Thread: Invitation to the Mafia Championship

Redshirt Member Smack the Rabbit Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Gunman Champion, Fly Sui Champion, The Streaker Champion, Ninja Turtles 1 Champion, Speedy Thief Champion, War In Iraq Champion, Yankee Go Home Champion Logic's Avatar

Default Invitation to the Mafia Championship

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 8)

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 8 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 320+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Lissa as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 150 communities this season. If there is further interest, additional communities may sign up as substitutes; generally there are some replacements needed both before and during games.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is May 7th, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
    • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
    • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
    • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500-600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

2. SEASON 8 FORMAT

The tournament structure
    • 150 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
    • QUALIFIERS: 10 Qualifier Games will be played, consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifier Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st and 2nd place will advance to the Semifinal Games.
    • SEMIFINALS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 7 will select 25 additional players to advance to the three Semifinal Games. From each game, five players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
    • THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 8 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.

This year’s setup: Gold Rush 15er
    The setup features 15 roles consisting of the following:

2x Mafia Goons
    1x Mafia Roleblocker

1x Town Motion Detector
    1x 1-Shot Town Vigilante (n2+)
    1x Town Doctor
    9x Vanilla Townie

Flips are alignment only.

Relevant mechanics info
    - Day start.
    - Majority elimination is enabled Day 2+, but majority is not required at any point for the elimination.
    - Tied votes will result in a player being eliminated at random from among the tied players.
    - No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
    - Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize your representative into a game with deadlines that suit their preferences).
    - Thread is locked during Night Phases.
    - Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
    - Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, roleblocked, etc. (In this setup, that means they display as an action to the Motion Detector action.)
    - Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction. The mafia faction kill is mandatory.
    - Mafia may communicate at any time.
    - Each individual player may make a maximum of 150 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 2 hours before day end).
    - The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals alignments automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

3. SEASON 8 TIMELINE

There will be 10 Qualifier Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates ranging from early May to early July. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

The Semifinal Games will be played in July/August, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with the event organizer ASAP, you can find Lissa on Discord (Lissa#8083).

For yours truly, it's Spacecamp-Logic-Yako#4514

Kind regards,
    The Mafia Universe Staff
    Aliases Yakostovian

Default Re: Invitation to the Mafia Championship

Zack, GH, Visor, Csargo.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

Csargo 

Monty, csargo, raskol, sunbae, cuth, pzelda

?

Csargo 

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I'm fine with anyone who wants to be the rep, as long as it isn't me
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

I think I'm still at 'never again Champs' though.
    Vitiate Man.

Redshirt Member Smack the Rabbit Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Gunman Champion, Fly Sui Champion, The Streaker Champion, Ninja Turtles 1 Champion, Speedy Thief Champion, War In Iraq Champion, Yankee Go Home Champion Logic's Avatar

Unless I'm mistaken, Visor has already declined CFC, and MU nominations. That being said, I'd vote for him representing the Org.

Please forgive me while I go to CFC and see who else has been nominated.
    Aliases Yakostovian

@Cuthillius @pzelda @Raskolnikov @Sunbae @Logic

any of you guys want to play?

I'd rather it go to someone that has actually played here in the last year.

But if everyone else declines, I'd be happy to rep The Org.
    Aliases Yakostovian

I support pretty much anyone who wants to do it, all the names mentioned so far seem good.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Zack, GH, Visor, Csargo.
    I decline

I vote Visor!

I'm seconding Visor.

It looks like I might rep rmn after all as no one else so far has shown interest.

im declining ofc.

logic, you've played on the org for years, you're a fine choice.

also you have played this year, you subbed in for dolby

Quote Originally Posted by Visor View Post
    also you have played this year, you subbed in for dolby
    For a whole hour.

I second Logic.
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Visor View Post
    If I wanted to get chopped d1 while everyone calls me an idiot, I'd go play at GitP.

Members thankful for this post (6):

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Hughes View Post
    get chopped d1 while everyone calls me an idiot

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I'd rather it go to someone that has actually played here in the last year.

But if everyone else declines, I'd be happy to rep The Org.

Ok, to finalize things for the MU event planners, am definitely repping the Org?
    Aliases Yakostovian

Members thankful for this post (4):

Members thankful for this post (3):

LogicVisorZack 

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Ok, to finalize things for the MU event planners, am definitely repping the Org?
    yep go for it

In discussions on Discord I have been mentioned as a possible backup for Logic. I have played here, and to everyone's surprise I have been a member of TheOrg longer than most people so I think I can represent, if no one has any objections...but I don't want to carpetbag anyone.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Hi there!!

Logic's game has just started, get hyped!!!!

GAME 7: JUNE 14, 48/24, 9PM EDT
    Ampharos (Smogon)
    Bex (Werewolves Anonymous)
    BobMcBob (webDiplomacy)
    Box (Wolvesville)
    Bunnelby (Mafia Games Discord)
    CaptainGrimlock (Paradox Interactive (Paradox Plaza))
    Chilly (Devil's Nest)
    Glissa (Paranoia Paradise)
    Logic (The Org)
    ponchi (Rabbit Doubt Gaming)
    Powerturtle (Forums of Loathing)
    Psycho666Soldier (The Center)
    stoutfish (Bread and Roses)
    tabitha (LA Gaming Circle)
    Thunal33 (Mafia Cafe (formerly PerC))

You can follow it here: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...a-Championship

Do you wish to spectate and/or talk with players from other communities?
    We have a big server on Discord (1,500+ members) for those that want to spectate and talk about these games. The representatives will be added to this channel too after they die. Or if you just want to chat with people from other communities, we have a general chat too that is unrelated to the Mafia Championship.

1) CLICK HERE TO JOIN: https://discord.gg/3BtbmnR

2) Upon joining the server, please inform us of who you are and which community you are from. We will then give you the necessary permissions to see the spectator channel. This is necessary to avoid the wrong people (the representatives and their backups) joining the channel. You don't need to have Discord installed in order to join the channel, as there is a web version.

Do you want to have your own private community spectator chat?
    This is definitely both allowed and encouraged. However, I ask that you please do everything possible to make this chat private and inaccessible to your representative, backup and your representative's opponents. It's important that your thoughts and comments don't influence the game. In other words, please don't post about the game in public threads -- this is very important.

Feel free to contact me at Arapocalypse#0834 if you have any questions!!!

Members thankful for this post (3):