Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Coronavirus / COVID-19

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19

Also found this published work concerning the future of the WHO:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4567849/

I propose that the assembly create a special chief operating officer to ensure fundamental reform of the organization’s funding and governance. It is clear that the D-G is too politically influenced by member states to make the bold decisions needed to finally bring the WHO into the 21st century and ensure its future. Without this kind of push from the outside, the WHO’s future as a global health leader could be anemic at best.
    Concerning the Theodore Rooseveldt:

There are challenges associated with securing individualized lodging for our crew. This will require a political solution but it is the right thing to do. We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die. If we do not act now, we are failing to pr0perly take care of our most trusted asset our Sailors.
    Trump has shown complete disconnect with what's happening to the people of his country. Can't wait for his response to what's happening to the personnel of a nuclear CVN

Asked Tuesday what should be done about the Roosevelt, President Trump said he would “let the military make that decision.”
    For one ship, perhaps, but what if there are others?
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; Yesterday at 17:52.
    High Plains Drifter

Like this guy said, I too became aware of the dangers since January. It makes me wonder how so many of the governments were unaware.
    Wooooo!!!

Blog Entries

I think a certain amount of complacency has developed what with the amount of epidemics that didnt really go anywhere like swine flu, bird flu, SARS, even ebola which while itdid turn into a pandemic that is still going fairly strong, was a localized one.

I expect most of them had become accustomed to waiting for the WHO to weigh in on it before taking action, making it's compromised status all the more damaging.
    Last edited by Greyblades; Today at 07:50.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post

Like this guy said, I too became aware of the dangers since January. It makes me wonder how so many of the governments were unaware.
    In the UK, we've got used to the idea of explaining away reality with politics. See all the expert opinions I cited on Brexit, and all the Brexit supporters waving them away as irrelevant because the will of the people mattered above all else, and the recent landslide victory of a PM who promised Brexit but offered no evidence of competence or accountability. The current government is used to the idea that actions, reasoning for actions and consequences of actions don't matter. The only thing that matters is how actions affect political ratings, and as long as that works out, their actions and plans for future actions work out.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    In the UK, we've got used to the idea of explaining away reality with politics. See all the expert opinions I cited on Brexit, and all the Brexit supporters waving them away as irrelevant...
    I'm afraid I can't give this notion any credence at all:

The EU is a hybrid that crosses policy and implementation. What was sold as a very technocratic body designed to do quite apolitical things – such as facilitate the convergence of technical standards – has now morphed into an arbiter of public policy. Indeed, key areas of political policy making such as a justice, social, and economic policy.Should prisoners vote? What is the maximum number of hours that can be worked? Should we discourage high-frequency trading?

These areas of policy could not be questioned, because, well, that is the nature of the aquis! As an EU competence they could not be amended or scrapped by national lawmaking. This sits rather poorly with the notion of a Sovereign Parliament, able to lawfully enact anything that a simple majority of its lawmakers agree to. Sorry, out of bounds. This sits equally poorly with a public culture that accepts a majoritarian electoral system, and expects the same lack of impediments to direct plebiscites. Hold on there, that’s not for you to decide. So what is to be done? Simples; pretend the EU isn’t making political choices upon which success or failure can be pronounced. No, it is all simply technocratic implementation of common standards. It is not subject to preference, the appropriate committee has deemed this outcome to be optimal.

This is the context into which Gove dropped his bombshell on experts. He called time on the conspiracy that hid political governance behind a façade of dry technocratic implementation.

And a lot of people seemed to revel in the new found opportunity criticise what was exposed as nothing more or less than a political institution to be weighed, judged, and pronounced upon. For politics is not subject to factual interpretation alone, it is explicitly a value based activity subject to personal preference and collective priority.

Why does it infuriate some people so? Because it forced those for whom the EU is an identity as well as an institution to confront the fact that very few people feel the same way. Their preferences were rational, the experts agreed.

Oops, well that has changed.
    Last edited by Furunculus; Today at 09:36.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Blog Entries

Its like the emperor's new clothes if the emperor and the rest of the feudal system's power was reliant on keeping his nakedness unacknowledged.
    Last edited by Greyblades; Today at 13:25.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

You'll have to explain that one to me...
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516