Thread: Influential American Radio Talk-show Host Rush Limbaugh dead of cancer at age 70.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Influential American Radio Talk-show Host Rush Limbaugh dead of cancer at age 70.

Link

Limbaugh changed the course of talk-radio during his 3+ decades hosting his show and had a profound impact on politics in the USA.

Condolences to his family and friends for their personal grief.

I will await the usual constraints of the Backroom on other commentary.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Influential American Radio Talk-show Host Rush Limbaugh dead of cancer at age 70.

He was certainly an influential person on the right.

To remind patrons of the rules:
    When a person of note dies, it is the Backroom tradition that we do not dissect their legacy until the funeral has taken place. Until that time, only respectful posts marking their passing will be allowed.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Influential American Radio Talk-show Host Rush Limbaugh dead of cancer at age 70.

Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Wow, that thread takes me back to another time, both in the Org and in the world at large.

Honestly I'd be willing to let part of the rule slide this time to allow folks to discuss his legacy as long as it did not venture into the crass category. As the saying goes, we do not need to shed a tear over someone we loathe, but we do not need to be ghouls about it either.

To start, I think that Rush is among the most responsible for the modern conservative movement- a movement that has come to be defined by conspiratorial thinking, insults, and grievances. He was the proto-Trump, saying things that shocked regular folk while his audience reveled in it.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I don't really have any comment about Limbaugh or his legacy, but it occurs to me that a radio-Limbaugh would have been firmly in permaban territory within a day of joining the Backroom.
    Vitiate Man.

Omg, I was fucking cringe back then.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Though we did not know that at the time, apparently the funeral rites were conducted at sea prior to us even being made aware of the results of that operation.

Still, I regret the wink emoji.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Odd coincidence, but the day this thread was opened, Sauron's tower collapsed.

Vitiate Man.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I'd like to think my posts held up pretty well, actually. As for the current topic, if you can't say anything nice:
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur