Thread: How small do you like to stay?

Default How small do you like to stay?

I started a Danish campaign in early on hard. It was interesting in that for a number of years I only held Denmark and Sweden. I tried to take Norway, but failed in a battle (repeated past) and also tried a bribe, but at the time I was short and a few years later tried again and the price had ballooned up 10x!

Portugal was also a happy bribing ground, though took 4-5x to finally snag it. I also took Sardinia and Corsica with bribes before attacks by the Sicilians ‘forced me to remove many of their ship building provinces.

The English later followed disliking my navy (though mine was smaller). Earlier the Novoguards kept attacking many after multiple attacks I took Novgorad and Livonia, my first territories taken from another faction besides rebels.

I forget how long I was only 2 provinces, maybe a good 30-50 years.

Anybody else gone this route?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: How small do you like to stay?

My usual Danish strategy is to start slow-ish. First target is Sweden, preferably forcing a battle by attacking small so the rebels don't flee Norway. Then I tend to turtle up while building up to ships in Denmark and armoury/metalsmiths in Sweden. I will take Norway eventually, but it's a bit of a drain until you get a trade network set up so I wait a while. Saxony is an option if the HRE is in disarray (and when is it ever not in disarray!), since it works as a chokepoint just like Denmark and can help your income. After that, I just crank out ships, tech up, and enjoy the trade cash for a while.

I've found that you can't really stay small for too long though, as your influence won't grow, your heirs get fat and lazy, and your generals start grumbling. The Danes also tend to fill up with heirs, the maintenance costs of those bodyguard units can take a huge cut from your profits. I usually target the British Isles next, but that can change depending on the cost to trade via alliances. If the English are too valuable, Ireland is usually still rebels, it's costly to garrison but can cut ship maintenance costs to offset that and gallowglasses are entertaining. The Iberian peninsula can also be a target to offset ship maintenance costs of the Med trade.

Once the treasury fills up, I generally lose self-control, start taking advantage of weak spots and wars, and somehow end up with most of Western/Central Europe with only the Baltic and Med trade left. And excommunicated. And actively searching for provinces with Chapter Houses to raze when they drop a cross on you. What can I say, the Danes are fun.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    My usual Danish strategy is to start slow-ish. First target is Sweden, preferably forcing a battle by attacking small so the rebels don't flee Norway. Then I tend to turtle up while building up to ships in Denmark and armoury/metalsmiths in Sweden. I will take Norway eventually, but it's a bit of a drain until you get a trade network set up so I wait a while. Saxony is an option if the HRE is in disarray (and when is it ever not in disarray!), since it works as a chokepoint just like Denmark and can help your income. After that, I just crank out ships, tech up, and enjoy the trade cash for a while.

I've found that you can't really stay small for too long though, as your influence won't grow, your heirs get fat and lazy, and your generals start grumbling. The Danes also tend to fill up with heirs, the maintenance costs of those bodyguard units can take a huge cut from your profits. I usually target the British Isles next, but that can change depending on the cost to trade via alliances. If the English are too valuable, Ireland is usually still rebels, it's costly to garrison but can cut ship maintenance costs to offset that and gallowglasses are entertaining. The Iberian peninsula can also be a target to offset ship maintenance costs of the Med trade.

Once the treasury fills up, I generally lose self-control, start taking advantage of weak spots and wars, and somehow end up with most of Western/Central Europe with only the Baltic and Med trade left. And excommunicated. And actively searching for provinces with Chapter Houses to raze when they drop a cross on you. What can I say, the Danes are fun.
    I tech up to getting Huscarles (not available in Late) and spam 'em out in tons after which the game is as good as won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

I am playing the vanilla version, so not even sure Hurscarles exist except as rebels.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I noticed that, plenty of decent prince generals. My only problems now are:

My empire is a bit disconnected in parts, so that could affect loyalty at some point.
    Hold Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Norsogod, Livonia, Lithuania, all of the British Isles, Ireland, Flanders, Britany (bribed it) Friesland, Portugal, Tuscany, Genoa, Venice, Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica (these I grabbed for ship building as decent tech, and to keep an eye on areas on there in the earlier game before I kicked the Sicilians out of the Italian provinces), and Constanople ( the English held it, but after battling them when they attacked my navy, found it was easy to take).

I noticed my GA point totals are lower than the Turks and the Spanish (who are huge, they extend from Aquatine all the way to Tripoli with a few rebel provinces here and there)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Managed to not be excommunicated, somehow. I was at war with the pope at one time, even though I kicked the Sicilians out of his turf. The new pope later same along with a bit of help. They didn’t ransom him, though the English did before the Spanish wiped them out.
    Last edited by kasmersensei; 06-18-2020 at 02:13.

Quote Originally Posted by kasmersensei View Post
    Managed to not be excommunicated, somehow. I was at war with the pope at one time, even though I kicked the Sicilians out of his turf. The new pope later same along with a bit of help. They didn’t ransom him, though the English did before the Spanish wiped them out.
    Sorry, managed to get part of my post imbedded there, small iPhone screen...
    Last edited by kasmersensei; 06-18-2020 at 02:14.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I tech up to getting Huscarles (not available in Late) and spam 'em out in tons after which the game is as good as won.
    Quote Originally Posted by kasmersensei View Post
    I am playing the vanilla version, so not even sure Hurscarles exist except as rebels.
    Vanilla as in no VI? With the VI expansion you can build them in Denmark, Sweden, and Norway in Early only, with a Swordsmith and Armourer. Spamming fully upgraded Huscarles from Sweden is one of life's little pleasures.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

And if you do a bit of modding, you can add the VI units of the Vikings into the Early part of the game, giving you more troop depth and variety.

Cheap Thralls for garrisons are great.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post

Cheap Thralls for garrisons are great.
    As are cheap thrills when you build a brothel....
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Member thankful for this post:

Have plenty of those, done a fair bit of spy rushing before I opened fire on the Spanish and broke up their empire dreams.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Under ideal circumstances -- ha! -- I generally prefer to own no more than around 10 provinces. Obviously, however, that can vary, especially depending on the situation and which faction I'm playing as.

And of course it's fun sometimes to just rampage across the map and conquer everyone. Some of the most enjoyable scenarios are where 1-2 other factions and myself have become superpowers, and there's a massive showdown in the endgame for control of the world.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

I agree, though since my Acer died I am rampaging across a chessboard only!

I go down to the Holy Roman Empire and start taking regions away from them excommunicated as well .what can I say I am Norse.

I am going to have to try your way out Drone got any videos on it ?
    Last edited by Age; 01-09-2022 at 23:23.