Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Former British Colony in Downward Spiral of Ethnic Violence, State Security Impunity

Default Former British Colony in Downward Spiral of Ethnic Violence, State Security Impunity

In recent years, the international community has sounded the alarm on the deteriorating political and human rights situation in the United States under the regime of Donald Trump. Now, as the country marks 100,000 deaths from the coronavirus pandemic, the former British colony finds itself in a downward spiral of ethnic violence. The fatigue and paralysis of the international community are evident in its silence, America experts say.

The country has been rocked by several viral videos depicting extrajudicial executions of black ethnic minorities by state security forces. Uprisings erupted in the northern city of Minneapolis after a video circulated online of the killing of a black man, George Floyd, after being attacked by a security force agent. Trump took to Twitter, calling black protesters “THUGS”’ and threatening to send in military force. “When the looting starts, the shooting starts!” he declared.

“Sure, we get it that black people are angry about decades of abuse and impunity,” said G. Scott Fitz, a Minnesotan and member of the white ethnic majority. “But going after a Target crosses the line. Can’t they find a more peaceful way, like kneeling in silence?”

Ethnic violence has plagued the country for generations, and decades ago it captured the attention of the world, but recently the news coverage and concern are waning as there seems to be no end in sight to the oppression. “These are ancient, inexplicable hatreds fueling these ethnic conflicts and inequality," said Andreja Dulic, a foreign correspondent whose knowledge of American English consists of a semester course in college and the occasional session on the Duolingo app. When told the United States is only several hundred years old, he shrugged and said, “In my country, we have structures still from the Roman empire. In their culture, Americans think that a 150-year-old building is ancient history.”

Britain usually takes an acute interest in the affairs of its former colony, but it has also been affected by the novel coronavirus. “We’ve seen some setbacks with the virus, but some Brits see the rising disease, staggering unemployment and violence in the States and feel as if America was never ready to govern itself properly, that it would resort to tribal politics,” said Andrew Darcy Morthington, a London-based America expert. During the interview, a news alert informed that out of the nearly 40,000 coronavirus deaths in the United Kingdom, 61 percent of the health-care workers who have died were black and or have Middle Eastern backgrounds. Morthington didn’t seem to notice. “Like I was saying, we don’t have those American racism issues here.”

Trump, a former reality-TV host, beauty pageant organizer and businessman, once called African nations “shithole countries." But he is now taking a page from African dictators who spread bogus health remedies, like Yahya Jammeh of Gambia, who claimed he could cure AIDS with bananas and herbal potions and pushed his treatments onto the population, resulting in deaths. Trump appeared to suggest injecting bleach and using sunlight to kill the coronavirus. He has also said he has taken hydroxycholoroquine, a drug derived from quinine, a long-known jungle remedy for malaria. Doctors have advised against using the treatment to prevent or treat the coronavirus.

Meanwhile, Americans desperate to flee will face steep challenges to cross borders, as mismanagement of the coronavirus and ethnic tensions in the country have made them undesirable visitors. But some struggling American retailers, like Neiman Marcus, are hoping to lure shoppers with traditional 19th-century colonial travel fantasies through neutral khakis and cargo shorts as part of a “Modern Safari” collection. “Utilitarian details & muted tones meet classic femininity,” reads a caption under the photograph of a white woman. Pith helmets were not included in the accessory lineup.

Some nations are considering offering black Americans special asylum. “Members of the white ethnic majority are forming armed militia groups, demanding their freedom to go back to work for the wealthy class who refer to workers as ‘human capital stock,’ despite the huge risk to workers,” said Mustapha Okango, a Nairobi-based anthropologist. “This is a throwback to the days when slavery was the backbone of the American economy. Black slaves were the original essential workers, and they were treated as non-human stock.”

Africa could be an ideal asylum destination, as several African countries have managed to contain the coronavirus outbreak through aggressive early measures and innovations in testing kits. Senegal, a nation of 16 million, has only seen 41 deaths. “Everyone predicted Africa would fall into chaos,” Okango said. “It is proof that being a black person in this world doesn’t kill you, but being a black person in America clearly can.” The African Union did not respond to requests for comment, but it released a statement that said “we believe in American solutions for American problems.”

Around the world, grass-roots organizations, celebrities, human rights activists and even students are doing what they can to raise money and awareness about the dire situation in America.

“It’s sad that the Americans don’t have a government that can get them coronavirus tests or even monthly checks to be able to feed their families,” said Charlotte Johnson, a 18-year-old Liberian student activist, who survived the Ebola pandemic. “100,000 people are dead, cities are burning, and the country hasn’t had a day of mourning? Lives don’t matter, especially not black lives. It’s like they’re living in a failing state.”

https://twitter.com/tkerssen/status/1266921821653385225 [WATCH]

America is under a ready-made fucking fascist occupying force. We need comprehensive purges of the existing law enforcement institutions but even should the will to do it manifest, all a half-million suddenly-unemployed LEO would produce is a prompt Iraq-style sectarian meltdown.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/31/2...t-george-floyd
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-violence.html
    https://twitter.com/studentactivism/...27169877483522
    https://twitter.com/chimdesires/stat...98829775990787

(At least here a demonstration of the potential for alternatives to reckless psychopathy and sadism)

Mandated building closures are tyranny, but for the police to attack a person on their own porch is legitimate application of curfew authority. 5 minutes to failed-state-o-clock.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: Former British Colony in Downward Spiral of Ethnic Violence, State Security Impun

I wonder what citizens of former Norman domain, former HRE, former Byzantium, and former Kalmar Union think of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Default Re: Former British Colony in Downward Spiral of Ethnic Violence, State Security Impun

Is this racism?

One of these motherfu***ing white boys didn’t know where he was going and broke my f***ing window in my truck,” he says.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 06-01-2020 at 18:58.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

No, that would be vernacular.

But let's definitely talk about white "allies" taking advantage of the situation to entertain their purge fantasies. I'm sure some are white nationalists trying to disrupt the protests but I think an uncomfortably large portion of the destruction of property has been perpetrated by white people who just want to destroy stuff. Id also wager a good deal of them are anarchists or cops who want to discredit the protests. A handful of videos of what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 06-01-2020 at 22:49.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Is this racism?

One of these motherfu***ing white boys didn’t know where he was going and broke my f***ing window in my truck,” he says.
    In light of everything that's been going on, who gives a shit? Of course some black people are going to hate white people, after everything they've been through why wouldn't they?

My take on the protests:

Government officials could've nipped all this chaos in the bud if they would've arrested all of the officers involved in George Floyd's murder, thrown the book at them, and conceded to the demands of Black Lives Matter and the black community, but they didn't because they are either opposed to ending police brutality and racist policing, they don't want to look weak in the face of public pressure, or they would face too much push back from the police and police unions.

So instead of addressing the needs of the black community, city and state governments have decided to suppress the protests using brute, militarized force, which has been the standard way of dealing with protests for the past decade, and they are raising the specter of "outside agitators", "white anarchists", and antifa in order to justify their crackdown and distract the public from the fact that they have no intention of doing anything to solve the problem of racist policing and police brutality.
    Last edited by Tuuvi; 06-01-2020 at 23:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuvi View Post
    My take on the protests:

Government officials could've nipped all this chaos in the bud if they would've arrested all of the officers involved in George Floyd's murder, thrown the book at them, and conceded to the demands of Black Lives Matter and the black community, but they didn't because they are either opposed to ending police brutality and racist policing, they don't want to look weak in the face of public pressure, or they would face too much push back from the police and police unions.
    I agree. If my memory serves, the protests started in earnest when the local prosecutor declined to bring charges against the cops involved, saying that he wouldnt rush to charge which justifiably set people off. And honestly only charging one of the four cops involved is not good, all four need to be brought up on charges.

But I think one of the biggest things that can be done in terms of reforming the police is to disband the police unions. While I am usually pro-union, they seem to be on the forefront of advocating for regressive policies from within and without.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 06-01-2020 at 23:17.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

The powers that be pulled back the police the first day as anger boiled over so thieves anarchists and revolution-larpers took the opportunity to pillage without repecussion.

The injustice forgotten and the needed lesson obscured in the face of smoke, blood and tear gas.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-01-2020 at 23:26.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    No, that would be vernacular.

But let's definitely talk about white "allies" taking advantage of the situation to entertain their purge fantasies. I'm sure some are white nationalists trying to disrupt the protests but I think an uncomfortably large portion of the destruction of property has been perpetrated by white people who just want to destroy stuff. Id also wager a good deal of them are anarchists or cops who want to discredit the protests. A handful of videos of what I'm talking about.
    There are anarchists who believe in rioting and property destruction as a protest tactic, but given that anarchists are anti-racist and anti-police any rioting done by them was in support of the protest, no anarchist worth their salt would want to intentionally discredit a popular uprising.

Either way, like I said above all this talk about who was rioting and for what reason is just a distraction from the real issue at hand, which is that the government has responded to a protest against police brutality with even more police brutality, and the government's actions over these past few days has really dark implications for the future of our constitutional and civil rights. It's entirely possible that we'll be living under martial law in the next few days or so, if things don't subside.
    Last edited by Tuuvi; 06-01-2020 at 23:27.

There are anarchists who believe in rioting and property destruction as a protest tactic, but given that anarchists are anti-racist and anti-police any rioting done by them was in support of the protest, no anarchist worth their salt would want to intentionally discredit a popular uprising.
    But what tactics are they using to support the protests? I think its safe to say that smashing things is a common protest tactic of anarchists, which of course ends up taking away focus from the protests. Anyways I agree that its a distraction from the real issue at hand. Things are definitely getting crazy though, and DC is now under curfew from 7pm for the next two nights. I live fairly close to the White House so the sounds of sirens and helicopters has been pretty much constant.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

Not entirely sure how looting and burning black owned/employing businesses were supposed to support the protests.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-02-2020 at 02:37.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

In light of Trump trying to blame the uprising on anarchists/antifa and get the military involved, I think you all should read about the Jakarta Method, which was the mass slaughter of Indonesian leftists that was backed and supported by the CIA. If the US can self-justify mass murder of civilians abroad I think they can do it domestically too if the crisis gets bad enough or if they can convince themselves that leftists are enough of a threat.

Maybe I'm just letting the anxiety of it all get to me but I think that things could get really ugly, and even if it doesn't come to that I think we are witnessing the end of liberal democracy as we know it.

Blog Entries

You are letting the anxiety of it all get to you.

Ok. We'll see what happens.

For anyone who might be curious how the Instagram influencers are handling this: Exhibit A and B.

Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

The city is fallen.

The president apparently personally directed a peaceful concentration to be broken up because he wanted to feel tough.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-photo-op.html

What is it with police and shooting people in the face with rubber bullets and tear gas canisters? It's like around the country they've made eye-plucking doctrine, as they seem to have with attacking or arresting reporters on sight. (Graphic imagery!)
    https://twitter.com/chadloder/status...29301389492224
    CW: lots of blood.
    Sacramento: A young boy is shot in the eye by police during a peaceful #BlackLivesMatter protest tonight at the State Capitol.
    https://twitter.com/notbalin/status/1266972999296704513
    To anybody curious. My eye ruptured when a FWPD Officer unnecessarily and improperly fired a tear gas canister at my head hitting my eye. I’ll be fine but I’m probably losing my eye after surgery tomorrow.
    https://twitter.com/SaudiaSakari/sta...34500087062528
    UPDATE: My aunt is stable, she was shot with a rubber bullet by a snipper on top of a building between her eyes. We cant speak to or visit her because of Covid-19, they are currently trying to save her eye, but she might lose it. I don’t even know what to say.
    https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/st...81344649932806
    Grand Rapids, MI: man yells at police from a distance, a police officer walks up and pepper sprays him...

...then another officer shoots him directly in the face with a teargas canister
    https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/st...28084393283584
    Dallas, TX: police shoot out the eye of an unarmed black man for sport

This is at least the *4th* person whose eye has been shot out by police in the past 3 days

I've seen and heard of all sorts of authoritarian tactics and brutality from American police towards protesters before, but this level of brazen, concerted, persistent, aggression and performative cruelty only, *cough*, elsewhere. I've watched dozens of these clips today, which is probably not healthy.

I wonder what citizens of former Norman domain, former HRE, former Byzantium, and former Kalmar Union think of it.
    I don't understand.

While I am usually pro-union, they seem to be on the forefront of advocating for regressive policies from within and without.
    Good points on the subject from a labor historian. Basically, police are workers and retain the right to bargain for labor standards. But police oversight, as a matter of state regulation, should be entirely out of their ambit.

First, there is no evidence that police without unions are somehow less horrifying or violent than those with unions.

Second, all workers deserve collective bargaining rights.

Third, the labor movement is not about justice. It’s about two sides with sometimes divergent interests sitting down and bargaining.

Fourth, it is in the public’s interest to force the police unions to give up the blank check for violence that they currently have. That should be an absolute demand of any city negotiating with the police unions.

Fifth, the labor movement has no obligation to stand with unions that are awful. It is rare that the AFL-CIO kicks out unions–pretty much just the communist unions after Taft-Hartley and the Teamsters for corruption, though lots of unions have chosen to disaffiliate with the federation. There is no reason why the federation should not evict the police unions. The police unions are antithetical to the entire concept of solidarity.

Sixth, such a move would be more symbolic than anything else. It’s not as if the AFL-CIO provides invaluable resources for unions to survive.

Seventh, do not underestimate the potential support for police unions from the more conservative unions in the federation, particularly some of the building trades. Evicting the police unions would not be uncontested. Some unions absolutely support this. Others would be quite reticent.

Eighth, eliminating police unions may sound like a panacea for these problems of racism and violence and fascism, but it’s really not.

In conclusion, we can crack down on the police unions without eliminating them entirely. It is absolutely in the public interest that we do this. All of the behavior of the police is completely unacceptable. But it’s unlikely that unionbusting actually solves any of these problems.

Either way, like I said above all this talk about who was rioting and for what reason is just a distraction from the real issue at hand, which is that the government has responded to a protest against police brutality with even more police brutality, and the government's actions over these past few days has really dark implications for the future of our constitutional and civil rights. It's entirely possible that we'll be living under martial law in the next few days or so, if things don't subside.
    It's a tactic I would attribute to black bloc specifically.

I have no idea what the exact distribution of destruction and vandalism is between white or non-white, local or visitor, far-left and far-right, police-instigated or endogenous, but there are clearly different categories and contexts of behavior. I have no problem with throwing bottles at cop cars, but smashing synagogues and POC-owned businesses and spreading neighborhood-hazardous arsonism are bad and shouldn't happen. If nonresidents are perpetrating the latter even over the wishes and protests of local demonstrators, that's a real problem of "chaos tourism." Kind of awkward if there's white cosplayers vandalizing in the night and black residents cleaning up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    You are letting the anxiety of it all get to you.
    The President days ago retweeted a speaker declaring that "the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat." Senator Tom Cotton was just today demanding war crimes against protesters. Also having recently introduced the SECURE CAMPUS Act in the Senate that would prohibit Chinese nationals from receiving student visas for STEM graduate studies.
    https://www.cotton.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1371
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Exclusion_Act

"Student visas should be only for those who want to contribute to our research institutions and advance our national interests."

So we need to import young communists and anarchists who will militate for the eradication of the Republican party. It's 2020, where's our era's Sacco and Vanzetti anyway?

The existential confrontation with the fascist front is, it goes without saying, anxiety-inducing.
    Vitiate Man.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just to be clear - by landmass more of this turd is French and Spanish land, not that of a British colony.

What is the surprise? The USA has been doing this for hundreds of years. Only the methods have changed.

The only hope of systemic change is if people vote. And it will probably require a new single issue party to get block votes - probably starting at a local level - to effect change. Would whites really vote for such extreme change that would materially effect themselves? Frankly I doubt it.

The USA continues to have guns even after a lot of white middle class children were killed. Poor black petty criminals? Not much hope

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

In light of Trump trying to blame the uprising on anarchists/antifa and get the military involved, I think you all should read about the Jakarta Method, which was the mass slaughter of Indonesian leftists that was backed and supported by the CIA. If the US can self-justify mass murder of civilians abroad I think they can do it domestically too if the crisis gets bad enough or if they can convince themselves that leftists are enough of a threat.

Maybe I'm just letting the anxiety of it all get to me but I think that things could get really ugly, and even if it doesn't come to that I think we are witnessing the end of liberal democracy as we know it.
    End of Liberal Democracy??!? LOL - a fairy story.

There was the Cold War, then the War on Drugs, then the War on Terror. All required mass surveillance, police oversight, incarceration and increasingly draconian laws. Secret Terror courts. In the name of Freedom. Oh, and Victory!

The police are using assault rifles they've been given for decades. Using tactics that the Brownshirts would recognise. SWATing is a verb.Your police force in New York has a budget that is greater than the military of nations.

About 100 years ago your sentiment would be timely - then only non-whites were victimised. And the poor of course. Perhaps a Liberal Oligarchy at that point? Now more of an Illiberal Oligarchy.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    I don't understand.
    In your post, America was referred to as a former British colony. I thought it was weird to thus refer to a country that has been independent for the last 350 years, so I referred to many present day countries in the same way: Britain as the former Norman domain, Germany as the former HRE, Greece as the former Byzantium, as Sweden and Norway as the former Kalmar Union.

Blog Entries

In your post, America was referred to as a former British colony. I thought it was weird to thus refer to a country that has been independent for the last 350 years, so I referred to many present day countries in the same way: Britain as the former Norman domain, Germany as the former HRE, Greece as the former Byzantium, as Sweden and Norway as the former Kalmar Union.
    I think it was supposed to draw parallels with Hong Kong - another territory which is oh-so much better off with its freedom.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

What is the surprise? The USA has been doing this for hundreds of years. Only the methods have changed.
    Not really:

https://www.hcn.org/issues/52.4/indi...b-universities

Consider the Dakota cession of 1851. Four Dakota bands signed treaties at Mendota and Traverse des Sioux, Minnesota, in the summer of 1851, relinquishing nearly all Dakota territory in Mni Sota Makoce, “The Land Where the Waters Reflect the Clouds.” They did so in response to the withholding of rations, the threat of violence, enforced starvation, the killing of game and the destruction of agriculture. Call it coercion. In the following years, Congress unilaterally altered the agreements and delayed annuity payments. Faced with crop failures and widespread graft by white traders, a Dakota faction fought back in 1862. In response, Gov. Alexander Ramsey called for the extermination or exile of the Dakotas and deployed U.S. Army and militia units to end the so-called “Dakota War.” Congress would go on to abrogate Dakota treaties and expel the bands from the state, but before it did, Lincoln authorized the largest mass execution in U.S. history: In December 1862, the U.S. Army hanged 38 Dakota men for their participation in the insurrection.
    Not so much different than what's happening today, nearly 160 years later.
    High Plains Drifter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    The existential confrontation with the fascist front is, it goes without saying, anxiety-inducing.
    *sigh* Insert dismissive and obscene yet tasteful gesture here.

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    The USA continues to have guns even after a lot of white middle class children were killed. Poor black petty criminals? Not much hope

The only alternative to guns is a quick and effective police force that can be trusted to protect life and property... do I need to illustrate the problem here?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-02-2020 at 18:42.

The only alternative to guns is a quick and effective police force that can be trusted to protect life and property... do I need to illustrate the problem here?
    Obviously, you have to be blind and/or tone deaf

Do you even understand what the term "Black Lives Matter" means? If George Floyd had been a white banker, the scenario in Minneapolis doesn't happen. If Timothy Thomas was a white college kid, he'd still be alive today. Or Michael Brown or Trayvon Martin.....etc, etc, etc. And does an effective police force mean tear gas and rubber bullets?

I don't see that you are able to 'illustrate the problem' without understanding the depth and length that racism has in this country...an understanding you seem to lack

But how about you start with some simple numbers:

https://www.statista.com/chart/21872...ack-americans/
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 06-02-2020 at 19:15.
    High Plains Drifter

The powers that be pulled back the police the first day as anger boiled over so thieves anarchists and revolution-larpers took the opportunity to pillage without repecussion.

The injustice forgotten and the needed lesson obscured in the face of smoke, blood and tear gas.
    The situation could have been defused if Trump had simply addressed the nation early on, had the DOJ take over from local officials in prosecuting the officer and, you know, actually had the man arrested promptly along with the negligent officers.
    The fact that you seem to believe this only had been defused with decisive force just goes to show how much you dehumanize others which is not surprising cause you are alt right.

Not entirely sure how looting and burning black owned/employing businesses were supposed to support the protests.
    Not sure how police abuse is supposed to support the claim that property > lives.

My question to you. In that 16 min video point out which episodes where justified with time stamps.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 06-02-2020 at 20:40.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Obviously, you have to be blind and/or tone deaf

Do you even understand what the term "Black Lives Matter" means? If George Floyd had been a white banker, the scenario in Minneapolis doesn't happen. If Timothy Thomas was a white college kid, he'd still be alive today. Or Michael Brown or Trayvon Martin.....etc, etc, etc. And does an effective police force mean tear gas and rubber bullets?

I don't see that you are able to 'illustrate the problem' without understanding the depth and length that racism has in this country...an understanding you seem to lack

The one lacking understanding is you, for you have misinterpreted my argument and only served to reinforce my point: If you cant trust the police to protect you where can you turn?

Take away guns and you place sole responsability towards the protection of the populace upon the police, I didnt think you needed explaining why that isnt always a good solution: George Floyd should be an expert lesson!
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-02-2020 at 20:42.

Member thankful for this post:

Stazi 

The one lacking understanding is you, for you have misinterpreted my argument
    Misinterpreted? Not likely. It's the same rhetoric being spouted by our Fearless Leader. The Iron Fist approach.....

George Floyd should be an expert lesson!
    And this just makes my point about your lack of understanding of how racism in this country works. Yes, it's an expert lesson on how NOT to do things. There is no police training manual anywhere in the US that states you kneel on the neck of a handcuffed suspect that is clearly in distress for 8 or 9 minutes until he dies.....right there on the pavement! It's called murder, my friend And the biggest point of all that you are missing completely is that if George Floyd was white, none of that would have happened.

You want to see a better way to handle protesters?

https://www.today.com/news/michigan-...esters-t182809

Swanson's choice to put down his weapons and riot gear also came in the moment. "It was probably the worst tactical decision I could make by taking off all of my protection and going into the crowd, but the benefit far outweighed the risk,'' he said. "I'm not trying to be a macho or a hero, I just tell you that that was the best decision to show that I am not going to create a divide, I'm going to show vulnerability and walk in the crowd and make the first move."
    @ACIN

had the DOJ take over from local officials in prosecuting the officer and, you know, actually had the man arrested promptly along with the negligent officers.
    And therein is one of root causes for police brutality....an officer like Derek Chauvin could maintain excessive physical restraint on a suspect for the duration he did because he didn't fear any repercussions, as happens all too often when the suspect is black.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 06-02-2020 at 23:01.
    High Plains Drifter

My browser crashed.

Sorry Rory, but I will say the thread title is pulled from the parody I quoted in the OP. The concept of 'How would American media report these events if they were happening in a different country?'

Sorry Greyblades, but the only good Greyblades is a dead Greyblades.

Sorry Samurai, I had a lot to say. But check this out.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ce-union-chief
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...years-n1220416
    And Camden NJ stuff.

I had videos of police attacking foreign correspondents from Australia and Germany (Deutsche Welle), and that this seemed worse somehow than when they attack American reporters. Won't reproduce the commentary.

