Thread: ALERT! ALERT! Tory Backbone detected!

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default ALERT! ALERT! Tory Backbone detected!

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51491662

The Chancellor of the Exchequer, Mr Javid, has resigned in protest at a power grab from No. 10. Or possibly from unelected wonk Dominic Cummings.

Didn't know he had it in him.

In other news arch back-stabber Geoffrey Cox (once my local MP) has been "asked to resign" with Boris perhaps fearing he might suffer the same fate as Theresa otherwise.

Of course, this leaves the Prime Minister embarrassed - I wonder who will carry the can for that?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Blog Entries

Default Re: ALERT! ALERT! Tory Backbone detected!

I refuse to recognise the phenomenon of a tory actually posessing any bone. Cartilage at best.

Did you hear Hammond got a peerage? The hell does it take for a man to be kicked out of the tories these days? Bludgeon the speaker with the royal mace?

Then again if it was the last speaker he'd probably earn the peerage for that.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-13-2020 at 16:36.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Bit excessive, but you're not totally wrong.

Dominic Cummings is to Boris Johnson what George Osborne was to David Cameron, the Devil on his shoulder. It'll be interesting to see if Cummings is ejected where Osborne was not. MY understanding is that Johnson and Cummings are not personally close so if he proves an embarressment, which is happening he may get squashed.

He's also not elected, whilst that means the public can't throw him out it means his firing will automatically be popular - the British tend to loathe un-elected functionaries not appointed by HM Queen Herself.

Blog Entries

I am not sure what is going on with cummings, before the election I got the impression his influence was to keep boris from devolving into wet-ness, after the election I cannot say how much of that is still true, what with the rehabilitation of a number of the remainers, the mansion tax, the huawei idiocy and the empowering of ofcom.

Then again for the last one its not like the wets have a monopoly on censorship, just greater opportunities last 10 years.

Only thing I do think is happening is he's being used as a hate sink: someone who is safer to criticize without fear of being seen to directly attack the PM. How much he deserves that criticism I dont know.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-13-2020 at 21:43.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Too understand Cummings mission in govt it is far more instructive to look at Cummings the dept edu Spad, not Cummings the campain messaging genius.

Together with Gove and a few other likeminded Spads they took on and trnasformed the most unreformable department in gov't. Education.

He cares about brexit only insomuch as the status quo inertia prevents him implementing his vision of high performance organisations.

If you are interested in cummings then you quite frankly [must] read tim shipmans All out war.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Great, Now Javid. Is there any more money-pilfering bankers the remoaners won't rehabilitate for providing token resistance to Boris Johnson?

Honour? Moral backbone? We knew they didn't have that when they were in cabinet and they most certainly don't now. What motivates them isn't some higher standard; it's bitterness for rendering their own ambitions impotent.

So wound up he'd embrace the devil if he spits in Johnson's direction, its derangement, truly."
    Last edited by Beskar; 02-14-2020 at 20:13.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

I'm just glad we have a chancellor who really understands the economy - an Oxbridge banker who runs hedge funds. I wonder what his priorities will be? Greatest good to the greatest number? Lol
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

I don't know why but when I first started reading the thread title I had a visceral fright. I was about ready to go pack a bugout bag. Manage your tools responsibly.

Anyway, Johnson apparently also showed backbone to Trump in the Huawei affair. They even yelled at each other over the phone and cancelled meetings.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    "Great, Now Javid. Is there any more money-pilfering bankers the remoaners won't rehabilitate for providing token resistance to Boris Johnson?

Honour? Moral backbone? We knew they didn't have that when they were in cabinet and they most certainly don't now. What motivates them isn't some higher standard; it's bitterness for rendering their own ambitions impotent.

So wound up he'd embrace the devil if he spits in Johnson's direction, its derangement, truly."
    Is this more because you think higher of romney and mccain than me, or worse of javid?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-15-2020 at 02:03.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    ...Greatest good to the greatest number?
    Were you of belief that "the greatest number" referred to number of people? How quaint.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Is this more because you think higher of romney and mccain than me, or worse of javid?
    I thought it was a good opportunity to rehash that post.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    I'm just glad we have a chancellor who really understands the economy - an Oxbridge banker who runs hedge funds. I wonder what his priorities will be? Greatest good to the greatest number? Lol
    I know it's not really helpful to point his out, but to be fair there's not a lot of the economy outside London.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    I know it's not really helpful to point his out, but to be fair there's not a lot of the economy outside London.
    I would kind of disagree here - London is an aggregate and has most of the service industry, but manufacturing is scattered throughout the country. London is banking and services; everything else is in the country.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

What are you taking about
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are you aware of the industry along the M4 corridor?

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill