Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rome TW - Remastered

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Rome TW - Remastered

So I played about two hours now and here is my impression:

As I said, the UI does take a bit to get a handle on, but once you figure it out its not an issue at all. The campaign AI seems to be a bit better, with them acting more aggressively and putting together large stacks to attack you. Ive had three major field battles already, one of them being an ambush that the Gauls sprung on me which was a real surprise since they were waiting in my territory. Combat is a bit too quick for my tastes, but considering I havent played vanilla RTW in well over a decade, I dont know if thats a RTW issue or a remaster issue. Regardless I am sure that modders will get to work on that. One thing that I saw was that the AI will withdraw when it sees that the battle is lost, not fight until every unit breaks which is really interesting. However since the battles are pretty quick, that seems to happen too soon. The graphics also do look really nice, especially at night, but I admit I havent spent a ton of time being zoomed in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210429160432_1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	24763
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 04-30-2021 at 14:39.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

I am also feeling my way round - it was taking for ever and a day to load in battles and the results - although that may be due to the fact that everyone and his wife was downloading from the server - I don't know if there is any sever interface with the single game.

Have no merchants: not sure how important they will be in the game and whether they can be assasinated so you can take over their resources.

Quote Originally Posted by weejonnie View Post
    I am also feeling my way round - it was taking for ever and a day to load in battles and the results - although that may be due to the fact that everyone and his wife was downloading from the server - I don't know if there is any sever interface with the single game.

Have no merchants: not sure how important they will be in the game and whether they can be assasinated so you can take over their resources.
    What are your specs? Thats a system issue, not a server one. The load times are on the longer side for me too but not too long where its unbearable.

Also no clue about the merchants. I accidentally left them on for my Julii campaign and I dont really see any point to them but thats just me. Tbh I wish I turned them off if only to reduce agent spam. I also totally forgot that spies and assassins were different agents in this game so I was wondering why my spy couldnt kill people.

Also I lost my first battle today- got besieged by a full stack of Germanic spearmen. Thinking they were just normal spearmen I sallied out with my army of hastati and skirmishers, thinking they would be easy to beat. I forgot that the Germanic spearmen are actually pikemen, and I got whipped real good. Had to retreat to behind the walls and force a draw since my hastati got slaughtered. Thankfully I had another army nearby who could come in to autoresolve the battle and break the siege. Going to make a thread about this because Ive clearly forgotten how brutal pikes are in Rome 1 compared to Rome 2.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Also I would highly recommend that people download these two mods that change the loading screens and main menu to the original ones. Really makes it feel like RTW again so I think its a must. Just remember to activate them in the mod manager beforehand.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Game speed has been a significant issue RTW wise, so yeah, it's how the game was initially. Way too fast. Soldiers are sprinters half the time.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Probably not a popular opinion these days in regards to Total War titles and their current state, but I have always preferred a slower gameplay. Battles that end within 2 minutes are... meh. Still didn't get around to try out Rome remastered, hopefully will get around to it today.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Member Member Scholae Palatinae's Avatar

I for it, prefer quick resolves. I am Warcraft style player though so I like microing more than realistic, strategist simulation. One of the things why I love Rome Total War is the Arcade Mode.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scholae Palatinae View Post
    I for it, prefer quick resolves. I am Warcraft style player though so I like microing more than realistic, strategist simulation. One of the things why I love Rome Total War is the Arcade Mode.
    I have sunk hundreds of hours, more than I care to admit, in both Warcraft and Starcraft games, and I love them to this day. I just don't think that APM should be an issue in TW games. There is place and time for everything. But as I've said, tastes differ.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

If I recall correctly, Rome 2 had the same issue - phalanxes and spearmen are way too fast, and battles were toned down eventually.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

One of the greatest things about TW games for me is if I've done my bit right on the Campaign map I can literally just set my army up in pre-battle, click start & probably win with nothing more than a few full army moves & a couple of cavalry flanking charges.

