Thread: whats the difference between morale and command stars?

Default whats the difference between morale and command stars?

Hello,
    I started playing MTW 1 again for nostalgia. The guides here are excellent but there are still some things i can't figure out, mostly because when i google questions, a lot of the answers are for MTW2.

i have a general with 6 command stars, but because he fled during a battle, he got punished with a vice that gives -6 morale. From what i understand, 1 command star = 1 morale, so does this mean that the net effect is 0?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: whats the difference between morale and command stars?

Welcome to the .Org, fishjie .

As I recall it, command stars don't give morale. Every second star gives +1 attack and defence, but not morale. So the units under his command will fight better, but will also start routing earlier. The M:TW beginner's guide contains more information.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: whats the difference between morale and command stars?

If I'm not mistaken, the whole army gets +1 morale for every 2 stars of the general (along with the attack/defense bonuses), while units close to the general (within 50 meters?) get +1 for every star.

Welcome to the .Org!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the whole army gets +1 morale for every 2 stars of the general (along with the attack/defense bonuses), while units close to the general (within 50 meters?) get +1 for every star.

Welcome to the .Org!
    I know that 2 stars of the general give +1 valor to the units. As to the closeness to the general, I wonder how distances are measured on the battle map?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I know that 2 stars of the general give +1 valor to the units ....
    Yes, and each +1 valor gives a unit +1 Attack, +1 Defense, and +2 morale. My impression has always been that the additional bonuses/penalties affecting a general as a result of virtues or vices are added on top of this basic mechanic.

I still have Yaz' Units Master Tools, which confirms the Attack, Defense, and Morale bonuses per Valor point.

Regarding the original question, assuming no other vice/virtue effects, yes, the net effect is no morale bonus for the stack (6-stars = +3 valor = +6 morale to each unit; -6 vice penalty negates morale bonus; Attack/Defense bonuses from 6 stars unaffected).
    Last edited by Togakure; 03-10-2020 at 09:59.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo