Thread: Want Empire Total War

Default Want Empire Total War

Ever since the creator went to steam and ditched boxed DVD's, I stopped buying TW games. It takes forever to download the steam and then a game, and I have no intention of paying a cent more for increased juice from my internet company, Comcast.

I begged for an 18th century TW game from the company, and my luck, when it finally came after years of waiting, it was on steam! No way!
    I cursed the heavens and ate dirt when that happened. Then of course I notice there were other TW games being released via steam. Hey, I want to OWN games I buy, not "lease" the right to use them. You think downloading a massive game file is easy? You are wrong--I tried to download "Thrones of Britannia" last night and it said, "5 hours....." No way! What if a popup occurs while I am sleeping as it downloads?

To cut to the chase: Will anyone please tell me how to get this game without using steam? And don't bother writing, "It can't be done," or something like that, because I already had those responses from other game sites. There has to be somebody out there who can tell me how to acquire a copy of the game without steam. OR, I just thought of this: what if the game was programmed not to run unless it was a steam download! Oh, no! I hope that isn't the case.

Please don't tease me with sarcastic responses, just write back if you know how I can get Empire Total War without steam.

Default Re: Want Empire Total War

If you would like to play Empire TW, the only way is Steam. That's the only answer.

If you would like to play it offline, say for some reason you do not like Steam or your internet connection is not ideal, you need to login once and then select Go Offline. And then you can play Empire TW for as long as you like offline.

Quote Originally Posted by Xantan View Post
    If you would like to play Empire TW, the only way is Steam. That's the only answer.

If you would like to play it offline, say for some reason you do not like Steam or your internet connection is not ideal, you need to login once and then select Go Offline. And then you can play Empire TW for as long as you like offline.
    Xantan, thank you so much for a response. I don't understand what it means to be able to run the game "offline." What I don't understand is where to get the game software to install on my laptop. Do I go to the Steam website and buy it and then have to wait half a day for the Steam and the game to download?; then you are saying once the game is on my computer I can choose somehow to run it without needing to link up with the Steam website?

Forgive my ignorance, I am an old man who still has a Win 98 machine to play my old DOS games, an XP desktop for my older Total War games which don't play on my Win 7 laptop, and of course my series 6 64 bit Win 7 laptop. Medieval Total War is my favorite of all the releases, and I am worried I will never be able to play it again after the HP desktop fries.
    Last edited by MarshaldeSaxe; 03-12-2021 at 21:41. Reason: spelling and vocabulary

Hi @MarshaldeSaxe,

<"Xantan, thank you so much for a response. I don't understand what it means to be able to run the game "offline." What I don't understand is where to get the game software to install on my laptop. Do I go to the Steam website and buy it and then have to wait half a day for the Steam and the game to download?; then you are saying once the game is on my computer I can choose somehow to run it without needing to link up with the Steam website?">

As I understand it, that' s the possibility he describes. Would not be my way, but if you want it desperately, there seems to be no other (legal) way.

;-) simple hardware solution: Get yourself a ASUS P3B-F, a Coppermine with 900++MHz, and 512MB of decent CL2-RAM. Maybe even find an IDE SSD to speed up things ;-) and a GF4Ti - install once, and copy the original install as often as you want to play around with various Mods or self made experiments ;-)

Once M:TW is installed on a computer from the original CDs, you can copy it as often as you want, maybe even run it on another rig without installation, just copy it to the HDD (I didn't try that one). So all the possible changes you made to your installation can be saved to a USB-stick and kept forever ;-)

Steam is not and will never be on any of my computers - the politics they have is not at all to my gusto, so f**k off, guys ;-)

...just my personal opinion....

Greetings, daigaku

Quote Originally Posted by MarshaldeSaxe View Post
    Xantan, thank you so much for a response. I don't understand what it means to be able to run the game "offline." What I don't understand is where to get the game software to install on my laptop. Do I go to the Steam website and buy it and then have to wait half a day for the Steam and the game to download?; then you are saying once the game is on my computer I can choose somehow to run it without needing to link up with the Steam website?

Forgive my ignorance, I am an old man who still has a Win 98 machine to play my old DOS games, an XP desktop for my older Total War games which don't play on my Win 7 laptop, and of course my series 6 64 bit Win 7 laptop. Medieval Total War is my favorite of all the releases, and I am worried I will never be able to play it again after the HP desktop fries.
    That is correct Marshal.

Offline mode is quite useful for those with not so good internet connections or who don't like Steam.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-AGCB-2555 - Offline Mode Steam

Thank you so much Xantan, I looked at the Steam site and it provides directions.

Sure enough many older gamers think that MTW 1.1 was one of the best turn-based games of all times. I agree, though of course I have no idea how many turn-based games it would compare with! We all like confirmation of what we already believe! Empire Total War had some negative technical comments but I would like it anyway because I want to play the Seven Years War, and maybe if there are Native American units, the North American theater--The French & Indian War. (Only this time I want the French to win. )

I will have to go on my wife's computer and print the "how to offline" directions from the steam website and try it. But first I am going to try the other suggestion about disabling my Nividia card.

What is the "political" issue with the Steam website? I am intrigued. You can tell me and I promise I will not debate if I find myself in ideological opposition. I remember once a tech guy with whom I was discussing FreeCol, a free nice rework of Sid Meier's "Colonization," (a DOS game I still have), and the tech guy said the game had been acquired by "TOR" and so he wanted nothing to do with it. I have no idea what he meant and never researched TOR.

Hi @MarshaldeSaxe,

I have the same approach as you wrote in your first post: A game I pay money for is MY game, with CD/DVD, a manual and maybe even bonuses on the CD/DVD. I never leased a car, so why should I lease a game? and why, for God's sake, should I give someone my data, just to get the right to play something? Going to a store and paying for something I own afterwards is okay, everything else for me is fraud.

Greetings, daigaku

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Steam being used as a platform is actually one of the friendliest around, to be fair, and if I remember well, there is a clause in the EULA stating that in case it ever goes offline a no-Steam patch will be released for every game.

@daigaku - as for playing the game, even back in 2000, you were buying only a license to use. You never own the game. It's only a license, a loan of sorts.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member Member Scholae Palatinae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarshaldeSaxe View Post
    Ever since the creator went to steam and ditched boxed DVD's, I stopped buying TW games. It takes forever to download the steam and then a game, and I have no intention of paying a cent more for increased juice from my internet company, Comcast.

I begged for an 18th century TW game from the company, and my luck, when it finally came after years of waiting, it was on steam! No way!
    I cursed the heavens and ate dirt when that happened. Then of course I notice there were other TW games being released via steam. Hey, I want to OWN games I buy, not "lease" the right to use them. You think downloading a massive game file is easy? You are wrong--I tried to download "Thrones of Britannia" last night and it said, "5 hours....." No way! What if a popup occurs while I am sleeping as it downloads?

To cut to the chase: Will anyone please tell me how to get this game without using steam? And don't bother writing, "It can't be done," or something like that, because I already had those responses from other game sites. There has to be somebody out there who can tell me how to acquire a copy of the game without steam. OR, I just thought of this: what if the game was programmed not to run unless it was a steam download! Oh, no! I hope that isn't the case.

Please don't tease me with sarcastic responses, just write back if you know how I can get Empire Total War without steam.
    What's your problem with Steam?
    You seem greedy *edited*, friend.
    Also, downloading from Steam takes 2 hours max, not "forever", and I have relatively slow internet.

btw. I don't really like 18th/19th century warfare, so Empire and Napoleon Total Wars might as well not exist for me. I could send you original CDs for free, but I was suspect in one case 2 years ago and police took all my CDs. I still didn't get them back.

I tried to download "Thrones of Britannia" last night and it said, "5 hours....." No way! What if a popup occurs while I am sleeping as it downloads?
    I don't understand your mindset at all.
    You would play the game long time ago already though.
    Last edited by Scholae Palatinae; 03-25-2021 at 21:29.

Easy there, Scholae, with the insults.

Some people do not like Steam because of various reasons and hence they refuse to play it.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Easy there, Scholae, with the insults.

Some people do not like Steam because of various reasons and hence they refuse to play it.
    My apologize to @MarshaldeSaxe and to community. I didn't want to insult anyone, just manifest my surprise. I thought I messaged that diplomatically enough.
    I actually want to help @MarshaldeSaxe.

EDIT. I will search my cellar tommorow, maybe I still have these games there.
    Where are you from @MarshaldeSaxe?
    Last edited by Scholae Palatinae; 03-25-2021 at 22:09.

So, I had both Empire and Napoleon in my attic. Full, boxed CD version. These are polish version but it's not a problem as you can choose English installation and game language.

I can send you, mr. @MarshaldeSaxe them for free. Just message me and we can deal the contact. It's all up to you.

Member thankful for this post:

Xantan 

Makes me a bit nostalgic to see those boxes - it's been quite some time since they were released and I purchased them. ETW for me was 2009, a full year after release, and NTW I bought it straight on release with the Imperial Edition package.

Proud

Been to:

Makes me a bit nostalgic to see those boxes - it's been quite some time since they were released and I purchased them. ETW for me was 2009, a full year after release, and NTW I bought it straight on release with the Imperial Edition package.
    And you have lost them already?
    Mine have lied down in my attic since my brother gave them to me.

Never, I have a special part in the house where I keep my TW collection. I owe all historical TWs and all of them are collectors editions (where applicable, like M2TW and ETW / NTW).

Proud

Been to:

Never, I have a special part in the house where I keep my TW collection. I owe all historical TWs and all of them are collectors editions (where applicable, like M2TW and ETW / NTW).
    Wow, neatly. I appreciate such a tended hobby.
    Personally I have not a personal cult to material things, but I love Total War series as idea and I've already purchased the Rome remaster.

Thanks for the great recommendation)

Empire TW in 2020.

And what do we want from ETW2?

Proud

Been to:

when i know will tell you
    spice money login myfiosgateway
    Last edited by nagzpl12; 11-15-2021 at 14:37.