Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Former British Colony in Downward Spiral of Ethnic Violence, State Security Impunity

Default Re: Trump Thread

KCPD Said Missing Black Women Reports In KC Were “Completely Unfounded.” Less Than A Month Later, One Escaped After Being Kidnapped From Prospect & Tortured in a Basement For Over A Month

The bombshell revelations and horrifically tragic events explicitly disprove KCPD’s earlier statement that there are no missing Black women from this area and that the potential of a KC serial killer is “completely unfounded.” The woman also told investigators her friends “didn’t make it out” and had been murdered by the man.
    Oh COME ON. But it's not really surprising; police have notoriously - and I mean notoriously - always ignored reports of serial killings, since serial killers usually don't target (straight) White men.

Mostly unrelated, some details from Senator Pat Leahy's memoir:

THREAD: In @SenatorLeahy's new memoir, there's a wild story in it that I haven't ever seen before—a rare glimpse into the shadowy way that the intel agencies interact with Members of Congress. It feels ripped from a political thriller movie...: https://phoenixbooks.biz/book/9781982157357

1) In the midst of the Iraq War debate, Leahy was one of the few Senators pushing back against the Bush admin race to war and the threats of WMDs. He'd been reading the classified intel that the Bush admin was providing to Congress and had real doubts that it justified war....

2) The Sunday after he read the intel, he was out walking with his wife in his McLean neighborhood when "two fit joggers trailed behind us. They stopped and asked what I thought of the intelligence briefings I'd been getting."...

3) The joggers asked Leahy if the briefers had showed him "File Eight"? Leahy writes, "It was obvious from the look on my face that I had not seen such a file. They suggested I should and that I might find it interesting."....

4) Leahy went back to the intel officers at the Capitol SCIF and requested "File Eight," and it contradicted what the Bush administration was saying publicly about the WMDs....

5) A few days later, Leahy and his wife are out walking in the neighborhood again and the same two joggers pass by, stop, and say, basically, “We heard you read Five Eight. Isn’t it interesting? Now you should ask for File Twelve” ….

6) [[Leahy explained to me when I asked him about this incident this month that "File Eight" and "File Twelve" are pseudonyms for specific secret codeword names the joggers told him to ask for.]] ....

7) The next day, Leahy again goes to the Capitol SCIF and asks for "File Twelve." It again contradicts what VP Cheney was saying publicly. Leahy decides to vote against the war based on these secret reports and tips...

8) I asked @senatorleahy about this incident when I interviewed him at @bearpondbooks
    earlier this month, if he knew the joggers ever, and he said, "You don't understand—I didn't *want* to know who they were." …

9) tl;dr: Leahy ends up voting against the war because some corner of the intel world tracked when he was out exercising, intercepted him, and pointed him to secret intelligence reports.

I still can't imagine being as comprehensively and catastrophically wrong about something as supporting the Iraq War. A lot of these same people were the ones telling us that the Taliban would take it nice and easy with the ANA, so their having gone unpunished, un-ostracized, is really a national security hazard.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Supreme Court hears arguments on college affirmative action cases
    https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...nts/index.html

Conservative Supreme Court justices were hostile on Monday to the ongoing use of race-based affirmative action in college admissions.

The court took nearly five hours to debate affirmative action policies at the University of North Carolina and Harvard.

Based on Monday?s oral arguments, the six conservative justices appear ready to end the use of affirmative action in admissions, overturning a precedent from 1978.
    Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson warned that if colleges are prohibited from making any consideration of race, it risks violating the Constitution?s equal protection protections for students who will not be able to present that background in their applications.

?I hear a process in which there's a form that says tell us about yourself and people can put all sorts of things. I'm Catholic, I'm from, you know, Los Angeles, I'm Latina, whatever,? she said. ?But now we're ? we're entertaining a rule in which some people can say the things they want, about who they are and have that valued in the system. But other people are not going to be able to. Because they won't be able to reveal that they're Latino or African American or whatever. And I'm worried that that creates an inequity in the system.?
    Live Updates: Supreme Court Hears Affirmative Action Cases From Harvard and U.N.C.
    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/10...-supreme-court

In San Francisco, Asian Americans ? especially Chinese Americans ? mobilized in large numbers this year to oust three members of the city?s school board. One driving reason for their high turnout was the board?s vote to put in place a lottery system at the highly competitive Lowell High School, replacing an admissions process that primarily selected students with the highest grades and test scores. That change in effect cut the number of Asian and white ninth graders at Lowell by around one-quarter and increased Black and Latino ninth graders by more than 40 percent, inciting backlash from many Asian parents.
    Posting in here as I imagine we'll have the usual rioting and looting that happens if this gets overturned. I'm actually okay with the policy going away as it isn't really necessary anymore unless someone can stake out some clear guidelines for what conditions net to be met for its repeal. If state or federally sponsored schools deny students because of race, well, they should be sued.
    If someone wants to found their own private university that only allows race 'x', gender 'x', religion 'x', and sexual orientation 'x' that's fine with me so long as they get ZERO federal or state level funding, research grants, ROTC programs etc...

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Without affirmative action of the sort this case considers, universities would be 2/3 women. I would call that suboptimal.

I'm not aware of any usual rioting and looting in response to court actions in the states.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 11-03-2022 at 22:32.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112