Boston last Sunday.

DC last Sunday.

8 PM curfew in Manhattan today, following yesterday night's Midtown looting.
    Vitiate Man.

A lack of publicly available use-of-force data from other departments makes it difficult to compare Minneapolis to other cities of the same or any size.
    And this is one of the problems for accountability, along with non-transparency of a particular officers active duty record. This is why officers like Chauvin don't have much fear of repercussions when they employ excessive force.

And then this:

More than a dozen police officials and law enforcement experts told NBC News that the particular tactic Chauvin used — kneeling on a suspect's neck — is neither taught nor sanctioned by any police agency. A Minneapolis city official told NBC News Chauvin's tactic is not permitted by the Minneapolis police department. For most major police departments, variations of neck restraints, known as chokeholds, are highly restricted — if not banned outright.
    @Blades

And if you didn't take the two minutes to look at the Statista link I provided, take a gander at this:

The Minnesota police data showed three-fifths of those subjected to neck restraints and then rendered unconscious were black. About 30 percent were white. Two were Native Americans. Almost all are male, and three-quarters were age 40 or under.
    And straight from the Minneapolis Police Dept. manual:

The on-line version of the policy manual says, "The unconscious neck restraint shall only be applied … 1. On a subject who is exhibiting active aggression, or; 2. For life saving purposes, or; 3. On a subject who is exhibiting active resistance in order to gain control of the subject; and if lesser attempts at control have been or would likely be ineffective."
    None of those points applied to George Floyd.
    High Plains Drifter

Huge thread on Twitter of 150+ videos of cops brutalizing peaceful protesters. Every single one of these videos is extremely disturbing.

Also a video of cops casually smashing car windows as they pass by.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Huge thread on Twitter of 150+ videos of cops brutalizing peaceful protesters. Every single one of these videos is extremely disturbing.

Also a video of cops casually smashing car windows as they pass by.
    Oh yeah, one sentiment I had wanted to state.

An example. Cops who, in violation of all sound practice, legal right, and human decency, choose to fire rubber bullets and gas canisters in the faces of distant protesters - typically with intent to harm - should, where not prevented from ever having advanced to that stage in the profession in the first place by the arrangement of the system, be promptly terminated and banned on a national level from any future position of authority, along with their supervisors and superiors who nurture, direct, protect, and enable them at every step. Coordinate to which must be resolute application of criminal proceedings against each individual and case, because the state must directly and formally account for the great transgression against the social contract and civic integrity that is the lawless, the corrupt, the abusive, the predatory conduct of its authorized agents and offices.

As individuals and institutions, the large majority of police today should not be endowed with authority and weapons. They are an active danger and detriment to our society. We have to understand this as one of the root truths of the situation to proceed. I don't say this in an All Lives Matter sense, but white middle-class "moderates" need to understand that these thug cops and their countless ancillaries would and could happily and easily do the same shit to them and their families if given half a chance. Unless you think you're poised to lord it over the rest as an aristocrat, all of us have a stake in leashing these dangerous servants and transforming the work they do. Take it as a Niebuhrian Niemollerian lesson.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 06-03-2020 at 06:28.
    Vitiate Man.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Misinterpreted? Not likely. It's the same rhetoric being spouted by our Fearless Leader. The Iron Fist approach.....

And this just makes my point about your lack of understanding of how racism in this country works. Yes, it's an expert lesson on how NOT to do things. There is no police training manual anywhere in the US that states you kneel on the neck of a handcuffed suspect that is clearly in distress for 8 or 9 minutes until he dies.....right there on the pavement! It's called murder, my friend And the biggest point of all that you are missing completely is that if George Floyd was white, none of that would have happened.

You want to see a better way to handle protesters?

https://www.today.com/news/michigan-...esters-t182809

@ACIN

And therein is one of root causes for police brutality....an officer like Derek Chauvin could maintain excessive physical restraint on a suspect for the duration he did because he didn't fear any repercussions, as happens all too often when the suspect is black.
    Have you read Night Watch?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast