Thread: Ever wondered why your Spanish Jinetes have no shields?

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Ever wondered why your Spanish Jinetes have no shields?

If you ever looked, and ever cared, those Spanish Jinetes in MTW:VI don't show any shields in battle, even though they should. This is all down to a single spelling mistake in the original install.

Navigate to /Textures/Men/Items/Shield1/SpanishJinettes

and change it to /Textures/Men/Items/Shield1/SpanishJinetes

then you will see Jinetes with the little round shields they were always supposed to have. It seems strange CA got it right for the weapons but messed up on the shields, but there you go....

It doesn't stop them being irritating b******s when they're showering your flanks wih javelins, but at least they will finally look right
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Members thankful for this post (3):

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: Ever wondered why your Spanish Jinetes have no shields?

So that's why!

Thank you macsen for solving a bug that's about 19 years old.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

They are under Shield2 in my install, but still misspelled. Good catch!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Member thankful for this post:

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    They are under Shield2 in my install, but still misspelled. Good catch!
    That is probably a '1am posting' thing Shield2 sounds right, folks...
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 08-18-2020 at 13:55.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Wow, I wonder how you got to that, well done!

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

A belated thanks for the tip, macsen rufus! Now I'm gonna have to go fire up a Castille campaign and see how they look.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    A belated thanks for the tip, macsen rufus! Now I'm gonna have to go fire up a Castille campaign and see how they look.
    This advice has helped you organize your time

I do kind of wish they fixed it, there's still quite a lot of bugs in MTW that will probably never be fixed.

Diplomacy springs to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Xantan View Post
    I do kind of wish they fixed it, there's still quite a lot of bugs in MTW that will probably never be fixed.

Diplomacy springs to mind.
    What's wrong with diplomacy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    What's wrong with diplomacy?
    A lot of times nonsensical, it's very difficult to hold allies. Worst offender is when you get attacked and some ally breaks the alliance with you because reasons.

Also ceasefires are very hard to get even if you have maximum influence as your king.

A lot of times nonsensical, it's very difficult to hold allies. Worst offender is when you get attacked and some ally breaks the alliance with you because reasons.
    Don't you think that it is the way it was in the real life in Medieval Europe? So it is not a bug, but close following historical truth.

Also ceasefires are very hard to get even if you have maximum influence as your king.
    Pope is more prone to accept ceasefire. And if you are at war with someone who is far away from your borders it is enough to pull off all your agents and ships so that your enemy isn't seen on the map - and the ceaefire will be automatic. Otherwise it is a problem, but I don't see how this is a bug, it is the game architecture to make it more challenging. After all, TOTAL war should live up to its name.

Don't you think that it is the way it was in the real life in Medieval Europe? So it is not a bug, but close following historical truth.
    Agreed, but only to a point. Playing as France for example, warring with the Italians, should not invalidate an alliance that I have with the Poles just because.

And the issue that I have mainly is because I cannot redo those alliances at all after they've been broken. Even after 100 years of playing. It doesn't work out well, and the lack of ceasefires no matter what you try is extremely frustrating.

I remember a Byzantine Empire campaign that got me a huge amount of trade revenue (over 10-15.000 florins per turn in Constantinople) by having boats everywhere. Even after 60-70 years I couldn't redo the alliances, since one of the factions attacked me and I lost alliances.

Agreed, but only to a point. Playing as France for example, warring with the Italians, should not invalidate an alliance that I have with the Poles just because.

And the issue that I have mainly is because I cannot redo those alliances at all after they've been broken. Even after 100 years of playing. It doesn't work out well, and the lack of ceasefires no matter what you try is extremely frustrating.

I remember a Byzantine Empire campaign that got me a huge amount of trade revenue (over 10-15.000 florins per turn in Constantinople) by having boats everywhere. Even after 60-70 years I couldn't redo the alliances, since one of the factions attacked me and I lost alliances.
    If you want something to happen and it doesn't, it doesn't mean it is a bug. The game is honed to be challenging, so the larger you are, the less prone is the AI to let you have allies. But no bugs.

I agree that the game is supposed to be challenging, to make you think tactically, but diplomacy is bugged.

Look at M2TW - you can fight for 20 years and then factions sue for peace. And you can also resume your alliances with your former allies after another 10 years let's say. This does not happen in MTW. Never happened.

I agree that the game is supposed to be challenging, to make you think tactically, but diplomacy is bugged.

Look at M2TW - you can fight for 20 years and then factions sue for peace. And you can also resume your alliances with your former allies after another 10 years let's say. This does not happen in MTW. Never happened.
    Bug is something that goes wrong against the initial scheme. I believe that what you are talking about is the architecture of the game, not a malfunction.

So in this case, the architecture of the game is bugged, because this is not supposed to happen at all. In the end, it's still a problem of the game.

If only MTW would have been fixed on diplomacy, some more minor bugs fixes + adding some more units (Eastern factions are lacking) and then we would have an impeccably epic game.

Still is epic regardless.

So in this case, the architecture of the game is bugged, because this is not supposed to happen at all. In the end, it's still a problem of the game.
    Are you well-versed in the initial design of the game and its real-life implementation that you can claim what was meant to be and what was not supposed to happen?

If only MTW would have been fixed on diplomacy, some more minor bugs fixes + adding some more units (Eastern factions are lacking) and then we would have an impeccably epic game.
    If all factions had identical roster there would be no point in choosing them. Different rosters let you try different battle tactics and mirror (with some degree of approximation) the peculiarities of army composition of various real-life medieval polities.

There isn't really much diplomacy in the Total War games anyway(you just attack the weak ones) but i guess changing it would make for a different game. Do you want AIs to stop joining up on you, or maybe have more realistic/historical alliance blocks?
    The devs were probably like "we should add a diplomacy screen so that players can spend a bit more time on the strategy part" but that's all, it's not main focus. Maybe even call it cosmetic :)
    Last edited by YanBG; 11-29-2020 at 08:46.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Ever wondered why your Spanish Jinetes have no shields?

Quote Originally Posted by YanBG View Post
    There isn't really much diplomacy in the Total War games anyway(you just attack the weak ones) but i guess changing it would make for a different game. Do you want AIs to stop joining up on you, or maybe have more realistic/historical alliance blocks?
    The devs were probably like "we should add a diplomacy screen so that players can spend a bit more time on the strategy part" but that's all, it's not main focus. Maybe even call it cosmetic :)
    That's likely true for the first 2 games, though I wouldn't call it cosmetic. Certainly in M:TW, with its crusades and naval trade, diplomacy mattered.

And sometimes the diplomacy was just stupid. The pointless naval wars in M:TW, for example. And in R:TW the A.I. was blatantly programmed to gang up on the player. If you declared war on a faction that was being attacking on multiple sides, its opponents often would make peace instantly. That's pretty immersion-breaking: you think you are making a smart strategic move, but then the A.I. uses a cheatcode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    That's likely true for the first 2 games, though I wouldn't call it cosmetic. Certainly in M:TW, with its crusades and naval trade, diplomacy mattered.
    Yes you don't get trade income from someone you are in war with but have you played Imperialism? It has somewhat basic diplomacy but even there you have embargoes and relations meter so that minor nations can join you peacefully.
    For me crusades are kind of scripted event. You can hide the diplomatic info and still work as intended. Just set all non-catholics or excomunicated(btw there is not a proper heretics repsentation) to potential enemies and it's done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    And sometimes the diplomacy was just stupid. The pointless naval wars in M:TW, for example. And in R:TW the A.I. was blatantly programmed to gang up on the player. If you declared war on a faction that was being attacking on multiple sides, its opponents often would make peace instantly. That's pretty immersion-breaking: you think you are making a smart strategic move, but then the A.I. uses a cheatcode.
    I didn't like it at first too but that's probably needed to keep the game fun and for the player to have always a challenge. There is an example from reality too, how Russia made peace with the Ottomans right before Napoleon's invasion.
    Last edited by YanBG; 11-29-2020 at 12:40.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Ever wondered why your Spanish Jinetes have no shields?

Quote Originally Posted by YanBG View Post
    I didn't like it at first too but that's probably needed to keep the game fun and for the player to have always a challenge. There is an example from reality too, how Russia made peace with the Ottomans right before Napoleon's invasion.
    Yes: before, not during. And frankly that was Napoleon's fault for neglecting to make diplomatic overtures to the Ottomans. He complacently assumed that Russia's neighbours would side with him, and would blunder even worse with the Swedes.

You are right that this prevents the A.I. from being a pushover, but when it is this blatant it feels like cheating. That can be fun or frustrating, depend on what you expect from the game.

Member thankful for this post:

YanBG 

If all factions had identical roster there would be no point in choosing them. Different rosters let you try different battle tactics and mirror (with some degree of approximation) the peculiarities of army composition of various real-life medieval polities.
    S2TW had almost identical rosters and yet it was a very fun game.

It's about the diplomacy mechanics which honestly, in my view, are not ideal. They don't work fully and even by comparison with M2TW we can see that. And also M2TW had problems - I remember trying to play on Very Hard was rather uninspiring since you had to fight sieges every other turn if you played as HRE for example.