Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Former British Colony in Downward Spiral of Ethnic Violence, State Security Impunity

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Former British Colony in Downward Spiral of Ethnic Violence, State Security Impun

The vast majority of people I saw today were wearing masks, but I am still going to get tested for coronavirus this week.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Default Re: Former British Colony in Downward Spiral of Ethnic Violence, State Security Impun

Attorney General William Barr says law enforcement officers were already moving to push back protesters from a park in front of the White House when he arrived there Monday evening, and he says he did not give a command to disperse the crowd, though he supported the decision.
    [...]
    “I’m not involved in giving tactical commands like that,” he said. “I was frustrated and I was also worried that as the crowd grew, it was going to be harder and harder to do. So my attitude was get it done, but I didn’t say, ‘Go do it.’”

Hey Pannonian, remember those Buffalo cops? Here is a report that at least some claim they were reacting to the union's refusal to fund legal fees for the police accused of misconduct related to the protests.

The officers we spoke with said the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association’s statement asserting all 57 officers resigned from ERT in a "show of support” with the two officers that were suspended without pay is not true.

“I don’t understand why the union said it’s a thing of solidarity. I think it sends the wrong message that ‘we’re backing our own’ and that’s not the case,” said one officer with whom we spoke.

“We quit because our union said [they] aren’t legally backing us anymore. So why would we stand on a line for the City with no legal backing if something [were to] happen? Has nothing to do with us supporting,” said another.
    A little of Column A, a little of Column B perhaps.
    https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1269322620316442625

At a time when hundreds of thousands of public sector workers have lost their jobs due to the recession, this may be the moment to reprioritize personnel expenditures...

Therefore...

Ed Zitron
    @edzitron
    The NYPD is reporting that Antifa has painted convincing-looking tunnels on walls to trick New York's Finest into running into them at high speed
    On the other hand, a horrific scene in Atlanta where a massive mob of armed BLACK brigands VAPORIZE an officer of the law with a wall of gunfire!
    [Graphic content]
    https://twitter.com/ChefAnthonyDC/st...04059716571138

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    And heeeere we go.......
    Militias (Oath Keepers, Three Percenters, et al.) in the Unadministered Tribal Zones have been mobilizing to counter the expected invasion of Antifa supersoldiers for years. Here's an example. They have routinely found themselves disappointed (granted that this may be the wrong word). It's when they venture afield that we have a problem. Although.....

https://www.inquirer.com/news/fishto...-20200602.html

Very cool.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 06-07-2020 at 05:05.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I couldn't attend, but there was a decent-sized protest today within a mile of my residence. Someone tell me if this checks out, but scanning various media I get the impression that various people around the country have registered something of the circumstances we're in - such that there's been far less police brutality lately than there was a week ago.

To consolidate some COVID news, NYC will finally enter Phase I of reopening, nearly 3 months after the lockdown began. (Interesting to see how the hospitalization/death rate will be affected by late June. Evidence has accumulated that outdoor contact should be fairly low-risk for transmission, so if mass outdoor gatherings also turn out not to be spreader events in the way indoor gatherings are - I suppose we all just take our business and schooling outdoors? On the other hand, the protests are very disproportionately youthful, so those demographics will skew any ramifications.)

Meanwhile, New York has again made a quantum leap in testing. Pushing past 60K tests daily since the end of May, running even with California again and maintaining a cumulative gap of over 100K. Not this time, after all. Not this time.
    Vitiate Man.

Also Mitt Romney attended one of the BLM marches today and said as much on his Twitter. Though considering that his dad was a big civil right movement supporter its not entirely surprising.

But things are definitely changing. Minneapolis is apparently going to dismantle its police force in favor of community based strategies. I'm intrigued how this will play out, because if it works it could be a model for the rest of the country.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    To consolidate some COVID news...
    Relevant to our benevolent overlord, some of the anonymous "police" patrolling DC have been identified as Federal Bureau of Prison guards from Texas, both Beaumont and Three Rivers. And as we all know, meatpacking plants, elder care facilities, and prisons are the Covid-19 hotspots, including the federal prison at Beaumont where both guards and prisoners have tested positive. So raise your glasses to Bill Barr, Attorney General and devout Nurgle cultist!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The first of what will likely be many police reform bills is out.

The Justice in Policing Act of 2020 was introduced on Monday by top Democratic lawmakers House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, black senators Kamala Harris and Cory Booker and members of the Congressional Black Caucus....

The bill forces federal police to use body and dashboard cameras, ban chokeholds, eliminate unannounced police raids known as "no-knock warrants", make it easier to hold police liable for civil rights violations and calls for federal funds to be withheld from local police forces who do not make similar reforms.

The bill makes lynching a federal crime, limits the sale of military weapons to the police and gives the Department of Justice the authority to investigate state and local police for evidence of department-wide bias or misconduct.

It would also create a "national police misconduct registry" - a database of complaints against police.
    I think this is a very good start, however it remains to be seen if McConnell will even bother bringing it up for a vote. The article says that the Republicans are considering drafting their own bill but knowing them it will be something very pro-police so really it would be dead upon arrival.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Relevant to the point about police riots being the primary source of violence on American streets lately, this study of late-20th c. protests found that when the protests were themed on police violence, the police response tended to be more present and more repressive.

Passes the smell test these days.

From June 7:

British activists roll a statue of Edward Colston into a river. [VIDEO]
    https://twitter.com/boringdystopian/...43323532292096

"A crowd has climbed onto the statue of colonial King Léopold II in #Brussels chanting “murderer” and waving the flag of the Democratic Republic of Congo where his atrocities took place."
    https://twitter.com/jackeparrock/sta...56961693421568 [VIDEO]

Like what I said, don't rest on your laurels Euroweenies.

In COVID news, New Zealand declares SARS-2 eradicated 2.5 weeks since the last identified new case, and lifts the lockdown. I would have waited at least another week just to be safe, but OK. The epicenters of the pandemic are now Brazil, Russia, Iran, India, and many of their respective neighbors. Hits ya like a bag of brics.

Also, re: COVID and NHS. My previous tangential comments referencing the NHS and capacity or occupancy were horribly naive. I just learned that a major NHS controversy has been the continual reduction of spare capacity over decades. By the beginning of the pandemic, the NHS was operating at 90% capacity as the normal state of things. Did an Orgah previously disclose that and I just missed it? Anyway, that's pretty terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    The first of what will likely be many police reform bills is out.

I think this is a very good start, however it remains to be seen if McConnell will even bother bringing it up for a vote. The article says that the Republicans are considering drafting their own bill but knowing them it will be something very pro-police so really it would be dead upon arrival.
    Like with the other criminal justice reform in 2018, this would be a very first step if passed. Though of course it will never leave the House. What are some concrete ways to leverage federal authority and incentives over state and local policing?

I'll have to dive into what precisely the changes to qualified immunity are.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 06-09-2020 at 04:44.
    Vitiate Man.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Relevant to the point about police riots being the primary source of violence on American streets lately, this study of late-20th c. protests found that when the protests were themed on police violence, the police response tended to be more present and more repressive.

Passes the smell test these days.

From June 7:

British activists roll a statue of Edward Colston into a river. [VIDEO]
    https://twitter.com/boringdystopian/...43323532292096

"A crowd has climbed onto the statue of colonial King Léopold II in #Brussels chanting “murderer” and waving the flag of the Democratic Republic of Congo where his atrocities took place."
    https://twitter.com/jackeparrock/sta...56961693421568 [VIDEO]

Like what I said, don't rest on your laurels Euroweenies.

In COVID news, New Zealand declares SARS-2 eradicated 2.5 weeks since the last identified new case, and lifts the lockdown. I would have waited at least another week just to be safe, but OK. The epicenters of the pandemic are now Brazil, Russia, Iran, India, and many of their respective neighbors. Hits ya like a bag of brics.

Also, re: COVID and NHS. My previous tangential comments referencing the NHS and capacity or occupancy were horribly naive. I just learned that a major NHS controversy has been the continual reduction of spare capacity over decades. By the beginning of the pandemic, the NHS was operating at 90% capacity as the normal state of things. Did an Orgah previously disclose that and I just missed it? Anyway, that's pretty terrible.
    It's part of the ideological reduction of state expenditure to a pre-determined level of GDP that a certain Orgah has been enthusiastic about. The economist that said Orgah has been trumpeting has talked about a number of things that will happen as a result of that. We're just seeing what happens when the real world collides with that mentality.

Vitiate Man.

Ongoing protests, tear gas, in France over stuff.
    https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/pari...tality/1871332
    https://www.voanews.com/europe/anger...rench-lockdown

Under France's strictest virus lockdown measures, from March 17-May 11, the government restricted people's movements to a kilometer (half-mile) around their homes and required that anyone leaving their homes carry a signed paper stating why. Punishments included fines starting at 135 euros (about $150), or even prison.

On the first day punishments were doled out, 10% of the fines given in the entire country were given in the region of Seine-Saint-Denis on Paris' northern edge, where unemployment is twice the national average, almost one person out of three is an immigrant, and many others are the descendants of immigrants.

Government officials defended the fines as necessary to fight the virus in a region with especially high infection rates. [Why did this region have especially high infection rates? I've seen this movie before. ]

But police union leader Yves Lefebvre lamented that the lockdown measures "again made the police a repressive tool."

"Public services have deserted these neighborhoods," and police are the only presence left, which "necessarily leads to confrontation," he said.

And I guess there are protests in Brazil for similar reasons. Woooo.
    https://www.ft.com/content/3d2f6986-...6-7c300513fe47

It would be for the best if global unrest synergizes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_of_2019
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/w...-protests.html

Vitiate Man.

Blog Entries

One man is left fighting for his life after rioters found another reason why tearing down statues is a stupid thing to do.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Something which I havent seen much coverage of are the two hangings of Black men in California, both from trees. Both happened in the relative vicinity of each other. The police arent saying foul play but the families are saying that something is off and are pressing for more investigating, especially with the current racial tensions.

And then theres the resignation of the Atlanta police chief after police killed a man fleeing arrest after sleeping at a Wendy's drive-through. This case is a more complicated as the suspect was in an altercation with the cops and then was killed while pointing a taser at the cops. Whether deadly force was appropriate, well thats harder to determine, but I think its also appropriate to discuss that maybe Rayshard Brooks decided to fight and run because he knew that complying wouldn’t necessarily guarantee his safety.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 06-14-2020 at 04:57.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Man jailed for urinating at PC Keith Palmer memorial during protest

Andrew Banks, 28, of Stansted, Essex, was photographed during Saturday's right-wing protests in London.

He was sentenced to 14 days in custody, after pleading guilty to outraging public decency at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

Prosecutor Michael Mallon said Banks, a Tottenham Hotspur fan, was in central London to "protect statues", but admitted he did not know which statues.

He was said to have drunk 16 pints during Friday night into Saturday morning, and had not been to sleep.

I posted some hints of evolving civil-military relations under Trump, but it has certainly been... interesting to see so many retired and serving military, as well as ranking officials and leaders, denounce or deprecate Trump since the Lafayette Park debacle. I remind you that polling had Trump underwater with active duty personnel, including officers even before the pandemic! He was less popular with officers than with the general population, and the officer class has been famously, overwhelmingly Republican forever!

Polling so far has been firmly pro-Black Lives Matter, to the point where in one poll a majority of respondents viewed the targeted arson of a police precinct building as at least somewhat justified. Here is a more extensive Pew study, usually benchmarks. Some highlights:

• 31% of white adults strongly support BLM, with a similar proportion somewhat supporting it
    • 40% of Republicans at least somewhat support BLM
    • Two-thirds of Americans have had conversations about race with friends and family recently (of course this would also include the 'exterminate the brutes' type of exchanges that I've been party to)
    • 6% of polled adults claim to have attended a protest or rally about racial issues recently; if true this makes the 2020 BLM protest wave the biggest in American history (the other 4 biggest protest movements in American history have all taken place within the past 3.5 years.........)

Six-in-ten Americans say the president has been delivering the wrong message to the country in response to these protests. Asked about Trump’s handling of race relations more generally, about half (48%) say he has made race relations worse; 19% say he has made progress toward improving race relations, 19% say he has tried but failed to make progress and 12% say the president hasn’t addressed the issue.

In San Francisco: Police will be replaced with professional mediators in responding to civil complaints or disturbances. Among other proposals. The seeming enthusiasm of the local police union and Chamber of Commerce toward the proposals leaves me apprehensive though. San Jose, San Francisco, and LA police unions activating the spillway...

So the Minneapolis City Council passed a resolution to dissolve their police department and replace it with a "community-led public safety system." Of course, this just initiates a year-long process to figure out what that means, how to implement it, and how to proceed.

It's tough to defend beat cops when you know, well, all the racism and fascism, but also their departments' dire clearance rates for criminal incidents and their near-total uselessness for stopping crimes in progress. And then there's this.
    https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/06...s-video-shows/

A group of Chicago Police officers entered Rep. Bobby Rush’s closed Englewood office and lounged, napped and made popcorn, doing nothing while looters destroyed South Side businesses nearby, video shows.

Rush, whose office is at 55th Street and South Wentworth Avenue, said he got a call his office had been burglarized during the widespread looting and vandalism that took place throughout the city early June 1.

After viewing security footage, Rush’s staff saw a group of about eight uniformed police officers enter the office while looting took place nearby. The officers napped, made popcorn and coffee, played on their phones and generally lounged, the congressman said.

At one point, as many as 13 officers — including three supervisors — were in the office relaxing, officials said. Officers were in the office for four to five hours.

At the same time, nearby businesses were looted and burned down. More than a dozen people were killed throughout the city that night.
    It's well-known that police have and do permit property destruction as a gesture of petty vindictiveness toward their municipalities during protests, but it only serves to further undermine the case for suffering them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    And then theres the resignation of the Atlanta police chief after police killed a man fleeing arrest after sleeping at a Wendy's drive-through. This case is a more complicated as the suspect was in an altercation with the cops and then was killed while pointing a taser at the cops. Whether deadly force was appropriate, well thats harder to determine, but I think its also appropriate to discuss that maybe Rayshard Brooks decided to fight and run because he knew that complying wouldn’t necessarily guarantee his safety.
    Let's lay out the incident:
    https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...gsevgIc2Q7ZkJ/

The incident began about 10:30 p.m. outside the fast food chain on University Avenue, GBI spokeswoman Nelly Miles said. Officers were called to the restaurant after receiving a complaint about a man asleep in his vehicle, which forced other customers to go around his car to get their food at the window.
    Police should not be called in these circumstances.

The man, Atlanta resident Rayshard Brooks, was given a field sobriety test, which he reportedly failed, according to the GBI. After failing the test, the officers attempted to place the male subject into custody,” Miles said.
    Assuming the man was sleeping off alcohol, police should not have attempted to arrest him. At most, there could have been cause to have the vehicle towed.

“During the arrest, the male subject resisted and a struggle ensued. The officer deployed a Taser.”
    The officers should have stopped struggling, having initiated the struggle.

According to police, Brooks managed to take the Taser away from the officer before being shot. He was taken to the hospital where he later died, Miles said. Cellphone video captured by a Wendy's customer appears to show two officers struggling with Brooks in the parking lot. He appeared to be running away from them when he was fatally shot. BI Director Vic Reynolds said surveillance footage from the Wendy’s appeared to show Brooks turn toward the police and attempt to fire the Taser as he ran away. That’s when the officer chasing Brooks pulled out his gun and shot him, authorities said.
    If it is true that the suspect attempted to use the taser on pursuing officers while fleeing, and that this could justify immediate force escalation by the police (two bullets in the back), then surely the suspect was quite right to be fleeing officers' use of taser against his person - as would any suspect.

In reality there was not even a scintilla of cause for lethal force here. If you have the (allegedly inebriated) suspect's vehicle, you have his registration information and (likely primary) conveyance. If the suspect escapes police on the scene, they can in almost all cases be subsequently apprehended at leisure.

The intervention of the police was at least inappropriate at every step of the way. Many cops are willing and eager to sacrifice blue lives in exchange for opportunities to degrade and end black lives. Blue Lives Matter, what a cynical crock.

Modern police are THE dangerous servant and fearful master, so one would think reining then could slot into a bipartisan movement, but there have always been far more misarchists than "small-government" conservatives. Fusionism (significant overlap with neoconservatism) was ultimately the same shit btw, though the Republican base never had as much specific concern with the interests of the transnational elite as fusionists did.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Saturday's right-wing protests in London.
    Assembly of the master race.

Hundreds of mostly middle-aged white men, many shirtless or clutching beers, gathered in Parliament Square, where video showed a small number of right-wing protesters throwing objects at a line of police, some of whom responded with batons.
    f
    Last edited by Montmorency; 06-16-2020 at 09:00.
    Vitiate Man.

Member thankful for this post:

Boojahid was the killer, and an infiltrator to boot. To my knowledge the first killing associated with the creed.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...ornia-n1231187

An Air Force sergeant who was arrested in the fatal ambush of a Santa Cruz County deputy was charged Tuesday in connection with the killing of a federal security officer during George Floyd protests in Oakland last month, authorities said.

Staff Sgt. Steven Carrillo, 32, was charged with murder and attempted murder in the killing of federal officer Dave Patrick Underwood, 53.

Underwood was one of two officers who were shot May 29 while guarding the Ronald V. Dellums Federal Building. The other officer was critically wounded in the drive-by attack. Both were members of Homeland Security's Federal Protective Service.

Authorities said Carrillo and a second man traveled to Oakland with the intent to kill police and believed the large demonstrations spurred by the death of Floyd in Minneapolis — which they were not a part of — would help them get away it.

"They came to Oakland to kill cops," said John Bennett, special agent in charge of the San Francisco division of the FBI.

Carrillo's alleged accomplice, Robert Justus, was also charged with murder and attempted murder.

The killing of Underwood set off a massive manhunt. Eight days later, officers showed up at Carrillo's home after they discovered an abandoned white van that belonged to him and contained ammunition, firearms and bomb-making equipment, authorities said.

Carrillo ambushed the officers, killing Santa Cruz County Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller and critically injuring another deputy, according to authorities.

Carrillo suffered a gunshot wound but managed to flee the scene on feet, authorities said. He carjacked a vehicle but was ultimately taken into custody, bleeding from his hip, authorities said.

He was charged with multiple offenses, including murder and attempted murder, in the attack on the Santa Cruz County officers.

Federal authorities said an AR-15 was recovered at the scene where Carrillo was arrested and linked to the Oakland federal courthouse shooting. The assault rifle used by Carrillo was privately made, had no markings and had a silencer attached to the barrel of the weapon, authorities said.

Investigators found inside Carrillo's vehicle a ballistic vest with a patch on it that featured an igloo and a Hawaiian-style print — symbols associated with the far-right extremist "Boogaloo" movement, according to his federal complaint.

Carrillo, prior to his arrest, used his own blood to scrawl the word “boog” and “I became unreasonable” on the hood of the vehicle he carjacked, the complaint says. Both phrases are also associated with "Boogaloo," a term used by extremists to reference a violent uprising or impending civil war in the U.S., the complaint says.
    According to the complaint, Carrillo wrote in a Facebook group on May 28 that the unrest is “on our coast now, this needs to be nationwide” and that “it’s a great opportunity to target the specialty soup bois."

In Boogaloo groups on Facebook and Reddit, “soup bois” is shorthand for government agencies that are abbreviated in acronyms like “alphabet soup" such as the FBI and ATF.

Online Boogaloo communities frequently post memes about targeting federal agencies in advance of another civil war.

In response to Carrillo’s message, the complaint alleges Justus wrote “let’s boogie,” another reference to the Boogaloo movement.

In Boogaloo Facebook groups, the complaint says, Carrillo was even more explicit about taking advantage of protests to stir up unrest and violence against police.

“Go to the riots and support our own cause. Show them the real targets. Use their anger to fuel our fire. Think outside the box. We have mobs of angry people to use to our advantage,” Carillo wrote in one Facebook group, according to the complaint.

Carrillo believed that the Boogaloo, or second civil war, was “kicking off now and if its not kicking off in your hood then start it,” according to the complaint.

Boogaloo groups are actively allowed on Facebook. Earlier this month, Facebook told NBC News it would stop recommending the groups in its recommendations algorithm, but the groups would be allowed on the site.
    Backgrounder by Robert Evans
    https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2020...hat-you-think/

@Strike For The South
    Last edited by Montmorency; 06-17-2020 at 03:31.
    Vitiate Man.

Updates in the Atlanta shooting introduced here by Hooah:

Here's some video compilation from the scene.
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/0...ng-orig-kj.cnn

The shooting officer has been detained on charges of felony murder and more. His partner is facing aggravated assault charges. In response, many Atlanta officers have walked off the job in a self-abolishing tantrum.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/live-up...h-felony-murde
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/us/ra...day/index.html

The now-fired Atlanta Police officer who faces a felony murder charge for fatally shooting Rayshard Brooks last week kicked the 27-year-old man after he fell to the ground, Fulton County's district attorney said Wednesday. DA Paul Howard announced 11 charges against Garrett Rolfe, who five days ago fired three shots at Brooks, two of which hit Brooks in the back and another that hit a car with three people inside. After Rolfe shot Brooks, he exclaimed, "I got him," kicked Brooks as he struggled for his life, and failed to give timely first aid, Howard said. [...] The demeanor after the shooting "did not reflect any fear or danger of Mr. Brooks, but reflected other kinds of emotions," Howard said.
    https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1273339116642537472
    Fulton County DA Paul Howard: For 41 minutes and 17 seconds Rayshard Brooks followed all instructions. He was also never told he was being arrested for driving under the influence which police are required to do.

"Mr. Brooks never presented himself as a threat," Howard says.

Fulton County District Attorney Paul L. Howard, Jr. says one officer kicked Rayshard Brooks and another one stood on his shoulders as Brooks was fighting for his life on the ground after being shot.

Fulton County DA Paul Howard says former officer Garrett Rolfe is being charged with 11 charges including -- felony murder, three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, criminal damage to property, violation of oath, & aggravated assault (for kicking Rayshard Brooks).

A key detail: Fulton County DA Paul Howard says former officer Garrett Rolfe knew that the taser Rayshard Brooks was holding had been fired twice and didn't pose any danger to the officers when Brooks turned and tried to fire it at officers before Rolfe shot Brooks in the back.

Reminder that all cops are criminal scum until proven otherwise.
    https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...142223872.html

Want to know why it’s so hard for #cops to be ‘good apples’...

It was 2007 and I was assisting a call with an officer I’d never met before. He was from another team working overtime. Right in front of me he broke a kids nose with a punch. The septum was clearly deviated and
    blood was everywhere. The kid was handcuffed and the officer enquired of me “what should ‘we’ arrest him for?” “What did he do?” I enquired. “He called me a name.” he said. After 20 mins of him trying to persuade me we should fabricate a crime he had to let the kid go. “We need
    to do notes, get our story straight” he then told me. I don’t need assistance in writing what happened. I found a quiet place and wrote the facts. As I wrote I was joined by a female A/Sgt who knew this officer. She spent 20 mins trying to convince me this kid was a “shitbag” &
    my notes should ‘reflect the danger he posed’. I was disgusted. We don’t behave this way. I went to the Platoon Commander and provide a statement for the assault I’d witnessed. An investigation commenced, one which should have been forwarded to @SIUOntario. The investigator
    asked me questions like “How do you know his nose was broken?” and “Where did you get your medical degree?” (seriously?) Then came the result, a phone call from the Suptintendent whilst I was home. “Paul, our investigation is complete and you’ve been found guilt of misconduct
    in that you failed to communicate with a colleague. A verbal warning will be put on file. Be careful in the future.” When I got back to work I was move from my team, and away from my friends, to this officers team. Officers just point blank refused to talk to me and I went to
    many calls by myself, without backup. Then a message from another officer on team to meet him. He told me how we “look after” each other on this team. “Don’t stab each other in the back.” Then for some fucked up reason, he dropped the ‘n-bomb’ out of nowhere. I just drove off
    leaving him sat there. Then I was called into the Deputy Chiefs office, with the same Superintendent and my Union rep. In front of both he told me to “be careful what you say in the future or you might not get backup when you need it.” I was an A/Inspector when I left the Met in
    2005 to move to #Canada, but my appraisal that year reflected incompetence and unworthiness of the position of constable. Every position or course I applied for I was refused. I continued to #whistleblow until the Chief told me “You really have no concept of brotherhood, do you?”
    Then I whistleblew #anonymous. 2015ish after going off sick with #PTSD from an attempt murder I went public with everything, to be met with a ‘covert operation’ by not only senior management by member of the City council and lawyers, telling anyone who would listen I’m “nuts,
    crazy and delusional.” This is how they deal with officers who tried to do the right thing. Two warrants on my home, numerous criminal investigation and one arrest later and I’ll still do the right thing no matter what they try and do to me.
    The officer who broke that kids nose is now a Sergeant, probably helping others cover up their wrongdoings. Me, I’m off sick and will probably never find gainful employment again. Was it worth it. Fuck, no! Would I do the same? Fuck, yes! Would I advise other officers to break
    the ‘blue wall of silence.’ Well thats for them to decide, but it will end your career.

Until you offer protection for ‘good apples’ you asking them to give up their careers b/c of someone elses wrongdoing.

#PoliceBrutality #blm #BlackLivesMatter #PoliceReform
    Addition for naysayers; this is a very small story in a massive corruption scandal. I used this story b/c it showed every step of a system used to demoralize anyone who would report wrongdoing. The police have effectively stopped defending the lawsuit. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...suit-1.5289424

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    I've watched the whole show of force from all sides in the past month with a mixture of hope, cynicism and a good dose of reality that things will budge just a bit and won't move forwards that much.

Some of the results are definitely positive - removing statues of Leopold IInd (why is this still around????) - some results which were very questionable (defacing Churchill...uhh?), some results which were ideas with a certain intent but with a horrendously bad implementation (defunding the police).

Fact of the matter is, protesting is part of a healthy democracy and having them so lit up in the past month shows that people desperately want things to change. For good reason, mind you, but any single deviation from that mark (looting) is going to significantly hurt the desire for change for the general population. Because it often occurs that while Joe who owns a small business and heartily supports BLM is forced to shutdown because his store was defaced and looted, this is only going to bite you back.

Which is a shame because the concern of the protests is very, very valid.
    The ethics or empirical effects of targeted property destruction are legitimate subjects of discussion - though I disagree, there are those who advocate for them as affirmatively good - but one who allows personal distaste at the sight of a broken storefront to displace their assessment of the underlying issues displays a weak commitment to addressing the causes of unrest.

This fellow is pretty upstanding, though he presents a rather high standard to rise to.

On Friday morning, as dawn broke through the smoke hanging over Minneapolis, the Gandhi Mahal Restaurant was severely damaged by fire. Hafsa Islam, whose father owns the Bangladeshi-Indian restaurant with members of his family, woke at 6 a.m. to hear the news. “At first, I was angry,” said Ms. Islam, 18. “This is my family’s main source of income.” But then she overheard her father, Ruhel Islam, speaking to a friend on the phone. “Let my building burn,” he said. “Justice needs to be served.” On Friday afternoon, after the fire stopped smoldering and the family came together, he repeated his support for the protests that had closed his restaurant. “We can rebuild a building, but we cannot rebuild a human,” said Mr. Islam, 42. “The community is still here, and we can work together to rebuild.”
    [...]
    “I understand why people did what they did,” she said of the demonstrators. “They had tried with the peaceful protesting, and it hasn’t been working.” Gandhi Mahal opened in 2008, during the Great Recession. Although Mr. Islam believes in nonviolent protest — he named his restaurant in honor of Mohandas K. Gandhi — he empathizes with the frustration of many Minneapolis residents. “I am going to continuously promote peaceful ways and nonviolent movement,” he said. “But our younger generation is angry, and there’s reason to be angry.”
    [...]
    “We were just trying to do what we could to help our community,” said Ms. Islam, who helped treat wounded protesters. “Sure, we had our business. Sure, we were trying to keep our kitchen open. But more than anything, we were concerned for our people.” The tension in Mr. Islam’s adopted city reminds him of his childhood in Bangladesh, when he lived through a dictatorship. Two of his fellow students were killed by the police, he said. “We grew up in a traumatic police state, so I am familiar with this type of situation,” he said.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 06-19-2020 at 06:03.
    Vitiate Man.

Default Re: Trump Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    English is your second language, so it is probably not classy mocking those for misunderstanding.
    You seem to be digging yourself into an ever deeper hole. English is my third language.

The "link" is not for URLs, but more to the fact that when homosexuality was legalised, people were not saying "look at the Ancient Greeks - we'd best legalise this too!"

However low you might assess my English language skills, I will surprise you by the admission that I realised that "link" in your post stood for "connection", but your explanation doesn't fit it either. Let me remind you your initial question again:

Is there anything that has been created by any culture that would be acceptable to the current culture?
    You asked about cultural trends/phenomena that had their origin in previous epochs but stood the test of time and survived till nowdays (or were denounced and forgotten to resurface centuries later). I gave two of such phenomena.

So before starting to mock anyone start keeping in mind what you ask for. Including the fact that you didn't ask about LEGALIZATION of trends but of their ACCEPTANCE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Apex whiteness.
    https://newrepublic.com/article/1583...uns-protesters
    https://twitter.com/xshularx/status/1277398234055483393

Today Chief Justice Roberts sided with liberals in the abortion case (June Medical Services) that we've been watching for a year. He specifically cited the precedent he disagrees with and voted against (Whole Woman's Health v. Hellerstedt, decided 5-3 in 2016 with Kennedy supporting the liberals), saying

I joined the dissent in Whole Woman’s Health and continue to believe that the case was wrongly decided. The question today however is not whether Whole Woman’s Health was right or wrong, but whether to adhere to it in deciding the present case...
    The legal doctrine of stare decisis requires us, absent special circumstances, to treat like cases alike. The Louisiana law imposes a burden on access to abortion just as severe as that imposed by the Texas law, for the same reasons. Therefore Louisiana’s law cannot stand under our precedents... Stare decisis instructs us to treat like cases alike. The result in this case is controlled by our decision four years ago invalidating a nearly identical Texas law. The Louisiana law burdens women seeking previability abortions to the same extent as the Texas law, according to factual findings that are not clearly erroneous. For that reason, I concur in the judgment of the Court that the Louisiana law is unconstitutional.
    Some might point to Justice Kagan's recent votes with the conservatives on some decisions emphasizing the importance of precedent as contributing to Roberts' tack. Also, he must have had a bone to pick with the appeals (Circuit) court judges who preempted his institutional prerogatives by unilaterally overturning his superior court precedent to uphold the Louisiana regulations concerned. Above all however I suspect Roberts just realized that trying to flagrantly body-blow abortion rights in the midst of a combined pandemic, economic crisis, and racial uprising that are profoundly depressing Trump's approval and election polling would be - strategically inadvisable. Evidence for this is that Roberts' concurrence is very narrow and offers a qualified-immunity-sized allowance where he might rule differently if the facts of the case (the regulations under review) weren't so similar to those of the holding precedent.

Adam Serwer puts more stock in the sincerity of Roberts' ideological commitments than I do, but his observation is sound that

The Louisiana abortion case is another example of Roberts rejecting bad faith conservative arguments. He’s just saying you can’t tee up an identical case after losing the previous one just because you won an election and replaced a couple of justices. Law didn’t change.
    Another case with a decision handed down today was Seila Law v. CFPB. Here Roberts sided with Trump in ruling Congressionally-protected executive offices unconstitutional under separation of powers.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/29/supr...-director.html

Before the election the Supreme Court might decide on the ACA (Obamacare) case California v. Texas coming to them, in which the Trump admin endorses full demolition of the legislation. Considering the present results, if Trump's indicators continue to look sunken in 4 months I seriously doubt many GOP operatives would be comfortable with an ACA-repeal October surprise. If the decision is handed down following a Biden victory, Roberts' willingness to screw with an incoming Democratic government might depend on the size of the Dems' Senate caucus.
    https://www.scotusblog.com/case-file...ornia-v-texas/

@STFS
    @ACIN
    Last edited by Montmorency; 06-30-2020 at 05:26.
    Vitiate Man.

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Apex whiteness.
    https://newrepublic.com/article/1583...uns-protesters
    https://twitter.com/xshularx/status/1277398234055483393

Today Chief Justice Roberts sided with liberals in the abortion case (June Medical Services) that we've been watching for a year. He specifically cited the precedent he disagrees with and voted against (Whole Woman's Health v. Hellerstedt, decided 5-3 in 2016 with Kennedy supporting the liberals), saying

Some might point to Justice Kagan's recent votes with the conservatives on some decisions emphasizing the importance of precedent as contributing to Roberts' tack. Also, he must have had a bone to pick with the appeals (Circuit) court judges who preempted his institutional prerogatives by unilaterally overturning his superior court precedent to uphold the Louisiana regulations concerned. Above all however I suspect Roberts just realized that trying to flagrantly body-blow abortion rights in the midst of a combined pandemic, economic crisis, and racial uprising that are profoundly depressing Trump's approval and election polling would be - strategically inadvisable. Evidence for this is that Roberts' concurrence is very narrow and offers a qualified-immunity-sized allowance where he might rule differently if the facts of the case (the regulations under review) weren't so similar to those of the holding precedent.

Adam Serwer puts more stock in the sincerity of Roberts' ideological commitments than I do, but his observation is sound that

Another case with a decision handed down today was Seila Law v. CFPB. Here Roberts sided with Trump in ruling Congressionally-protected executive offices unconstitutional under separation of powers.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/29/supr...-director.html

Before the election the Supreme Court might decide on the ACA (Obamacare) case California v. Texas coming to them, in which the Trump admin endorses full demolition of the legislation. Considering the present results, if Trump's indicators continue to look sunken in 4 months I seriously doubt many GOP operatives would be comfortable with an ACA-repeal October surprise. If the decision is handed down following a Biden victory, Roberts' willingness to screw with an incoming Democratic government might depend on the size of the Dems' Senate caucus.
    https://www.scotusblog.com/case-file...ornia-v-texas/

@STFS
    @ACIN
    America is so depressing. American politics is even more depressing. Twitter on American politics... Shoot me.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    America is so depressing. American politics is even more depressing. Twitter on American politics... Shoot me.
    Just don't laugh at it, you'll trigger it.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I think people read too much into Roberts as some master navigator with his finger always on the pulse of just how far he can go in making conservative decisions.
    The dude has been working in the legal system his whole life and from what I can tell he is just a conservative dude who believes heavily in the legal process and the prestige of the SCOTUS.

If any of these conservative judges were full on shills, they wouldn't have a track record of shifting left: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...hey-get-older/

Roberts is not a political actor, and attempts to divine the output on any of these cases is always buried once the verdict is given and the ex post facto arguments come out. Of course he wouldn't push the abortion law at this moment...
    No matter how well the Democrats do, they won't have the political strength in the Senate to remove him or anyone else from the court. At most Biden will replace Ginsburg and maybe Breyer, the conservatives will stay on until they die or another GOP president is elected, so if Roberts really wanted to kill Roe v Wade there was nothing stopping him from doing so right here and right now.

Like the rest of the conservative movement, Roberts is getting his reputation tarnished with the guilt by association that follows from him simply following his values during a Trump presidency. He is aware of the road he has to navigate in order to maintain the reputation of the institution he has spent is whole life in, but like all people he is flawed with his own biases and is not some stoic sage that can totally separate himself from his outputs.

@strike would have better understanding of whether his written arguments are in good faith or not.
    We want to find the best account of Roberts' judicial behavior. The only accounts we can generate are of course ex post ones, but those are the ones that hopefully offer predictive power in the future.

We know for a fact that Roberts explicitly takes political considerations into his decision-making. Most notably in the ACA case, National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius, Roberts initially wanted to strike down the entire legislation on the basis of the invalidity of the individual mandate, but admitted concerns to his liberal colleagues about the perceived legitimacy of the act. He then negotiated with them, in a bona fide backroom deal, a limited holding that could split the difference. The end result was the preservation of the bulk of the legislation in exchange for the end of the automatic Medicaid expansion - the latter which Roberts initially considered constitutional.

Biskupic reports in detail for the first time on the machinations of the Obamacare case, revealing that Roberts started out in a different place. She writes that he initially voted with the four other conservatives to strike down the ACA, on the grounds that it went beyond Congress’s power to regulate interstate commerce. Likewise, he initially voted to uphold the ACA’s expansion of Medicaid. But Roberts, who kept the opinion for himself to write, soon developed second thoughts.

Biskupic, who interviewed many of the justices for this book, including her subject, writes that Roberts said he felt “torn between his heart and his head.” He harbored strong views on the limitations of congressional power, but hesitated to interject the Court into the ongoing health-insurance crisis. After trying unsuccessfully to find a middle way with Kennedy, who was “unusually firm” and even “put off” by the courtship, Roberts turned to the Court’s two moderate liberals, Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan. The threesome negotiated a compromise decision that upheld the ACA’s individual mandate under Congress’s taxing power, while striking down the Medicaid expansion. Future scholars will endlessly probe this fascinating moment in judicial history, but Biskupic deserves credit for writing the first draft.
    We know that Roberts does not care for precedent or established doctrine that much, as we saw in Shelby County when he decided a provision of law should no longer apply because he felt it was no longer needed. Or the fact that his SCOTUS has been one of the most active in overturning precedent.
    https://www.acslaw.org/issue_brief/b...supreme-court/

Maybe if we looked more closely at the way Roberts decides different kinds of cases we would find some core principles after all? Or better said, core priorities. I'm not versed in the details but what I've gathered is that Roberts is especially given to decisions that limit labor rights, expand corporate rights, limit corporate regulations, and support the structural power (i.e. electoral advantage) of the Republican party. Whereas he may prioritize "social issues" less strongly, or may feel majoritarian pressures on those issues and take them into account.

(There is an idea floating around that the Supreme court orients its agents toward a more majoritarian posture than Congress/presidency actually have, because those are more responsive to factional pressures and polarization within the polity whereas the lifetime sinecures of a handful of magistrates generate... In other words, the argument is that SCOTUS is most sensitive to popular trends and therefore most majoritarian of the three branches in acceding to them as a legitimating measure. I don't understand the theory well enough to relate a strong version of it or say how fitting it sounds to me, but I would note that to the extent the court acts in a relatively majoritarian fashion it literally comes down to the decisions of one or two individuals, and I'm not sure then if that would be an institutionalized pattern or a more ad hoc "great man" thing. If you can find more on the concept do share.)

There have been multiple occasions already - one I recall was last year's census controversy - on which Roberts supported narrow (EDIT: procedural) decisions that rejected Republican arguments on the basis of being too crude and transparent, but explicitly allowed for the possibility of future shifts on the same substantive issues. In other words, 'bring me something less insulting to the intelligence next time.' This is exactly what the Trump admin did, by the way, with its 'third times the charm' travel ban iterations, with the last one being sufficiently transformed to be deemed acceptable by Roberts (and Kennedy in his last act). There is a certain etiquette, if that's the right word, that Roberts values above ones like Thomas or Alito.

Maybe we could put it as Roberts being a partisan, an ideological, and a strategic actor, with the lifetime sinecure of the Supreme Court affording him the opportunity to make independent decisions on the basis of his vision alone of what is right, what is best for country or party, and what befits his office.

BTW, I gave it a place above but some more photos of apex whiteness.

An armed couple came out of their house and pointed guns toward BLM protesters in the Central West End

Last edited by Montmorency; 07-01-2020 at 07:08.
    Vitiate Man.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Is she insane? He, if nothing else, has his finger distinctly off the trigger thus requiring him to make a decision to shoot. In at least one of the stills she has her finger on the trigger where a flippin' sneeze could get someone shot. Also, she is pointing her weapon at the crowd in every still shot, while he -- at least seemingly -- is angled away from the crowd even though at the ready.

Property protection is valid, but a sidewalk is public-right-of-way...

Not the wisest of decisions by this couple, to say the least. Her actions are REALLY too dangerous
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Csargo 

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Her pistol doesn't look like it is loaded judging by the first photo, but still agree with Seamus, it's reckless and dangerous to be pointing a weapon into a crowd of people regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    Her pistol doesn't look like it is loaded judging by the first photo, but still agree with Seamus, it's reckless and dangerous to be pointing a weapon into a crowd of people regardless.
    But that was what kept the crowd of people off the premises, wasn't it?

Except that the protesters werent coming for those two, they were marching to the mayors house. Their lives were not being threatened in a manner that justified pointing guns.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

They just drew attention to themselves, so if anything it had the opposite effect honestly, though that might have been what they were after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

If a crowd of disgruntled people appears in the vicinity of your house you can never know where their anger may be directed.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

If a crowd of disgruntled people appears in the vicinity of your house you can never know where their anger may be directed.
    The law varies from place to place, but I'm pretty sure you can be charged with at least man-slaughter if you shoot and kill someone beyond the threshold of your home. In the pics posted, everyone seems to be on the sidewalk and not in the yard. Those two seem to be fueled by racial issues, IMHO, and just wanted to feel in control of the situation by brandishing weapons that they likely have never fired....
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    The law varies from place to place, but I'm pretty sure you can be charged with at least man-slaughter if you shoot and kill someone beyond the threshold of your home. In the pics posted, everyone seems to be on the sidewalk and not in the yard. Those two seem to be fueled by racial issues, IMHO, and just wanted to feel in control of the situation by brandishing weapons that they likely have never fired....
    Perhaps everyone stayed away from their threshold on the sidewalk because these two brandished their weapons?

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Perhaps everyone stayed away from their threshold on the sidewalk because these two brandished their weapons?
    Peaceful protesters on their way to the mayors house...yeah, cell phones vs guns, that's even worse than bringing a knife to a gun fight

This was more likely the thought process:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbpeJurU...jpg&name=large

High Plains Drifter

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast