Thread: Free games and giveaways

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Default Free games and giveaways

Hey folks,

Epic Games is giving away three games today FOR FREE: Football Manager 2020, Watch Dogs 2 and Stick it to the Man. Check out the links below - all you need is a free Epic Games account!

Football Manager
    https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...ager-2020/home

Watch Dogs 2
    https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...ch-dogs-2/home

Stick it to the Man
    https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...o-the-man/home

These should be free for a limited time only, so hurry up and grab them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epic games free games.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	926.7 KB 
ID:	23947  

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Members thankful for this post (2):

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Free games and giveaways

Do they do these often?
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Epic's been doing a lot of giveaways to get people to use their platform/launcher/store, so it'll probably continue at least in the short-term @Beskar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Do they do these often?
    Yes, just as Csargo said, Epic Games is trying to get as many users to their platform as possible, so they always have free games to give away. And we are not talking about third rate trash, in the past several months, they have given away games such as ARK Survival Evolved, GTA V, Just Cause 4, Killing Floor 2, Remnant, Shadowrun, even Civlilization VI. They also gave away Total War Troy for free for the first 24hours when it came to the store.

As for the conditions, you just need a free account, that is all. Don't even need to buy anything from them.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Its definitely an interesting strategy on Epic's part. I guess it remains to be seen if they will make significant headway against Steam.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Yeah, I made an account to grab Troy and Epics is a gold-mine. Almost every day, it has a couple of offers for free games. The vast majority of them I will never play, but still... Some complain that Epic is less consumer-friendly than Steam, which is true, but who cares. It's not like I am a fan of Steam anyway, so Epic is welcome to wreak havoc.

The free games change every Thursday and stay free for a week in most cases. Troy was one of the exceptions. There are usually 2-3 games per week. Definitely worth checking out.
    This space intentionally left blank

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

There are lot of giveaways & free games happening regularly nowadays - I also suggest taking a look at Humble Bundle's regular subscription choices and bundles.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Hoping Medieval II goes on sale soon. Lost my hard copy and I have a huge itching to play the EBII mod.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Rocket League is now free on Epic Games store.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...et-league/home

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Hoping Medieval II goes on sale soon. Lost my hard copy and I have a huge itching to play the EBII mod.
    Steam Winter Sale!

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Rocket League for Free on Epic Games.
    https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...et-league/home

Also, I would love to see the next Medieval TW game on the new Warhammer engine, that would be amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Steam Winter Sale!
    Ugh but thats so far away

Maybe there will be a Halloween sale or a flash sale before then.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

There will be, yes, the Steam Autumn Sale. Which I think will be in November.

Proud

Been to:

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

I saw Medieval II on sale a couple months back for $6.99 (I think). I'm still kicking myself for not having picked it up at the time.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    I saw Medieval II on sale a couple months back for $6.99 (I think). I'm still kicking myself for not having picked it up at the time.
    Yup, I believe during the Steam Summer Sale it was that low. Guess we will have to wait another month before the autumn sale then.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I believe I have every Total War title except Thrones of Britannia, it wasn't well accepted at the time and I wouldn't get it even when it was on sale. Truth be told, I am ready for the next Total War title, even though it will probably be only slightly expanded and updated version of Warhammer 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Voigtkampf View Post
    I believe I have every Total War title except Thrones of Britannia, it wasn't well accepted at the time and I wouldn't get it even when it was on sale.
    Just my two cents...

I'll admit to being quite the fan of ToB. Of all the modern historical TW titles, it's my favorite one after Rome II.

No, it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, and it didn't help that (like Rome II) it was in somewhat rough shape at release. However, subsequent updates improved it significantly, and given the game's current state, I believe its reputation is worse than what it deserves.

Is Thrones the greatest Total War game of all time? Not even close. Is it the worst ever? Not by a long shot.

Truth be told, I am ready for the next Total War title, even though it will probably be only slightly expanded and updated version of Warhammer 2.
    Yes, Warhammer 3 is undoubtedly the next major title being worked on, and therefore the next to be announced. I don't believe we'll hear any news about it until at least sometime next year, however...and maybe not even then.

With COVID throwing a wrench into everyone's development schedules, I'm wondering if we'll see *any* standalone Total War game before 2022. CA has hinted that in the meantime, they may focus on putting out DLC for Troy and WH2. I hope that proves to be a pessimistic assessment, and that Warhammer 3 comes out next year still, but at this point I wouldn't care to bet any money on it.

As for what comes after WH3, I'm personally hoping for either Empire 2 or Medieval 3. Keeping fingers crossed!

Just my two cents...

I'll admit to being quite the fan of ToB. Of all the modern historical TW titles, it's my favorite one after Rome II.
    If the state of game has improved so much, then I will make sure to pick it up at next sale. Your opinion was always valued, Martok-Sama.

With COVID throwing a wrench into everyone's development schedules, I'm wondering if we'll see *any* standalone Total War game before 2022. CA has hinted that in the meantime, they may focus on putting out DLC for Troy and WH2. I hope that proves to be a pessimistic assessment, and that Warhammer 3 comes out next year still, but at this point I wouldn't care to bet any money on it.
    I think the chances for WH3 in 2021 are fairly decent, I will be looking towards it.

As for what comes after WH3, I'm personally hoping for either Empire 2 or Medieval 3. Keeping fingers crossed!
    I hope for Medieval 3. In my dreams I see a combination of a Total War tactical combat engine merged with Crusader Kings 3. It would be a game to end all other games.

But honestly, I barely thought about the possibility of Empire 2, which would also be an amazing thing if it happened - and probably will, given enough time and resources. +1 vote for Empire 2!

If the state of game has improved so much, then I will make sure to pick it up at next sale. Your opinion was always valued, Martok-Sama.
    Aw thanks, man. Back at ya.

Do wait for a sale, though, yes -- just in case you end up not being as enthralled with the game as I am.

I think the chances for WH3 in 2021 are fairly decent, I will be looking towards it.
    I do too, but if 2020 has taught us anything so far, it's not to take anything for granted. I suspect CA said what they did as a way of hedging their bets, which (if so) is a smart move. Best to start tempering expectations now...just in case.

I am looking forward to Warhammer 3, though. Can't wait to play as Kislev with their Bear Cavalry!

I hope for Medieval 3. In my dreams I see a combination of a Total War tactical combat engine merged with Crusader Kings 3. It would be a game to end all other games.
    I agree that would be the "ultimate" medieval strategy game, but I also have a hard time imagining that ever happening. I can't see CA developing a political/diplomatic layer quite that involved, nor can I imagine Paradox ever developing a combat engine anywhere near as detailed as in Total War. It's nice to think about, though.

But honestly, I barely thought about the possibility of Empire 2, which would also be an amazing thing if it happened - and probably will, given enough time and resources. +1 vote for Empire 2!
    Cheers, Voigtkampf.

While Medieval 3 is almost certainly the historical title fans most want to see next (and understandably so!), there's a significant (and growing) amount of support for an Empire sequel as well. Despite ETW generally being considered the worst game in the franchise, everyone also seems to recognize that the concept itself was sound, so why not make another one?

CA has a far greater degree of both breadth and depth of experience under its figurative roof than it did a decade ago, and that's reflected in both the Warhammer sub-series and the more recent historical games. Granted, they could still screw it up...again, but I think the odds of that happening would be much lower this time around. And if the demand is there -- as it is for Medieval 3 -- the game *will* get made eventually; it's only a matter of time.
    Last edited by Martok; 10-02-2020 at 02:33.

I do too, but if 2020 has taught us anything so far, it's not to take anything for granted. I suspect CA said what they did as a way of hedging their bets, which (if so) is a smart move. Best to start tempering expectations now...just in case.

I am looking forward to Warhammer 3, though. Can't wait to play as Kislev with their Bear Cavalry!
    Ah, me too! I have actually come to like Warhammer 2, it pulled me much more into the Warhammer universe than I expected otherwise. Let me know how I can find you on Steam, we should play an MP game at some point!

I agree that would be the "ultimate" medieval strategy game, but I also have a hard time imagining that ever happening. I can't see CA developing a political/diplomatic layer quite that involved, nor can I imagine Paradox ever developing a combat engine anywhere near as detailed as in Total War. It's nice to think about, though.
    No, that will never happen. I spoke with Shams Jorjani from PDX years ago, and he told me that they will never get into the nitty gritty of tactical combat development; it will always remain a stats calculation. But as we can agree upon, it is good to dream! ;)

While Medieval 3 is almost certainly the historical title fans most want to see next (and understandably so!), there's a significant (and growing) amount of support for an Empire sequel as well. Despite ETW generally being considered the worst game in the franchise, everyone also seems to recognize that the concept itself was sound, so why not make another one?

CA has a far greater degree of both breadth and depth of experience under its figurative roof than it did a decade ago, and that's reflected in both the Warhammer sub-series and the more recent historical games. Granted, they could still screw it up...again, but I think the odds of that happening would be much lower this time around. And if the demand is there -- as it is for Medieval 3 -- the game *will* get made eventually; it's only a matter of time.
    I wouldn't mind coming back here in a couple of years and share my gameplay experience of either Empire 2 or Medieval 3!

Two new free games at Epic Games store:

Rising Storm 2 Vietnam: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...2-vietnam/home

ABZU: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/abzu/home

Rising Storm 2 Vietnam is a great FPS tactical shooter, I played it already and enjoyed it a lot. Abzu is a kind of underwater diving adventure, visually quite impressive.

Get them now while getting is still good!

Seconded on Rising Storm 2 - Vietnam. I've played it for about 20 hours in total and given the fact that it's made by the same team as Red Orchestra, if you're into realistic FPS, that's your game.

Bonus points for the rock music in the menu.

Proud

Been to:

Member thankful for this post:

Also there is a sale going on Steam right now, just picked up Medieval 2 for $6.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Martok! As Hooahguy mentioned, Medieval 2 Definitive Edition is on sale on Steam, 75% off, 6.42€ (or your country's equivalent):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/4...itive_Edition/

(Wish I could ping everyone in here interested in this!)

SEGA's 60th Anniversary is this weekend, try and snag some good deals.

Proud

Been to:

Martok! As Hooahguy mentioned, Medieval 2 Definitive Edition is on sale on Steam, 75% off, 6.42€ (or your country's equivalent):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/4...itive_Edition/

(Wish I could ping everyone in here interested in this!)
    No worries. As it happens, I noticed the sale price myself, so went ahead and picked it up.

Layers of Fear 2 is now free on Epic Games.

"Layers of Fear 2 is a first-person psychological horror game with an emphasis on exploration and story. Players control a Hollywood actor who heeds the call of an enigmatic director to take on the lead role in a film shot aboard an ocean liner."

If you like a good psycho-thriller and a good scare, this seems like a good choice. Especially since it is, after all, free.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...of-fear-2/home