Thread: Age of Samurai

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Age of Samurai

Has anyone watched the new series by Netflix called The Age of Samurai: Battle for Japan?
    High Plains Drifter

Default Re: Age of Samurai

I haven't watched the show but there is a youtube channel called "The Shogunate" who has reviewed it. The Shogunate has been making a Sengoku Jidai video series and I consider him to be quite knowledgeable on the subject. I just watched his review and ooof....it doesn't sound good. At first I figured I'd give it a go even if it was a mediocre production but after watching that review I think I'll pass. I'll just keep watching the Shogunate's videos instead. What about you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qkzp2-QkTE&t=37s

It was.....ok. As pointed out, there was far too much happening in the period to get it all with just six 40-45min episodes. The equipment inaccuracies, is to me minor. Some may find that a major point, but honestly, how many people who might even know a bit about weaponry in the period notice the inaccurate portrayal of Ashi armor? The predominance of the katana and matchlocks does, indeed, crowd out the more prevalent use of the yari.

My biggest complaint was lack of, or inaccurate, portrayal of central characters. That might be ok for someone who knows nothing of the period, but I kept finding myself asking where is Uesugi Kenshin, and what happened to the historical rivalry with Takeda Shingen? And I'd agree---too much emphasis on Date Masamune. I didn't care much for the portrayal of Oda as basically a peasant oaf, and the showrunners did his character the most injustice, IMHO. Being my favorite clan in STW, I've done a fair bit of reading on Oda and he was indeed extremely cruel, sometimes petty, but at the same time a brilliant tactician, highly intelligent, and not at all the uncultured oaf as portrayed.

It's worth watching...barely...but if you have better things to do, you're not missing much.
    High Plains Drifter

I'd be curious to know what you've read on the time period. I know very little about the subject. The Shogunate's Sengoku Jidai video series is the most informative source that I've come across. And I still have most of Kurosawa's movies that I still haven't watched. Still it would be nice to get my hands on some substantial reading material. I have Clavell's Shogun and a Stephen Turnbull book about ninja's (neither of which I've finished) and that's about it. So how about it? Any reading recommendations? Thanks in advance

Osprey has a solid list of reading material. Won't knock your socks off, but it's a good starting point:

https://ospreypublishing.com/catalog...amurai+history

"A History of Japan" By George Sansom, vol II is a huge, in-depth read. Vol I covers Japan pre-1334; Vol II from 1334-1615; Vol III from 1615-1867. If you have Kurosawa's movies----watch them.
    High Plains Drifter

I've been a fan of Uesugi clan since my friend lent me the first issue of STW back in 2000's, and was extremely disappointed with no coverage on the Uesugi on this Netflix special.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of it, but I remember watching a Japanese drama series called Tenchijin, and found it entertaining.

I've watched the first episode and that was it, it was just too dramatic / cartoonish in some ways, I could not go further. I do understand it might get more people interested in it overall so hopefully more will be interested in this interesting period. While the series has some strong cinematic viewpoints and it has a lot of interviews with respected historians like Stephen Turnbull, it's way too much in my view.

At least it will get a couple of more people interested in the period.