Thread: Does repleneshing an army draw on "kingdom manpower pool" or anything?

Senior Member Senior Member RedKnight's Avatar

Question Does repleneshing an army draw on "kingdom manpower pool" or anything?

Hi folks,

I recently picked up TW Britannia and am really enjoying it.

Sometimes you can choose between a battle that you can barely survive, but you'll need a lot of new army replenishments (replacements). Or you could be more circumspect, move slower, and need less.

But this game, unlike many other strategy games I've played, talks about replenishment per se in a simple way, where it mainly depends on supplies and food abundance, and a little on the general's perks and maybe a kingdom-wide event.

But the game also talks about, e.g., "replenishment for cavalry units in recruitment pool" as though it's something completely separate. (That's from the tooltip for the tech Military / Cavalry / Horse-Warrior Traditions when playing as Mide.)

Is this concept of the number of new recruit units and the time they need to surface, in the recruitment pool, entirely separate from how much you're burning through men on the battle field?

There's also supplies and food, but they, too, seem somewhat separated.

To cut to the chase:

If I fight lots of punishing battles that I barely survive, and my army needs several turns to replenish, do I delay the "arrival" of brand new units to recruit?

Or are they completely disjointed mechanisms in Brittania?

In most games I've played, they are highly related.

Thanks if you can help!

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Default Re: Does repleneshing an army draw on "kingdom manpower pool" or anything?

From what I've read they seem to be disjointed mechanics in Britannia. There seems to be a percentage chance for being able to recruit more of the different units in the window on the next turn improved through tech, while the replenishment is tied to buildings in the province, where you army is stationed/fortified, and events in-game. So it looks like they are entirely separated from each other, so recruiting lots of units won't affect replenishment and vice-a-versa from what I've read of the mechanics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Does repleneshing an army draw on "kingdom manpower pool" or anything?

Thanks, Casargo. That was certainly my impression. For example, a Granary in a province probably helps replenishment a lot. Or maybe Governor perks.

But the ability to recruit new units seems to depend mainly on technology and occasional Events.

It's fine with me; I can work with it. It's just quite out of the ordinary compared to many games, where "manpower" is a general concept where everything is inter-related. Especially with how often you lose men and need replenishment.

Anyway. Thanks again!

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

The only thing that seems to matter for both is food, so my previous post was technically true, but only if you have enough food for both recruitment and replenishment. That seems to be the way the devs handled 'manpower' in the game, which is the same basic concept, but in a simpler way it seems. You're welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Right ... yet even with food, there's a bit of a simplification in this game ...

Every single unit needs 10 to 20 food; it will be the same for all units in a given turn, and depends on your techs. It does not change if some units are depleted.

But the speed of replenishment depends on your overall kingdom food level, from Famine (-50%) to Abundance (+30%).

Anyway... it's all good. Just ... different.

Take care, thanks again.