Thread: Back in the saddle again

Default Back in the saddle again

Just booted my old MTW disc up, though my old Acer (running on Vista, no less) had to go with half size units (seems to crash otherwise).
    Works fine, have an English normal campaign running. Forget the year I left off, maybe it is 1276 or so.

It's a GA campaign, and for a while I was following doing a few crusades and grabbing my territories mandated. The French got squashed early, and the Germans seemed to dislike me and kept attacking me. The HRE later disappeared and I was trying to mind my own business and tech up and keep trading. But slowly after, two excommunications for attacking the aforementioned HRE, I banked for a while hitting 400 K florins. Then, as if on cue starting some time in 1240s or so, first the Novgorad attacked me. Then later the Italians and then the Sicilians. Finally the Almohads attacked, and I launched attacks and a crusade with the route running through their territories. I took Castille and Leon from them, and surprisingly I still hold some provinces where I have no armies (conducted scorched earth policies in those places that the Italians held and the Novgorad. The Sicilians seemed to take back what they could and currently are protected by the Pope again.

A huge chunk of the map belongs to me, so it might turn into a domination game, though I usually only play to 60% as playing for 100% is frustrating at times with instant rebellions spring ing up here and there. See what happens after I beat back the Almos, who are closest in points (if not leading).

Anyone still Steam free on this game? I am on Steam for a number of other titles (Thief, Hitman, Civilization), but I found some don't run on my new MacAir (all games eventually come the the Mac, eventually, right :)). I never bought any of the other Total War titles except Shogun, so no experience with them.

Formerly Gaijinalways

Default Re: Back in the saddle again

Greetings Kasmersensei.
    Glad to have another fan logging on here.
    Sense I'm in a rural location, I'm unable to use "Steam".
    M2TW will not run on my Win7 o.s.,so I assumed that MW wouldn't either.
    In any case I have MTW Viking Invasion installed on an ancient AMD machine.
    Played a couple of tutorials but its a pain transferring cables back and forth to my daily runner.
    Presently have some parts on order to build a proper old timey gaming machine with WinXP.
    See my post under MTW2.
    Wonder how a 128gig vid card will run a 24" monitor?
    Best of luck with your campaign(s).
    Scratch...
    Last edited by Scratch; 06-01-2020 at 13:36.

Thanks Scratch, it’s going well, nearly at 60%. Debating whether to drag it out a bit and give my handgun nets a turn or not.

It’s a shame, not sure how many of the old posters still lurk here. I grab and play MTW once a year usually depending on my schedule and demands of my partner. Fun strategy game, shame the ‘better’ version never made it to Steam.

Caravel, Drone, Martok, golum... any of you old timers still around?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Still here! Welcome back, and if you want your old account reactivated, send a PM to @therother and he will get you sorted out.

Regarding Steam, I bit the bullet a couple of years ago and re-purchased STW and MTW during a sale (summer, iirc, I think I paid $3 total for both). Works great on my Win8 laptop, and running mods is pretty painless. I have heard rumors that you can use your CD key to get the Steam version activated in your library, not sure if it's true, but I have my doubts with it running on a Mac.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Still here! Welcome back, and if you want your old account reactivated, send a PM to @therother and he will get you sorted out.

Regarding Steam, I bit the bullet a couple of years ago and re-purchased STW and MTW during a sale (summer, iirc, I think I paid $3 total for both). Works great on my Win8 laptop, and running mods is pretty painless. I have heard rumors that you can use your CD key to get the Steam version activated in your library, not sure if it's true, but I have my doubts with it running on a Mac.
    Glad to hear some of the old crowd is still around.

I will keep that in mind. I think I tried another time to get my old posting name back, but was unsuccessful.

Just a point, but isn’t that MTW 2 you purchased?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kasmersensei View Post
    Just a point, but isn’t that MTW 2 you purchased?
    Nope, the original. Currently 9.99 USD under the name "Medieval: Total War - Collection", but you should be able to get it for ~$2 when the summer sale kicks in.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Some of us old dudes are still here, rocking MTW.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Nope, the original. Currently 9.99 USD under the name "Medieval: Total War - Collection", but you should be able to get it for ~$2 when the summer sale kicks in.
    I will have to try as we have a newer Toshiba running upstairs. Want to buy a newer computer, for some reason that money was earmarked for a new cat.

Bummer, currently not available in my region.

Well, had a quick run up to my 60 %. Was enjoyable taking the Eggies down after they attacked my superior navy.

Was wondering though, what's the best way to fight in the desert as had some tough battles with heat exhaustion kicking in. Defending was okay, attacking was tough with the defenders sometimes hitting me from more than one side if I wasn't careful when I was speeding through some battles.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Who are you playing as? Usually heavy knights do not fare well in desert conditions, I often supplement my core armies with mercenaries who can handle the local terrain.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I was using my regular troops, didn’t feel the need for mercs because of the numbers I was running. On defense I did fine, some 2400+ killed vs less than 400 dead on my side. I did have one crusade battle where I mistakenly brought a lesser general. The numbers were about the same but I was attacking in Cyrenaica. I finally won just by chance as the Eggies routed just before the timer was going to run out. List some 1600 vs about 1450 for the AI. Quite the battle with a final duel and I mistakenly sent some smaller units off near the end not realizing I had run out of reinforcements. I did notice the fatigue factor was in play as I had the AI backed against the far side and my men, though entering from not that far away (not the whole map, like a closer corner) were tired just walking to join the other troops. Kind of like I felt today (over 30 degrees C in Tokyo today).

I reviewed several of the desert fighting threads today, so will have better ideas what to bring, and what to leave home. Already started a Danish campaign, though I imagine that will be a slower one.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kasmersensei View Post
    Was wondering though, what's the best way to fight in the desert as had some tough battles with heat exhaustion kicking in. Defending was okay, attacking was tough with the defenders sometimes hitting me from more than one side if I wasn't careful when I was speeding through some battles.
    All depends on your faction and where you have conquered already, as some of your 'subject' nations can provide good desert troops: highland clansmen, Spanish jinettes and turcopoles are all useful and I like to bring them in if I have the right provinces. But my usual desert corps tends to be based around good old basic troops: archers and spearmen, ideally with weapon, valour and morale upgrades. A good general is essential, with morale-boosting virtues a real help. Cavalry needs to be light - I'd go for mounted sergeants rather than knights, of course, and even hobilars can be useful with some upgrades. If I'm playing as England, then I might go with fyrd for my spear component, sometimes feudal sergeants, but nothing heavy.

Oh, if you can get hold of some, Swiss halberdiers are good camel butchers And don't forget bribery... it never hurts to have one stack of the enemy turned by a bag of gold.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    All depends on your faction and where you have conquered already, as some of your 'subject' nations can provide good desert troops: highland clansmen, Spanish jinettes and turcopoles are all useful and I like to bring them in if I have the right provinces.
    + gallowglasses
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Member thankful for this post: