Thread: Europa Barbarorum for Rome Total War - Remastered

Lightbulb Europa Barbarorum for Rome Total War - Remastered

Hey everyone,

like everyone else, I am f**king hyped about Rome Total War - Remastered. Basically my first game I ever played or more like watched my dad play it because I wasn't old enough ;)

Anyway, I know there is/was a big modding community behind RTW especially with EB. I don't know if the original developers of the mod have planned anything for the remastered version but I (and probably the whole community) would really love to see a remastered EU version.

I wanted to offer my help with any coding/voicing etc. As far as I'm aware though there are mostly designers required for modeling the units.
    Maybe we can use this thread for everyone that would like to help with the project and maybe one of the "old" developers can assign some tasks if necessary.
    I'm sure there is lots to do.

I really hope we manage to find some people to help with this project! So anyone willing to help, write a comment down below!

Members thankful for this post (3):

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum for Rome Total War - Remastered

Quote Originally Posted by mingaflo View Post
    Hey everyone,

like everyone else, I am f**king hyped about Rome Total War - Remastered. Basically my first game I ever played or more like watched my dad play it because I wasn't old enough ;)

Anyway, I know there is/was a big modding community behind RTW especially with EB. I don't know if the original developers of the mod have planned anything for the remastered version but I (and probably the whole community) would really love to see a remastered EU version.

I wanted to offer my help with any coding/voicing etc. As far as I'm aware though there are mostly designers required for modeling the units.
    Maybe we can use this thread for everyone that would like to help with the project and maybe one of the "old" developers can assign some tasks if necessary.

I really hope we manage to find some people to help with this project! So anyone willing to help, write a comment down below!
    We will not port EB to Rome Remastered but if you want, you can help us with the development of Europa Barbarorum II.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trarco View Post
    We will not port EB to Rome Remastered but if you want, you can help us with the development of Europa Barbarorum II.
    Why not tho?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianus V View Post
    Why not tho?
    Well If I had to guess, the team has been working on EB2 for something like a decade, so giving it up now would be silly.

That being said, there are certain things that MTW2 lacks that I think makes EB2 a bit less enjoyable, things like the lack of testudos and other relatively minor things so I certainly do have high hopes that a historically-focused mod will emerge that is on par with EB1. Time will tell.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Well If I had to guess, the team has been working on EB2 for something like a decade, so giving it up now would be silly.

That being said, there are certain things that MTW2 lacks that I think makes EB2 a bit less enjoyable, things like the lack of testudos and other relatively minor things so I certainly do have high hopes that a historically-focused mod will emerge that is on par with EB1. Time will tell.
    yes, i liked Rome's population system.

There are still a lot of unknowns, but I think it would be a missed opportunity to put no effort toward porting EB I to the Remaster. EB I might be superseded by EB II but it's still fondly remembered by many (including me), and those who have been put off RTW due to its age and lack of support might try it. New players won't learn about EB if it isn't playable on the Remaster, sadly. If there will be no official effort made, I'd hope for a group willing to give EB I a new coat of paint rather than try and reinvent the wheel. I am sure I'm not alone in considering the Remaster solely because of EB.
    Last edited by Seer7; 04-28-2021 at 14:27. Reason: wording

Quote Originally Posted by mingaflo View Post
    Hey everyone,

It doesn't make much sense for the actual creators of EB to do this when it would make significantly more sense for fans of EB to begin porting it into the remastered version. All you would need to do is take the already created game format as well as the sound files then update the graphics and rewrite it all so it fits the new version of Rome total war. A lot more work than it sounds however the hard work is done like historical research, game design, voice acting, music editing... The main thing we would need is actual programmers to write code and graphic designers to create the newer graphics from the base games.

Ah, damn :(
    For me this is THE mod for Rome TW, I was hoping for a project in this direction.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJC View Post
    Ah, damn :(
    For me this is THE mod for Rome TW, I was hoping for a project in this direction.
    Well, the way I see it, the team as a whole is right. Bear in mind the team's got its hands full with EBII. And anyway: At most a port is needed, and this can be done by a small, dedicated team of modders re-exporting the materials. This can conceivably be done by the fans, should they so choose. A tool is already provided--the IWTE tool--which you can get on the relevant Discord page (and IIRC the TWcenter).

It's straightforward enough that I've been populating a version of my own mod (For the Seven Years War) to Remastered (which confused a few people, who though I was ditching the original before finishing it: a lot of people I know who play my mod (for reasons that stump me) won't get the Remaster, due to what news has come of it).
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 05-09-2021 at 04:17.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Keep in mind that the Show Me How button has been removed from the UI in Remastered, so the EB background script as it stands cannot be ported...yet. Word on the grapevine is that Feral is working on an alternative way to script. Time will tell.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Seer7 View Post
    There are still a lot of unknowns, but I think it would be a missed opportunity to put no effort toward porting EB I to the Remaster. EB I might be superseded by EB II but it's still fondly remembered by many (including me), and those who have been put off RTW due to its age and lack of support might try it. New players won't learn about EB if it isn't playable on the Remaster, sadly. If there will be no official effort made, I'd hope for a group willing to give EB I a new coat of paint rather than try and reinvent the wheel. I am sure I'm not alone in considering the Remaster solely because of EB.
    EB1 was epic. The best strategy war game ever, IMHO. I'd die for a Rome Remastered port of EB1.

On the other hand, by the time they'd finish porting EB1 to TW:RR, Medieval 2 will have been remastered :P

Anyone seen this or know anything about it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1mW5iqrPg

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moriluk View Post
    Anyone seen this or know anything about it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1mW5iqrPg
    It's probably the unofficial port of EB1.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2637753606

Seems to me that the "unofficial port" of EB for RTW:R says quite plainly that it can be done. And that it was done so quickly, that it's not as difficult as some want to make it out to be.

Seems to me that there is no reason for the EB team to not cherry pick a few modders they trust, lay some ground rules re: content of finished product, and create an official EB port for RTW:R.

Many of us are going to play EB for RTW:R. official would be better, but if the "because we don't want to" keeps on keeping on from the EB team, then it's gonna just have to be the unofficial.

The EB team's choice to make.

2.0.4 patch.

If the info in this vid is true, then a whole lot of problems went away.

MASSIVE NEW UPDATE FOR ROME REMASTERED CHANGES EVERYTHING! - Total War News
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbRxlqofK2E

Faction cap raised to unlimited.
    Region cap raised to unlimited.
    Custom scripting enabled.
    And a lot more.

It's not like it's a re-creation of the mod from the ground up, with all the research, decision making, choosing which faction and why, etc, so on and so forth, has to be done all over again. All that's necessary is porting what exists in EB1 to RTW:R and making it available by the Workshop.

And, it's already been done. But, wouldn't we all rather it be an official release?

Put out the call. Pick some modders that have the skill for porting and that want their names as helpers on the project, and issue the orders to "go forth and get it done".

Does anyone know what current "Rome Total War" selection in the Steam library you can install EB1 on? I need to make a new account for a student and was going to purchase RTW (which has been cheap in the past), *but* I can't tell which one to buy and put EB1 on? Is the only option the Rome Total War Collection? (which is not even purchaseable now)?