Thread: Troy TW - Impressions Thread

Default Troy TW - Impressions Thread

Maybe this place needs a Troy TW impressions thread, particularly since Troy will soon come over to Steam for purchase. I've played only a bit of Troy TW, for full disclosure, and there's some advantages and not so ideal details.

First off... the graphics, and especially the artwork, is unbeatable. The artwork team has done an incredible job and they managed to get down the fine details of the mythology part quite well in terms of graphics and design. I am not exaggerating - the menu and campaign map is a joy to look at, the fine details too, building icons as well. Not a fan of the unit icons, quite simplistic, but the rest has been done quite lavish and it's just so nice to look at. The game is visually splendid.

This is especially true when you compare it with titles such as Attila TW. Yes, Attila had the gloomy feel because of the period, but the artwork team here is 12/10 top notch.

Look at the video below of the campaign map, skip through the first parts to see it. YouTube doesn't capture the visual spectacle but you get an idea.

However, that aside... the game feels simple. It's been simplified quite a lot, making it a bore to play sometimes. There's just a handful of main resources you need to watch out for and the mythological bonuses give you quite the boost to propel you forward in the campaign. It's clear the TW series is moving towards fantasy / mythology rather than historical but this is even simpler to play than Thrones of Britannia. It's excellent eye candy, sure, but it's not something that will appeal to historical fans.

Will add more as I play more of this. Share your own impressions below!

Members thankful for this post (2):

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: Troy TW - Impressions Thread

Do people still play this? What are the numbers?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

REX POLONIAE Moderator KLAssurbanipal's Avatar

Default Re: Troy TW - Impressions Thread

I will play it in next week. :)