Insert relevant Sun Tzu quote

Good to see modders getting some stuff done quickly
    Looks like parts of most recent RTR team & Roma Surrectum have teamed up to put out some kind of merged mod. When its out & looking like its approaching the quality of later RTR editions I'll buy Remastered.

I'm very excited about reports that the Battlefield AI can now withdraw when it judges itself outmatched, this was one of the key features of why Shogun & Medieval were so great.

Among my favourite TW moments involved Battlefield AI withdrawals:
    When I had a full Kensai army (on Huge that meant 32 soldiers) & a several thousand strong AI enemy stack thinking it had an easy battle at the Campaign map level (I believe it only counted soldiers but not quality), the Battlefield AI moved confidently forward but when they got close enough to see what my units were it took one look at them and withdrew

Another was against the emergent Golden Horde in Medieval, I had a strong pre-positioned force but it was still outnumbered at least 3:1 and I'd have been slaughtered if caught in the open.
    Fortunately the battle map had a just-right sized & located forest area so I setup my troops in a 3-sided defensive formation of spears in forest (massive bonus vs the Cav heavy Mongols) with missile units protected a couple of spare infantry covering the rear.
    The Horde came forward slowly, with cavalry scouting around poking at the various copses hunting for my force.
    Eventually finding my spot they poked in from several angles, backing off then moving around & probing from a different direction, each time taking light losses from missiles and falling back when they discovered a spearwall in trees.
    They did send in a couple of infantry units which were quickly sent scurrying & then the whole army withdrew with the AI realising that my position was unassailable.
    Only did a couple of hundred kills but only suffered tens of casualties & the withdrawal caused the Horde to split next turn enabling the parts to be quickly defeated in detail

On the other hand, the problem with Battlefield AI withdrawing is that with the Rome style Campaign map they may not have enough movement points to withdraw to safety like you could with the Risk style map.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Members thankful for this post (2):

IGN's review over RTW Remastered.

Proud

Been to:

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Btw, should this forum be called now "Rome Total War & TW Rome Remastered"?

Thats a bit wordy, I always took RTW to encompass the game as a whole so I dont think theres a need to rename anything. Just my two cents.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

It might be just game derping out or perhaps the nights in Egypt are bright as day but I reseived the night battle achievments while fighting a battle during daytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Thats a bit wordy, I always took RTW to encompass the game as a whole so I dont think theres a need to rename anything. Just my two cents.
    You might be right.

All of this Remastered talk makes me hungry for some old school RTW action, maybe with some mods too.

Proud

Been to:

Blog Entries

Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    All of this Remastered talk makes me hungry for some old school RTW action, maybe with some mods too.
    Yeah I've been really enjoying re-acquainting myself with the mods/updating & getting some of my old favourites to work.
    I now have functional/most recent versions of:
    RTR 6
    RTR PE 1.9
    RTR ExRM (based on PE 1.9)
    RTR VII TIC, FoE & main RTR VII

No RTR8 since I don't have Alexander.
    Should really check the state of EB & try out stuff like RS.
    Even within just this RTR scope there is a huge variety of gameplay & some great quality.

I think my favourite remains RTR VII TIC.
    I'm a big fan of Hamilcar & the limited scope let the team put out a really tight, polished release.
    The units all look gorgeous & have strong historical basis, combat balance is really nice with long infantry slogs, elite units being particularly strong, powerful cav charges, missiles about right.
    It just feels so right playing the battles, while the tight timeline & scripted events keep you moving on the Campaign.

Blog Entries

So I don't know the real extent of the improvements they made to the AI but what ever they did has made the battle so much more enjoyable.
    Just the fact that AI withdraws when battles don't go their way or you outnumber them.
    For example, in my latest Julii campaign I attacked the Gaulish force outside Mediolanum to draw out enemy garrison.
    As I fought the main Gaulish force the garrison moved closer. They still had some distance to come but I was already winning against the main force.
    For a moment the garrison stopped and then started withdrawing. Far enough that I wouldn't be able to catch them. In the origianal game the reinforcements would've attacked me no matter what.
    Also, one of the warband units from the main force charged my units while the other remaining decided to withdraw. It looked like the enemy is willing to sacrifice it's unit(s) to save the others.
    Now, I'm not sure about the sacrificing units part. It also could've been a just a coincidence but I've seen similar behaviour in my Seleucid campaign.
    Anyway, have enjoyed every minute of this game so far(except when I crashed couple of times)!

Anyone else have had AI behave differently from the og Rome?

Yup, the battle AI does seem to act slightly better when it comes to sensing when the battle is lost or not and will try to preserve their forces. The campaign AI is also better, with them being far more aggressive and smarter about when to pull back. I started a game as Spain since I heard they are interesting, and I had the Gauls come and attack a settlement with a very strong force. I managed to fight them to a draw while sending reinforcements. When the reinforcements were a turn away the Gauls withdrew back to their territory. I dont recall ever seeing the original AI do that.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by hoom View Post
    Should really check the state of EB & try out stuff like RS.
    It seems the state of EB is: EBII is the way to go.
    I've now got EBII 2.35A R2 up & running.
    Last I checked in on it was one of the first public releases, was pretty rough back then.
    Its looking very mature & high quality now

A bit of an overreaction over at TWC, a lot of negative comments about the game particularly about the UI.

Mobile UI style is a big problem for a lot of players it seems, it's the main gripe.

Blog Entries

I've played 40 hours of the Remastered and I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be.

It took me about 5ish hours to really feel comfortable with it but now it feels fine. Have no trouble with it.

Perhaps Feral could make the old UI toggle for those who want it?

Or just wait until some modders recreate the old UI. They've already managed to make a hotseat mod so..

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    I've played 40 hours of the Remastered and I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be.

It took me about 5ish hours to really feel comfortable with it but now it feels fine. Have no trouble with it.

Perhaps Feral could make the old UI toggle for those who want it?

Or just wait until some modders recreate the old UI. They've already managed to make a hotseat mod so..
    Agree. New UI is no big deal once you get the hang of it.
    Places I've lived/visited:

Original Join Date = 08-08-01

Blog Entries

Although you might know all there is to know about RTW it doesn't hurt to refresh your memory..

Places I've lived/visited:

Original Join Date = 08-08-01

Blog Entries

Btw, if anyone is looking their save game files they are in AppData > Local > Feral Interactive > Total War ROME REMASTERED > VFS > Local > Rome > saves

Took me some time to figure out where they are... longer than I'd like to admit

Very surprising to see the rather low playing stats... just 10K peak players, those are some low sales.

That is bad news, would probably discourage a M2TW remake as well.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Really shouldn't surprise anyone
    Stock RTW was pretty shit.
    Buggy as heck & really poor historicity.

I played nearly none of base RTW before deciding it could only be saved by the mods which were starting to crop up.
    I only ever purchased BI because it was needed for some mods & have only actually opened the base BI when I've not installed a mod properly/messed up the shortcut.

Rome 2 despite various issues is a far far superior remaster than this could ever be & I actually have mostly not even felt the need to run mods.

My entire interest in this remaster is for if/when someone ports in some of the better RTW mods.
    But even then having meantime managed to get them up & running on the base game I'm not feeling any huge urgency for Remastered mods.
    Last edited by hoom; 05-11-2021 at 09:10.

Member Member Scholae Palatinae's Avatar

I'm not gonna play the Remaster until release of some mod which changes campaign map to look darker and grimmer like the original or better. I'm not able to play seeing this vomitable browser game style graphics.
    Battle maps also look more colorful, even the Teutoburg Forest.

I liked the atmosphere in old version more. I don't regret buying the Remaster though. I'm waiting for Medieval 2 remaster and Warhammer 3 now.
    Last edited by Scholae Palatinae; 05-11-2021 at 16:06.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast