Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: MTW - Gold Edition (Steam) on Win10

  1. #1
    Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fortress of the Mountains
    Posts
    11,305

    Default MTW - Gold Edition (Steam) on Win10

    Before anyone will ask, because I've seen questions - yes, Medieval Total War works on Windows 10 with Steam.

    Now here's the problem part for me. I've just noticed that I only played the Steam version only on Win 7 and Win 8, not on Windows 10. I've installed now on Win10 and surprise surprise - it looks sharp, but it's not fullscreen. I tried fiddling with the options but nothing works, I cannot get the game to run fullscreen at all.

    Any ideas / tips?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

    Proud

    Been to:

    Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

    A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

  2. #2
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: MTW - Gold Edition (Steam) on Win10

    Have you tried setting identical screen resolution for the game and for the computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

  3. #3
    Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fortress of the Mountains
    Posts
    11,305

    Default Re: MTW - Gold Edition (Steam) on Win10

    I did, except my computer leaves 2 huge black bars on the sides - instead of making sure it goes fullscreen, it just makes it centered.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

    Proud

    Been to:

    Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

    A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

  4. #4

    Default Re: MTW - Gold Edition (Steam) on Win10

    Does anyone know if Medieval Total War steam version runs okay on Windows 7? I am having crash to main menu issues after successfully running the game since it was released and I can't tweak my two XP computers to get it working again. Have no idea why it started crashing back to the main menu but I give up.


    If anyone knows for sure if the steam version (which I believe I read has been re-programmed to run on newer OS and machines) will work in Windows 7 on a series 6 laptop, please let me know.

    Otherwise, i guess I can download it to my wife's Win 10 all in one but I would prefer not to.

  5. #5
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: MTW - Gold Edition (Steam) on Win10

    Quote Originally Posted by MarshaldeSaxe View Post
    Does anyone know if Medieval Total War steam version runs okay on Windows 7? I am having crash to main menu issues after successfully running the game since it was released and I can't tweak my two XP computers to get it working again. Have no idea why it started crashing back to the main menu but I give up.


    If anyone knows for sure if the steam version (which I believe I read has been re-programmed to run on newer OS and machines) will work in Windows 7 on a series 6 laptop, please let me know.

    Otherwise, i guess I can download it to my wife's Win 10 all in one but I would prefer not to.
    Have you tried bringing the game resolution and the computer screen resolution in harmony?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

  6. #6
    Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Zen Garden
    Posts
    2,728

    Default Re: MTW - Gold Edition (Steam) on Win10

    The laptop I'm playing Steam's MTW gold on is still running Windows 7. Runs fine, but I don't play the 3D battles these days, I just play it like a board game and auto-resolve.

    I've found that running it in offline mode and manually killing Steam after launching MTW improves performance. I've even made changes to its files so I can play Russians in Early and it's working well.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism


    misc kanryodo

  7. #7

    Default Re: MTW - Gold Edition (Steam) on Win10

    Gilrandir, I did bring them into harmony, I think I remember doing it, but I am old so I will do it again, but the thing is, I merely moved the desktop from one room to another and the game started reverting back to the main menu every time I picked a faction and pressed the key to start the game.

    Togakure, I don't understand the tech terminology. I don't know anything about running a Steam game offline and what that means. I have read posts about that method but having no knowledge of how Steam works I simply wouldn't know. However, I am intrigued--you say you run it on a laptop in Win 7, but you only auto-resolve battles. Is it necessary to auto-resolve for the game to run properly, or can one run it fully functional with all capabilities once one downloads it from Steam?

    I don't know what playing like a board game means. I was never interested in strategy board games, (though I have played with military miniatures for most of my childhood and early adolescence. I even casted them in lead with molds but my painting was poor.)

  8. #8

    Cool Re: MTW - Gold Edition (Steam) on Win10

    I have no idea why my avatar says I joined this year. I have been a member of the Total War forums for decades. Just saying....

  9. #9

    Default Re: MTW - Gold Edition (Steam) on Win10

    Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    I did, except my computer leaves 2 huge black bars on the sides - instead of making sure it goes fullscreen, it just makes it centered.
    You know, I have the same problem with Patrician III. It runs on my widescreen connected to a windows 7 desktop ut on my 17 inch laptop running Windows 7 it will not run full screen, no matter what I try. I think it is 16 bit though....

  10. #10
    Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fortress of the Mountains
    Posts
    11,305

    Default Re: MTW - Gold Edition (Steam) on Win10

    Quote Originally Posted by MarshaldeSaxe View Post
    I have no idea why my avatar says I joined this year. I have been a member of the Total War forums for decades. Just saying....
    Official forums? It's a bit different compared to the official forums, since this is TW Org.

    As for Windows 7, it worked without any problem for me.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

    Proud

    Been to:

    Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

    A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

  11. #11
    Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Zen Garden
    Posts
    2,728

    Default Re: MTW - Gold Edition (Steam) on Win10

    Quote Originally Posted by MarshaldeSaxe View Post
    ...
    Togakure, I don't understand the tech terminology. I don't know anything about running a Steam game offline and what that means. I have read posts about that method but having no knowledge of how Steam works I simply wouldn't know. However, I am intrigued--you say you run it on a laptop in Win 7, but you only auto-resolve battles. Is it necessary to auto-resolve for the game to run properly, or can one run it fully functional with all capabilities once one downloads it from Steam?

    I don't know what playing like a board game means. I was never interested in strategy board games, (though I have played with military miniatures for most of my childhood and early adolescence. I even casted them bein lead with molds but my painting was poor.)
    I can play the 3D battles if I want, I just choose to auto-resolve most of the time as I tend to be focused on the strategic elements of the game these days. Because I don't go into the 3D view, I don't encounter a lot of potential graphical issues others might when playing on Windows 7.

    Most who get games from Steam launch them from the Steam interface when they play, with Steam running in the background. Offline mode is a function that allows you to play a Steam game without being online. MTW runs better without Steam; it existed before Steam. I prefer to run games without Steam active in the background if possible.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism


    misc kanryodo

  12. #12

    Default Re: MTW - Gold Edition (Steam) on Win10

    Thank you for informing me about running a Steam game offline.

    I tried to set the resolution for both the strategy and battle maps to the same settings, using three different settings. One choice was immediately rejected by the system, and neither of the other two made much difference except one displayed sideways. I even tried fullscreen changed to widescreen (for my widescreen monitor) but that didn't make any difference.

    I reach therefore only one final conclusion after numerous attempts to figure out why the game suddenly blows out to the main menu just after I move the computer to a different room: Satan. It must be Satan who caused this to happen.

    The reason I have avoided Steam entirely since it started is that I object to not actually having physical possession of a CD, booklet and whatever else used to come in game boxes. I don't want to lease the right to use a game, I want to physically own it. If my computer blows up, what am I supposed to do, download everything again? I want to load and delete any and all games I own anytime I want on whatever computers I want them. Perhaps though the real reason is that at my advanced age, I do not want to be forced to do something I don't think is that efficient. Downloading Steam and then games takes a long time on a so-so internet connection in northeastern Connecticut. I know, I know, someone is thinking I could be backing them up but who is obsessive-compulsive enough to do that routinely?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO