Thread: Squalor in Rome: Total War

Default Squalor in Rome: Total War

Hey people!

I just started a thread because now I'm playing Rome: Total War and I have a question that I can't answer for myself...
    In Rome: Total War, how can I reduce (or even prevent at all) squalor in a settlement?
    I still don't figure it out how squalor is caused, and what may lead to squalor.
    Does population growth or overall population in a settlement causes that? And how to prevent it?
    If anyone knows why squalor is caused, I'll be glad to see an answer.

-Zethër

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Squalor in Rome: Total War

This question is best asked in the RTW Forum

I suspect a mod will soon move it there....
    High Plains Drifter

Member thankful for this post:

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Squalor in Rome: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Zethër View Post
    In Rome: Total War, how can I reduce (or even prevent at all) squalor in a settlement?
    I still don't figure it out how squalor is caused, and what may lead to squalor.
    Does population growth or overall population in a settlement causes that? And how to prevent it?
    We actually have a thread on this in the R:TW Game Mechanics forum. Short version: squalor is related to city size, and can be combatted by upgrading the government building (as well as traits/ancillaries of the governor). Health-related buildings do NOT affect squalor directly, though they counter its effects.

Member thankful for this post:

Squalor really pisses me off. It completely prevents me from playing normally at high difficulty levels, and even at medium difficulty level, I often have to cheat and add buildings that improve public order. I am glad that this problem was solved in Remaster by means of new campaign settings. It is very disappointing that in addition to the new mechanics of squalor, there is also a new mechanic for distributing slaves among settlements, when slaves are distributed evenly across all settlements, and not just among those in which the governor sits. I would like to play with the new squalor mechanic in Remaster, but with the old slave distribution mechanic.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Squalor really pisses me off. It completely prevents me from playing normally at high difficulty levels, and even at medium difficulty level, I often have to cheat and add buildings that improve public order.
    It's not that hard to control:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...-game%21%21%21

Post #22 has screenshots to show how well ZPG works. That's vanilla RTW---no modifications, and no keyboard cheats. Can be done with nearly any faction with a 95+% rate of success. Best part is, once ZPG is attained, no governor is required---saving your general from acquiring all those nasty traits that come from fat-and-lazy city living...

There's also this:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt.../37586-Squalor
    High Plains Drifter