Results 1 to 30 of 399

Thread: UK General Election 2019

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Albion
    Posts
    15,868
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default UK General Election 2019

    The Game is Afoot.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50221856

    Will the Brexit party compete with the Conservatives to rob them of precious votes?
    Will the Legion of Corbyn be able to fight off the threat of the Lib Dems and SNP ?
    Will Corbyn carry out his threat to directly challenge Boris on his home turf?

    To be continued...
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" - Daryl Davis
    "What makes something right or wrong?" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." # | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs." RG

    Member thankful for this post:



  2. #2
    BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Forever adrift
    Posts
    5,603

    Default Re: UK General Election 2019

    Prediction - the boris govt will not ignore the standard lynton crosby advice - as theresa may's did - of boiling the issues down to a select few messages to the exclusion of all else.

    in his words: clear the barnacles of the hull.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

  3. #3
    Formerly Wigferth Ironwall Senior Member Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Isca
    Posts
    13,365

    Default Re: UK General Election 2019

    It could still all be delayed again.

    I'm not sure what to do, to be honest.

    Maybe Monster Raving Loony Party.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."


  4. #4
    Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Taplow, UK
    Posts
    8,374

    Default Re: UK General Election 2019

    Either people vote on one issue and we end up with a government in power for years based on one issue, or else people choose based on the whole manifesto (assuming that the parties bother to have one) and then we're back to politicians not representing their constituents on the most salient issue.

    Of course, the one thing we can guarantee is no attempt at root and branch reform of our democratic system.

    An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

  5. #5
    Member Member Greyblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: UK General Election 2019

    There will absolutely be reform, the speaker of the house and the supreme court have been used against the executive in a political manner and the LD's election limits have caused this mess to be so protracted. The next government will find limiting and/or removing them to ensure they arent used so again a priority
    Last edited by Greyblades; 10-29-2019 at 21:40.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.


    Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Member thankful for this post:



  6. #6
    Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,320

    Default Re: UK General Election 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    There will absolutely be reform, the speaker of the house and the supreme court have been used against the executive in a political manner and the LD's election limits have caused this mess to be so protracted. The next government will find limiting and/or removing them to ensure they arent used so again a priority
    You want yet more centralisation of power under the executive. As if Johnson and Cummings haven't been abusing said power as exists currently. I look forward to a future government which is not to your liking, which will then wield such power as you want to give Johnson just because the latter is enacting Brexit.

  7. #7
    Formerly Wigferth Ironwall Senior Member Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Isca
    Posts
    13,365

    Default UK Election 2019

    The upcoming election on December 12th really deserves its own thread, so here we are.

    So, this is the second early election in two years, the last one having been in 2017. Once again a Tory Prime Minister seeks to increase their majority in the eternal quest to "get Brexit done". Once again, the Labour party lumbers into motion with Jeremy Corbyn at the realm, shedding its more moderate members and MP's in the process.

    Fist piece of news, Labour Deputy Leader Tom Watson has resigned after the last attempt to knife him failed in September. He will not stand at the next election and has essentially said that he no longer recognises the party he joined. Meanwhile, another former Labour MP has advised the public to hold their nose and vote for Boris Johnson because Corbyn is "unfit" to lead the party, let alone the country.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."


  8. #8
    Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Taplow, UK
    Posts
    8,374

    Default Re: UK Election 2019

    God it's a pretty pathetic time for Democracy in the UK.

    "Being better than Corbyn" is possibly one of the most depressing slogans to have - but what else can the Tories offer?

    An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

  9. #9
    Formerly Wigferth Ironwall Senior Member Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Isca
    Posts
    13,365

    Default Re: UK Election 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    God it's a pretty pathetic time for Democracy in the UK.

    "Being better than Corbyn" is possibly one of the most depressing slogans to have - but what else can the Tories offer?

    Maybe also "slightly less racist than Corbyn"?

    That's a pretty damning indictment of the Labour party right there.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."


  10. #10
    Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Taplow, UK
    Posts
    8,374

    Default Re: UK Election 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Maybe also "slightly less racist than Corbyn"?

    That's a pretty damning indictment of the Labour party right there.
    Its Jew / rich bashing or Muslim / poor bashing. It is reaching the playground in a primary school in terms of lack of nuance, data and "alternative facts". [Most] people are retreating into their own online social enclaves and hearing personal echo chambers. I've been unfriended / blocked on a few occasions for daring to challenge the data that was being quoted - not stating that the other side are great, but just to try to get people to argue on frankly reality as opposed to the conflicting fantasies.

    An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

  11. #11
    BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Forever adrift
    Posts
    5,603
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

    Member thankful for this post:

    Beskar 


  12. #12

    Default Re: UK Election 2019

    One thing that strikes me in all the talk about PMs is that everyone loses sight of the MPs. Parliament is where the action is, so one should take into account the MPs (party) that constitute a potential PM's power base.

    As far as I'm concerned, more Labour MPs has to be better than more Conservative MPs.

    Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    Its Jew / rich bashing or Muslim / poor bashing. It is reaching the playground in a primary school in terms of lack of nuance, data and "alternative facts". [Most] people are retreating into their own online social enclaves and hearing personal echo chambers. I've been unfriended / blocked on a few occasions for daring to challenge the data that was being quoted - not stating that the other side are great, but just to try to get people to argue on frankly reality as opposed to the conflicting fantasies.

    You should spend more time doing that on the Org rather than social media. It's more productive, I promise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    How rude to Beskar. :tear:
    Vitiate Man.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  13. #13
    Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,320

    Default Re: UK Election 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    The upcoming election on December 12th really deserves its own thread, so here we are.

    So, this is the second early election in two years, the last one having been in 2017. Once again a Tory Prime Minister seeks to increase their majority in the eternal quest to "get Brexit done". Once again, the Labour party lumbers into motion with Jeremy Corbyn at the realm, shedding its more moderate members and MP's in the process.

    Fist piece of news, Labour Deputy Leader Tom Watson has resigned after the last attempt to knife him failed in September. He will not stand at the next election and has essentially said that he no longer recognises the party he joined. Meanwhile, another former Labour MP has advised the public to hold their nose and vote for Boris Johnson because Corbyn is "unfit" to lead the party, let alone the country.
    And Boris Johnson, pathological liar (it's his distinguishing characteristic). starts his campaign with a list of lies.

    General election: 7 lies or half-truths Boris Johnson told in his first speech

    Incredible though it may seem, the Tory PM is actually worse than Corbyn. Not that I will be voting for either.

  14. #14
    Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Latibulm mali regis in muris.
    Posts
    11,051

    Default Re: UK Election 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    And Boris Johnson, pathological liar (it's his distinguishing characteristic). starts his campaign with a list of lies.

    General election: 7 lies or half-truths Boris Johnson told in his first speech

    Incredible though it may seem, the Tory PM is actually worse than Corbyn. Not that I will be voting for either.
    An almost congenital inability to tell the truth has NOT been an impediment to a political career in and English-speaking nation on either side of the "pond" for some time now.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

  15. #15
    Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,320

    Default Re: UK Election 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    An almost congenital inability to tell the truth has NOT been an impediment to a political career in and English-speaking nation on either side of the "pond" for some time now.
    It does mean that anyone thinking of voting Tory should not pretend to some kind of moral high horse. They know the current PM is a liar, has his entire career, inside and outside Parliament, defined by a habit of constantly lying (cf. his former editor and colleagues at the Telegraph). Causes that he has supposedly taken up have denounced him as a liar first and foremost, with every utterance of his safely assumed to be untrue until proven otherwise. There was an episode in Yes Prime Minister where the eponymous PM was aghast at having inadvertently told an untruth, with the threat of having to resign if it were found out. If people vote for him anyway, despite knowing him to be a liar above any other characteristic, then they should not pretend to hold any kind of moral high ground.

  16. #16
    Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Taplow, UK
    Posts
    8,374

    Default Re: UK Election 2019

    Aaaah, for the days when the PM would drag the country into a war based on fabricated evidence - those were the days!

    First off, you vote for the local representative. Only those in Boris's constituency are voting for him. But I've said that before and you just ignored it.

    Secondly... do people vote for any party for a sense of moral superiority? Perhaps the Green Party.

    An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO