Thread: Hoplites

Default Hoplites

Hello,
    i am playing a makedonian campaign and i noticed that hoplites and mercenary hoplites have different stats, the former focusing mostly on armor and the latter on defensive ability.
    I wonder, is this supposed to make them have different roles on the battlefield?
    And secondly, i would like to know if there is a guide about how the stats work, because i haven't found one.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Hoplites

Not sure what the intention is, if any. I usually place the units with less armor in the rear to act as a reserve and also because they're more vulnerable to archer/ranged fire. Mercenary vs regular hoplite stats aren't super different, so I don't go that much out of my way to balance them.

Default Re: Hoplites

This is intentional and I believe the in game descriptions also mention something to that regard, but I know it was at elast mentioned in the forums some time.

Mercenary hoplites were more often used in secondary tasks outside forming the line of battle. Patrolling an area, moving ahead of the main army in small forces, dealing with small reconnassaince forces from the opposition, thus the preference for a lighter equipment.

However been mercenaries they tended to have more training than regular hoplites, at least from experience, thats why the higher defence skill and hardy traits in comparison to the standard hoplites.