Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV Series / Shows

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default TV Series / Shows

So I was thinking of doing a thread on the latest TV shows / series that you're watching, and recommendations that you have. I'm not usually one to watch TV shows (prefer to read & game instead) but since part of the gaming comes with a Prime Video subscription, why not, let's see what's going on.

First series is Jack Ryan, based on the famous novels by Tom Clancy.

Recommendations?

The Crown on Netflix is on my definite watch list.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Default Re: TV Series / Shows

Depends on what genres you enjoy, etc. for recommendations. I thought The Crown was really good, most of the Netflix series I've seen have been enjoyable to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Bojack Horseman is a Good Show, but what I've seen of Netflix' original programming has been decidedly middling. And of course they cancel almost everything by 3 seasons, so why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    The Crown on Netflix is on my definite watch list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    I thought The Crown was really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOyMsQ6BtiM
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

BTW I wasn't laughing at you liking The Crown. Watch the video, it'll make sense.

Another good Netflix show: Korean historical zombie thriller Kingdom.
    Vitiate Man.

No, no, I got it - I saw you linked a video so it made sense.

Any reviews on Man in the High Castle? That's next on my Prime Video list.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I'd like to know more about the High Castle.

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

Godfather of Harlem on Amazon is pretty great.
    Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

Did anyone watch Suits?

Proud

Been to:

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

No, no, I got it - I saw you linked a video so it made sense.

Any reviews on Man in the High Castle? That's next on my Prime Video list.
    Its a great concept, but it really lost me in season 2 and I stopped watching. I heard that season 4 is great but honestly, I cant be bothered.

Did anyone watch Suits?
    I watched the first few seasons, but the whole "will he be caught as a fraud" gets tiring real fast. I think I stopped around season 3.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Proud

Been to:

Member thankful for this post:

So... yeah, Witcher kind of took over the whole TV show spotlight in the past weeks. Sort of kind of the new Game of Thrones, at least in popularity level, not just the lore.

Also this -> https://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-...he-first-time/

Proud

Been to:

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

So... yeah, Witcher kind of took over the whole TV show spotlight in the past weeks. Sort of kind of the new Game of Thrones, at least in popularity level, not just the lore.

Also this -> https://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-...he-first-time/
    The Witcher is enjoyable, but disappointingly short and a bit disjointed story-wise imo. There's a lot to not like, but it was fun to watch at least.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

The Witcher was pretty good as a TV series but I think it is not as good as the books, most of the changes made seem to be changes for the sake of being different rather than adaptations to the medium of visual entertainment.

The decision to changes Dandelion's nom de plume from English into Polish, rather than providing a more accurate translation of the original doesn't add anything to the character, it just serves to obscure how ridiculously foppish he is. He also don't wear a hat.

Distinct lack of horses aside from Roach was strange and made it feel like a British fantasy series (that avoids the expense of working with animals) rather than an American one.

The presentation of Nilfgaard is - frankly - really bad and is pretty much a 180 degree flip from the books making the Nilfgaardian characters unambiguously bad guys - and religious zealots to boot.

That said, Henry Cavill is completely convincing as Geralt and Anna Chalotra really gets her teath stuck into playing Yen - I think she'll be the breakout star of the series. Anna Shaffer does a reasonably good job as Triss despite not really embodying the character physically - aside from Shaffer being mixed-race and therefore having somewhat darker colouring than Triss has in the books (which isn't really that important) the really discordant thing I found is that she's quite tall whereas Triss, like Yenn, is described as being very petite in the books and also rather girlish. The got the way she dresses down pat, though. Freya Allen as Ciri mostly has to react to what others are doing, it's a bit of a wan part and they focused so much on her experiences after the Nilgaardian attack that they missed the opportunity to develop her character before that. The actors playing Cahir and Fringilla are really just not given good material, but at least they commit to it.

I liked the way they dealt with magic and elves - I was less keen on the portrayal of dwarves, especially the idea that they're kept as actual slaves.

I think they wanted a through-line from the main story rather than more directly adapting the first two books (this would have meant no Ciri at all in series 1) and as a result the whole thing does feel rather rushed and compressed. It's also quite difficult to follow the time jumps unless you already know the story - something that could have been fixed by titled cards at the start of every scene.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Gonna do my first week of classes and then, week two after add-drop has closed, I am gonna binge watch season 5 of "Peaky" while the wife works over in Blighty.

LOVED it. Loved that they brought Alfie back.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 01-16-2020 at 04:44.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

If you have Amazon, you should be watching Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and The Expanse.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    If you have Amazon, you should be watching Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and The Expanse.
    My daughter is a fan of Maisel. I have yet to watch it, though it is on the "get to" list.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

As outlined by others, Witcher has some mixed reviews in which Henry Cavill is unanimously praised but there are gaps in the story which make it difficult for people to follow adequately. I've had friends tell me that they didn't fully grasp the whole story of the Witcher as potrayed from the TV show.

That being said, the games are fabulous. Check them out if you haven't.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The problem with the Witcher is that it is multiple stories occurring and being presented from different time-frames and eras. This can mess with the flow and can be seen as confusing. However, it ends with those stories merging together. In essence, season 1 is about setting up a bigger story from different threads being woven together.
    Last edited by Beskar; 01-15-2020 at 19:59.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Member thankful for this post:

Csargo 

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    The problem with the Witcher is that it is multiple stories occurring and being presented from different time-frames and eras. This can mess with the flow and can be seen as confusing. However, it ends with those stories merging together. In essence, season 1 is about setting up a bigger story from different threads being woven together.
    Which would have worked better with more, shorter, episodes to air more of those individual stores... episodically. It would also have benefited from having Ciri appear a bit less at the beginning and following her story chronologically. One friend of mine thought that Pavetta was an older version of Ciri because they look so similar.

Just saw S1:E1. I thought that was clear from the beginning? I got that multiple threads "Pulp Fiction" vibe from the outset.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Just saw S1:E1. I thought that was clear from the beginning? I got that multiple threads "Pulp Fiction" vibe from the outset.
    Some don't like it and others like Phil's friend got confused.
    It was a little off-putting at times as they could hypothetically made it more canonically timed. The argument against this is that it is a story about Ciri as much as the Witcher, so there are a lot of segments for her.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Some don't like it and others like Phil's friend got confused.
    It was a little off-putting at times as they could hypothetically made it more canonically timed. The argument against this is that it is a story about Ciri as much as the Witcher, so there are a lot of segments for her.
    Repeated allusions to "Destiny" and deathbed prophetic statements about being entwined with the other? How much foreshadowing do you need?

Nevermind, it is no doubt the parallel to those who love Oliver Stone movies. Stone never trusted his audience so he always had a "pound the summary of the theme/point like you are beating a dead horse" to end all his films. A pity really, as he was a crafty storyteller in the first 85% of all his movies -- if he only trusted the audience enough that they were able to get his message.

More annoying are the parts omitted, like Ciri and Geralt's first meeting, after which the ending of the series would make a lot more sense.

Took an interest in watching The Bodyguard, particularly because Robb Stark (Richard Madden) is a good actor. A bit too dark for my liking, a bit too realistic but it's been quite popular I understand.

Anybody watching The Boys? What an incredible show, easily my favorite of 2020.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I've watched 4 new TV shows and 2 new anime series this year (must be the pandemic). For one of them I can't recall, but all the rest had the curious feature of playing their intro theme/montage a few minutes into the program.

I'm not sure I can recall seeing an infixed intro before this year. Yet another show, not new (starting its fifth season this month), has also adopted the infixed intro; I know for sure that in prior seasons it followed the well-known standard of leading with the intro.

Is this a hot new trend in production?
    Last edited by Montmorency; 12-26-2020 at 19:51.
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Another good Netflix show: Korean historical zombie thriller Kingdom.
    How was it compared to The Walking Dead?
    Wooooo!!!

If you have HBO Max, I very very highly recommend Valley of Tears. Its an Israeli ministries about the Yom Kippur War set in the Golan Heights. It follows a bunch of soldiers through the first few days of the conflict. A really great story and extremely high production value. I was completely blown away by how good it was.

Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-27-2020 at 07:23.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    How was it compared to The Walking Dead?
    I haven't watched or read TWD. I hear it's bad after the first season of the show.

While the first season of Kingdom was more thrilling than the second, I found the latter a satisfactory conclusion to the arc (sequel-bait is teased at the end).

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    If you have HBO Max, I very very highly recommend Valley of Tears. Its an Israeli ministries about the Yom Kippur War set in the Golan Heights. It follows a bunch of soldiers through the first few days of the conflict. A really great story and extremely high production value. I was completely blown away by how good it was.
    But when does the intro play?
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    I've watched 4 new TV shows and 2 new anime series this year (must be the pandemic). For one of them I can't recall, but all the rest had the curious feature of playing their intro theme/montage a few minutes into the program.

I'm not sure I can recall seeing an infixed intro before this year. Yet another show, not new (starting its fifth season this month), has also adopted the infixed intro; I know for sure that in prior seasons it followed the well-known standard of leading with the intro.

Is this a hot new trend in production?
    It's fairly common in anime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast