Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: UK General Election 2019

Formerly Wigferth Ironwall Senior Member Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Re: UK Election 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    You also gone into how your were born in Devon but is Cornish. You also said about the different boundaries and how parts of the Kingdom(?) of Cornwall lies in Devon, etc etc etc. Though with your last post, sounds like you identify more with Devon?

Not after arguing with you.
    1. Born in Devon, family from Hampshire/Surrey and more distantly Wales/Sweden.

2. Parts of the Duchy of Cornwall lie in Devon. Devon and Cornwall collectively made up the Kingdom of Dummonia in the Sub-Roman period. You may also be confused by my, at some point, having said that there were Cornishmen in Devon until the Reformation, which is not to say Cornwall was in Devon. The boundary has been the River Tamar since 936 AD.

3. Anyone who lives in Devon identifies more with Devon than Cornwall and vice versa.

It's all mostly in good fun, until someone starts a punchup.

Honestly - though - if you and Monty are both miss-reading my posts to this degree I need to consider writing in a language other than English because, frankly, you'd apparently do better putting my Latin through Google translate.

Wait - have I suffered a head trauma? Have I spent the last two or three years writing in Latin without realising?

O​.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

Formerly Wigferth Ironwall Senior Member Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The clear following question is, "Despite the prospective Conservative PM's unwillingness to face scrutiny?". Ie. does Johnson's refusal to face the toughest of the interviewers, which every other major candidate has submitted to, affect your opinion of his fitness to be PM? Neil has set out a number of questions that he'd like to put to Johnson, which already gives the latter an advantage over the other candidates, who had no prior explicit preparation. Should Johnson answer these questions under Neil's probing?
    I think we've all agreed he "should" do the interview - I haven't seen anyone defend him not doing it.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

Member thankful for this post:

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    I think we've all agreed he "should" do the interview - I haven't seen anyone defend him not doing it.
    Furunculus has said that the whole Brexit business should have been the prerogative of the executive, without Parliamentary oversight. Meaning the biggest issue of the election should be without constitutional scrutiny. Neil has said the biggest issue with Johnson is trustworthiness. Should the PM be allowed greater executive power without exposing him to scrutiny? Johnson has shown that he wants more of the former, and he's also shown that he's avoiding the latter as far as he can get away with it.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

The clear following question is, "Despite the prospective Conservative PM's unwillingness to face scrutiny?". Ie. does Johnson's refusal to face the toughest of the interviewers, which every other major candidate has submitted to, affect your opinion of his fitness to be PM? Neil has set out a number of questions that he'd like to put to Johnson, which already gives the latter an advantage over the other candidates, who had no prior explicit preparation. Should Johnson answer these questions under Neil's probing?
    I believe this question has already been answered:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...post2053800043
    "Yes, i do think it will reflect badly on him, and he should do it - not least because his opponents went on the show on the understanding that they would all face such a grilling."
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Furunculus has said that the whole Brexit business should have been the prerogative of the executive, without Parliamentary oversight. Meaning the biggest issue of the election should be without constitutional scrutiny. Neil has said the biggest issue with Johnson is trustworthiness. Should the PM be allowed greater executive power without exposing him to scrutiny? Johnson has shown that he wants more of the former, and he's also shown that he's avoiding the latter as far as he can get away with it.
    No, your serial misquoting of me continues:
    I did not say brexit should have been the prerogative of the executive as if this was my opinion.
    I pointed out that as a constitutional principle conducting relations with foreign powers is a function of the executive.
    For the eminently sensible reason that negotiation by committee is universally stupid notion.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

The UK's Brexit ambassador to the US resigns because she has better things to do than peddle the government's lies about what Brexit involves. Yup, that's the reason she gave.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I got to admit when I was voting the other day, I was looking at the slip and I was like "I don't want to vote for any of you". I wish I was in a constitutionality with half-decent choices, like my neighbouring ones who happened to attract the talent.

The incumbent is a blue Labour who lives 300 miles away and primary the reason I have never voted Labour in a general election.
    Last edited by Beskar; Today at 20:42.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" - Daryl Davis
    "What makes something right or wrong?" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." # | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs." RG

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910