Thread: Future Historical TW

Default Future Historical TW

Right, we haven't had a new historical title in quite a while, and with Creative Assembly working on Warhammer 3, we won't have one for a while either.

But...

So the trademark of Medieval has been recently registered at the Patent Office in the UK, which means that they are moving with the new historical titles. This doesn't mean it's a new M3TW, but it's a good step forward for the historical titles.

What's your take on the future of TW?

Member Member Scholae Palatinae's Avatar

Default Re: Future Historical TW

Didn't they already have a registered title TOTAL WAR MEDIEVAL as they have created a games under this trademark in the past?

Besides, I prefer them just making remaster like they do with Rome. Not brand new game.
    Last edited by Scholae Palatinae; 03-25-2021 at 23:24.

They do, they register the trademarks every year, as required by UK law if they want to keep the trademarks.

I meant Medieval, not Warhammer, lol. Miswrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantan View Post
    They do, they register the trademarks every year, as required by UK law if they want to keep the trademarks.
    That makes sense then.

Well, I guess we got our wish - the next historical TW is technically RTW Remastered in this case. Not a new title, but a historical one nonetheless, and it created a lot of buzz for the studio.

Having started playing Medieval 2 again recently (after several years off), I can honestly say that it is fabulous, and would be a very welcome remaster. Have to say that I’d hope Diplomacy is a bit more chill though, as you can’t take two turns without someone declaring war. Or is that just the playing as the Byzantines?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I could definitely see the Hundred Years' War as a Saga title or something. That would actually be something I am interested in. My worry is though that they are taking the wrong cues from games like Troy and Three Kingdoms and add in ahistorical modes with heroes and whatnot. I see the appeal, but I personally am wary of such additions overtaking the development of more historical game modes.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I'd really love the Total War with action time around that of Thrones of Britannia and with a map of M2 Teutonic campaign + Scandinavia. Basically the Viking age in middle Europe, with Saxons, the Norse, the Polish, Baltic and Ruthean tribes as well as the Avars.
    Last edited by Scholae Palatinae; 04-22-2021 at 11:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Scholae Palatinae View Post
    I'd really love the Total War with action time around that of Thrones of Britannia and with a map of M2 Teutonic campaign + Scandinavia. Basically the Viking age in middle Europe, with Saxons, the Norse, the Polish, Baltic and Ruthean tribes as well as the Avars.
    So basically an early Medieval game with a focus on everything geographically north of Switzerland? I'd dig it. Only thing is that they would need to introduce some unit variety and for gods sake add more color. My biggest gripe with Thrones of Britannia was how dull everything looked which kinda made it hard to be excited about playing it. Rome 2 and Attila had the same issue I think.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 04-22-2021 at 22:16.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    So basically an early Medieval game with a focus on everything geographically north of Switzerland? I'd dig it. Only thing is that they would need to introduce some unit variety and for gods sake add more color. My biggest grip with Thrones of Britannia was how dull everything looked which kinda made it hard to be excited about playing it. Rome 2 and Attila had the same issue I think.
    Yup. Just your standard Teotonic campaign few years earlier.
    Also I didn't play the newer Total Wars except Warhammer. I'm used to be TW's conservative and I stick to Rome 1 and Medieval 2 for now. Watching playthroughs, reading players' criticisms and seeing Warhammer simplified game mechanics is enough for me to dislike those games. I just want Medieval 2 remaster or Medieval 3 with campaign like this. Standalone game would be fine too, but with a small step back to the roots, please.

CA-SEGA kieruje się gustami popkultury. Nowy Total War to będzie historia która jest rozpoznawalna dla ,,anglojęzycznych społeczeństw w USA i Wielkiej Brytanii. Osobiście nie oczekuję MED-3, i zapewne takiego nie będzie. Jeśli coś z tych tematów to w formie Sagi np. wojna 100 letnia z Joanną D Arc. itp. O strategii bez elementów RPG i interakcji postaci trzeba zapomnieć, CA SAGA określiło już kierunki. Dla mnie ciekawym TW, były by czasy ,,Bronze Age,, z kulturami ,,Bliskiego Wschodu,, itp.

Quote Originally Posted by magistermilitum View Post
    CA-SEGA kieruje się gustami popkultury. Nowy Total War to będzie historia która jest rozpoznawalna dla ,,anglojęzycznych społeczeństw w USA i Wielkiej Brytanii. Osobiście nie oczekuję MED-3, i zapewne takiego nie będzie. Jeśli coś z tych tematów to w formie Sagi np. wojna 100 letnia z Joanną D Arc. itp. O strategii bez elementów RPG i interakcji postaci trzeba zapomnieć, CA SAGA określiło już kierunki. Dla mnie ciekawym TW, były by czasy ,,Bronze Age,, z kulturami ,,Bliskiego Wschodu,, itp.
    Going forward, please speak in English so all patrons of this website can clearly understand you. Thanks!
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

I presume having a Dark Ages TW would have some historical sources problem - but then again, we have the Charlemagne expansion for Attila which kind of went for that specific period. 800 - 1000 period.

I presume having a Dark Ages TW would have some historical sources problem - but then again, we have the Charlemagne expansion for Attila which kind of went for that specific period. 800 - 1000 period.
    Has historical accuracy ever really been a top priority for CA though? Like they just did a game about Troy so Im sure they could figure something out.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I know Pharaoh Egypt and Flaming Pigs spring to mind from the original RTW but I guess there's a specific limit on what they can work on.

Attila TW's units were a lot of generic stuff...

I know Pharaoh Egypt and Flaming Pigs spring to mind from the original RTW but I guess there's a specific limit on what they can work on.

Attila TW's units were a lot of generic stuff...
    Flaming pigs were real though.

dobrze.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_pig

So apparently yes, flaming pigs were real - but Arcani and Screaming Celts are definitely not.

Also, do you all remember the Forlorn Hope from M2TW? A weird mix of Zwei Hander unit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_pig

So apparently yes, flaming pigs were real - but Arcani and Screaming Celts are definitely not.

Also, do you all remember the Forlorn Hope from M2TW? A weird mix of Zwei Hander unit.
    Screaming German Women and Head Hurling Celts were real too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scholae Palatinae View Post
    Screaming German Women and Head Hurling Celts were real too.
    Screaming women yes (though not in unit form), but can you cite a source for the head hurling? I was under the impression that heads were more of a trophy for many Celtic peoples so throwing them at enemies seems silly.

Theres also other things like gladiator units in Rome 1 that also dont have a basis in history. While there were of course gladiators, they were not used on the battlefield in their gladiator gear if they were drafted into the army- they were in regular Roman gear.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 04-27-2021 at 15:30.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    (though not in unit form)
    I know.
    Head Hurlers were not a unit neither. Although, Celts (or perhaps the Picts rather) did throw human body parts at the Romans during Britain conquest. Head trophies were collected only from the high ranking soldiers/warriors or at least the heads of enemy generals were the only ones valued and their wielders (the new ones) respected.
    I don't know the exact English-language source but I watched some document on History channel and I've read Polish book "Barbarzyńska Europa" by Karol Modzelewski. I don't know if there is its English version.