Thread: Making the Wiki Relevant

there's a cat in the mech Member Twilight Esker's Avatar

Default Making the Wiki Relevant

Not to come off too badly as an apparent upstart from nowhere, but I think it's fair to say the Org wiki has a problem.

I boil it to three things that permanently drop its appeal at a glance:
    1. It is visually 'default'. No character, not in the way the forum has. Compare to Total War Center; the wiki visually compliments the forum. This overlap can be found many places, not this one. I consider it a top issue despite the age old maxim, graphics are not everything.
    2. Content is unorganized and I would say, unsophisticated. No driving structure to it, just the brief initiative of contributors 'from the time'. This is to say the very presentation at a text level needs work, not just that the content is incredibly incomplete.
    3. The login connection is nifty; the inability to edit after the connection is made, not so much.

There's a minor, but notable +1,
    4. The MediaWiki version has fallen badly out of date. Not a huge deal and still usable, but if moves are made it is an easy step forward (in comparison to the forum). Perhaps even easier given the state of content as it is.

As I noted in the private messages that started this, I do have a conflict of interest because I'm working with the TWC Wiki and that is where a majority of my contributing interest is going at the moment. But I am not especially picky in a wish to see 'the older sites' move forward. So were I to involve in this I would have a pretty focused drive; technical stability, a layout to expand from, and completeness on data to intersect the wiki and the forum. So, laying groundwork and suggested policy for Total War offerings, with true page-to-page work being the intersect with Org matters. If nothing else the Wiki can do an excellent job presenting org-related information, such as the key .Org mods and a breakdown of site features. Purpose, even if it may never quite match up with its competitors in scale (unless it manages multiple regular contributors + a steady flow of outsiders, might be a bit much to expect now...).

It's a connection I believe is worth exploring, both for my own edification and the Org's benefit. Before getting in pure technical, I present this as a premise to begin from.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Making the Wiki Relevant

If I remember correctly, the ability to edit was lost when we updated the vBulletin software a few years back. Either the login didn't mesh with the new software, or the wiki no longer played nicely, can't remember the actual problem, but it never got resolved.

The last big push to add content to the wiki was around the release of Shogun 2, we tried to organize the M2TW content and add in the Shogun2 data. Tosa was helping us out.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    If I remember correctly, the ability to edit was lost when we updated the vBulletin software a few years back. Either the login didn't mesh with the new software, or the wiki no longer played nicely, can't remember the actual problem, but it never got resolved.
    Edit should be restored now.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

Members thankful for this post (3):

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I was thinking perhaps we can add some more game guides into the Wiki and of course, we need a new page for every new game that was released since S2TW - Rome 2, Attila...
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

My 2 cents with regards to the wiki.

• If we plan on using it, it needs an update, and fast
    • articles (from Wikipedia, sourced?) about every game after S2TW
    • a whole subsection about mods
    • detailed subsection with some specific mods to highlight, like EB on TW Org
    • Frogbeastegg's guides as a Wiki page?
    • videos from content creators? Org creators?