Thread: One To One - Vanilla Campaign Enhancement

Default One To One - Vanilla Campaign Enhancement

First of all, hello to everybody still lurking in the mod section!

I am not even close to a capable TW player whatsoever, BUT my OCD still got in the way. So I started playing M2TW a few days back out of boredom, and I could remember the "timescale to 0.5" before even running the game for he first time. I started playing a bit, then it dawned on me: The buildings should take 4x longer to build if we want to keep this nicely proportional.

So the story of my last four days begins. One thing lead to another and my atention for immersion would not let up. My goal was to make the game less meta and more forgiving in short term, but still requiring looking ahead into the future, basically a slow paced experience where every new unit, army and building have some weight.

Keep in mind that this is intended to be played with vanilla version of the game, timescale set to 0.5, campaign difficulty Medium or High, battle difficulty Very High and for multi-army battles let the AI control the other armies.

Medieval II: One To One v1.11 - Download here!

Changelog v1.0:
    • Building times increased by x4.
    • Building costs increased by x4.
    • Unit train time changed depending on the original price and mount, varying from 1-8 turns.
    • Trainable unit price increased to base value of x1.5, with additional positive and negative modifiers for training, manpower and equipment status, varying from x1 to x2,25.
    • Trainable unit upkeep reduced by x4, with additional modifier for mounted units.
    • Mercenary unit prices vary from x1 to x1.5, depending on the training status, while retaining 1 turn to join the army.
    • Mercenary upkeep is reduced by x2, with additional modifier for mounted units and training status.
    • All upgrade costs increased x2.
    • King's Purse reduced x4.
    • Settlement population requirements increased x4.
    • Fixed building missions to be acheivable.

Changelog v1.1
    • Fixed mod structure to work properly.
    • Disabled autosave via configuration (possible crash reduction).
    • Removed files that were not needed.

The jist of it is that you should take care of your army and carefully plan ahead. Castles behind frontlines should be making better troops since the train times won't be interrupted by sieges, whilst frontline settlements rally whatever commoners are around that can pick up a spear. Capable units get more attention and main armies would return back to their homeland for refitting/retraining instead of plowing ahead. Mercenaries are a quick fix, albeit costly, and as such shouldn't be used for prolonged times in warmongering campaigns. I imagine getting the most out of diplomacy and merchants is also a good thing for the later game. AI seems to follow the prices and corresponding budgets they have at their disposal. I was also looking for a workaround that could open more building slots as the city/castle was upgraded, but saw no such thing, someone mentioning that it's hardcoded. Other than that, the game is basically vanilla.

I will keep on playtesting for a few days before I release the files, since I got one crash while starting a new campaign, but a restart of the game automagically fixed it. Ofcourse I also need to check the balance of everything, so it doesn't become unplayable/too easy after a few hours into the game.

Inb4 "there is already a mod that does the x4 buildings!". - Yes, but I wanted to make my own gameplay. :D
    Last edited by Arnoldio; 02-09-2021 at 07:53.

Default Re: One To One - Vanilla Campaign Enhancement

Updated first post with DL link, v1.0 is ready.

Default Re: One To One - Vanilla Campaign Enhancement

My oversight made the structure wrong. Version 1.1 is avaliable and should be working as intended. Also disabled autosave in hopes to prevent crashing.

NOTE: If you downloaded and ran v1.0, there will be two maps in the mods folder - "one_to_one" and "one_to_one_test". Delete both. If you want to keep the savefiles, they are in "one_to_one_test" folder, but I would advise to start a new campaign.

OP updated, sorry for the inconvenience.