www.hellenicarmors.gr/en/armor/diomedes-armor/

I've seen a vase with a similar shaped helm, but with a more rounded dome - the more pointed dome is what made me thing of the Argos helm.

Achilles' armour is very angular but most the panoply looks like a version of archaic Greek armour, the helm is the same form as some of the ones in the red-bordered box you posted - again more angular.

Both panoplies are broadly plausible but in both cases they have abbreviated armour on their feet and achilles in particular seems to have had his pauldrons shrunk in the wash.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Achilles and Hektor have very loose variations on the armour of this era. However, Hector's helmet is a completely strange, too complicated construction and it bothers me the most. It looks a bit like Gondor helmet from LotR.