Thread: General TW Discussion

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default General TW Discussion

TW Org,

As you might have noticed, we have created the Total War general forum, a place where we can discuss TW in general and not necessarily reltaed to specific titles or DLCs. You might want to know more about the next title, some system requirements, or perhaps spepculate what could be the new Total War game - this is the place to do it.

It's a general discussion board and feel free to add / ask / learn about TW in general as you see fit.

This forum is open for business.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Member Member Scholae Palatinae's Avatar

Default Re: General TW Discussion

I am 90% sure the next Total War game will be:
    a)Crusades
    b)American Conquest
    These two themes were absent since Medieval 2.

Fall of the Samurai went quite well with gunpowder, it was actually pretty well received, so I would assume that a Civil War Total War would in fact be a good game / success for the team.

there's a cat in the mech Member Twilight Esker's Avatar

I think a Civil War period would be a Saga title, really along with anything else that was in the Kingdoms expansions. I don't stake my money on a Civil War or Crusades campaign officially happening either, but time will tell. If anything I think it will be a new full bore gunpowder title (Empire 2) or possibly something in the Medieval period.

I want to say that the next major historical title will probably bring true technical changes, but we'll have to see there too.

A Civil War title will 150% spark more interest in the historical TW part, which right now has been essentially taken over by Warhammer and semi-fantasy TW3K. While TW3K was rather historical in the beginning, by the end with the DLC added to it, it went full fantasy.

there's a cat in the mech Member Twilight Esker's Avatar

3K wished to splice them together in the first place. As we saw with Troy, that split didn't hold up so well. It's actually interesting to take your statement where it went full fantasy and contextualize it with the series... a desire to go half and half, going all the way because that is the taste.

They'll need to kick that habit before any title can really appeal to history-oriented players.

But my scruples on Civil War (assuming you mean American Civil War) regard factors of the potential game and its contents when compared to other options, aside from the simple isolated statement where yes, it would be interesting. Though probably still a Saga at most. I could get into these if you like, and we can see if they're valid or not. I haven't thought too deeply on it, but I think the issues with Civil War would overlap with reasons why various titles (such as Crusades, even Americas) would be unlikely to happen regardless (or in some ways because of) of the interest it would make.

I find this rather problematic - the whole split up of teams between TW main team historical, TW fantasy main team, Saga teams, DLC teams... at some point, unless you have an enormous amount of developers, it's going to be disjointed. Look at Cyberpuk 2077. Huge hype, huge budget, a ton of bugs.

It doesn't look particularly fond for historical TW in the future. It's becoming a second thought.

There has been no historical game information since last year, when they mentioned that a new title is "under development". Ever since then, radio silence.

It's been almost a year if not more ever since we got information. I'm quite deflated over here, no information and no nothing about historical games.

Gah.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xantan View Post
    I find this rather problematic - the whole split up of teams between TW main team historical, TW fantasy main team, Saga teams, DLC teams... at some point, unless you have an enormous amount of developers, it's going to be disjointed. Look at Cyberpuk 2077. Huge hype, huge budget, a ton of bugs.

It doesn't look particularly fond for historical TW in the future. It's becoming a second thought.
    That's a real shame too. I still replay Shogun 2, Atilla, and Thrones of Britannia from time to time but Paradox games have been fulfilling my strategy game love for the most part though the combat system of Total War games still brings me back for my favorites from time to time.

Never tried a Total War fantasy game as that's what my RPGs are for though of course those aren't strategy in the slightest.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

As I have no interest in Warhammer, there will be no fantasy TW for me. I guess I'll stick to the older titles, thankfully they have plenty of replayability + mods.

Proud

Been to:

It's real shame if they stick with fantasy like WH. I'd love for them to redo Napoleon TW as I've never been able to get it to work with Steam and it's one of the most interesting periods for military tactics/strategy.

The older titles certainly have lots of replay ability though I've not tried any mods since the first MTW and RTW!

I guess the trend toward 'mobile gaming' has really hurt us PC gamers. I've seen the same issue with my favorite simulators, there's only the most hardcore accurate or total arcade style like World of Warships or World of Tanks. Would love a new Silent Hunter for the Pacific theater and really miss the "Jane's" series of military games.
    Last edited by spmetla; 07-13-2022 at 19:48.

-Abraham Lincoln

Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Hah, Jane's. I used to have USNF 97 and it was an absolute dream back in 1998/1999/2000. I still have the original manual with me, it's literally a textbook that can be used in a military college - that detailed and descriptive.

As for our beloved series, we just have to wait and see. But it's clear to me that the best days of the series have been experienced already.

Proud

Been to:

We're near to 2023, and with the teams working on a future historical title, I expect that in 2023 we get a new announcement of the future game and in 2024 we see a launch.

Proud

Been to:

Excited to see what it will be!

-Abraham Lincoln

Well, I was right, we were close to a historical release. And here it is, Pharaoh TW, spanning esentially the period before the Bronze Age. There's plenty of information about the game in the video below, and I believe we can expect a release date of 2024 for this.

It remains to be seen whether this is going to be similar to Troy TW or more historical than that. Less mythology.

Proud

Been to:

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Well, I was right, we were close to a historical release. And here it is, Pharaoh TW, spanning esentially the period before the Bronze Age. There's plenty of information about the game in the video below, and I believe we can expect a release date of 2024 for this.

It remains to be seen whether this is going to be similar to Troy TW or more historical than that. Less mythology.

I wonder what other factions there'd be. I assume there'd be a lot since ancient Egypt's history is very long.
    Wooooo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scholae Palatinae View Post
    I am 90% sure the next Total War game will be:
    a)Crusades
    b)American Conquest
    These two themes were absent since Medieval 2.
    yeah, it would be exciting to see these eras explored in a modern Total War installment. While we can't be certain about the direction the developers will take, your suggestions certainly sound promising and would be welcomed by many fans of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    I wonder what other factions there'd be. I assume there'd be a lot since ancient Egypt's history is very long.

Since we're in 2024, I think it's a good time to remember that it's been about 25 years since Shogun Total War was announced...

https://www.ign.com/articles/1999/02...the-art-of-war

February 1999 article in IGN.

Proud

Been to: