Thread: NOTW-Style Mafia Game

Default NOTW-Style Mafia Game

Hello. I am intending to attempt to host (player numbers willing) a NOTW style (flavour/mechanical focused games) for at minimum 17 people.

I am intending this to be a proper Org style game, so when you sign up please do so under the expectation that this is not MU, you do not need to post 100 times a day (or even a day phase). I expect that this is a game the majority of people who play will be able to take easier than a regular game on MU (obviously this disclaimer does not apply to the regulars here).

The game will be 48/24, likely at 8pm American Eastern time. If I don't get minimum of 17 players, I will not run the game (it would be a waste of mechanics). If you know someone who would be a good fit for the culture here, by all means feel free to invite them. I would like to start this around the 6th of February, so about two weeks for signups.

I will begin to post mechanical posts both here and in a summary thread over the coming days, as to not flood the thread with information to absorb. It should not be an incredibly complex game but there will be bits and pieces to figure out.

If you have any questions, ask away.

Players:
    1. Sunbae
    2. Raskolnikov
    3. Limestone
    4. Montmorency
    5. Amrock
    6. Sleep
    7. Ladd
    8. noraplus
    18+

Subs:
    Last edited by Visor; 02-01-2022 at 01:14.

Default Re: NOTW-Style Mafia Game

Mechanics, etc. to come.

You're gonna have a bad time Member Sunbae's Avatar

In

My debt is paid

discount Visor Member Raskolnikov's Avatar

Sure, in!
    "Les plus désespérés sont les chants les plus beaux, et j'en sais d'immortels qui sont de purs sanglots." Alfred de Musset

/sub

/in

In.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I am new to mafia, plz go easy on me :(

Member thankful for this post:

I am in

we don't have enough informati Member Sleep's Avatar

/in

"Les plus désespérés sont les chants les plus beaux, et j'en sais d'immortels qui sont de purs sanglots." Alfred de Musset

Csargo 

Aight, I'm home now, so I'll get to sending out some invites and posting some more information on the setup.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    I have no desire to play tbh. I can sub if Visor needs one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

For those not accustomed to NOTW style games don't worry, its not too hard to grasp.

It plays like a regular werewolf game, with a few extra bells and whistles usually relating to mechanics and flavour. Here's an example role PM to give you an idea of what you might be able to expect. (Blue - claimable, Red - Unclaimable).

Hi Player Name,

1. You are the Lumberjack. 2. You supply your wood and craftsmanship to the local villages. It's a quiet and simple life, or at least it was until you got conscripted by the Bishop to keep the camp running smoothly for their journey. You resent the uprooting of your life but you'll make the best of your current position (and the pay increase) until the trip is done.

3. You are a member of the Townsfolk. Townsfolk are common people who help with the day to day running of the camp. They may not get the glory, but they are truly the unsung heroes of any successful expedition.

4. You are a member of the village (town). The good guys in this game.

5. Strength: 3

6. Abilities: Timber! - Once per game at night you may attack a player, with the potential to cause serious injury or death. [Requires Woodcutter's Axe].

7. Traits: Barkskin - The first injury you sustain has no effect.

8. Items: Woodcutter's Axe - Your trusty axe. Don't leave home without it.

9. Victory Condition: Eliminate all threats to the village.

10. Personal Goal: Personally attack or kill the Bishop. He's had it coming, living the high life while everyone else scrabbles to make it by. You'd love to show him the error of his ways.

1. This is your character name. You are free to claim this without issue, consequence is another story. This has no bearing on your alignment - all players good and evil will get neutral character names that get randed.

2. Your background information to help you understand your character. You cannot claim this.

3. Your faction. Your faction is what group of people your character belongs to. This has no bearing on your alignment (i.e someone of one faction is not more likely to be wolf than someone of another faction, wolves could all be in one faction or spread out, etc). You can claim this without issue.

4. Alignment. You can claim this.

5. Strength. You can claim this. Strength determines your physical prowess - in the past it has had victory implications but in this game, it is simply a mechanical concern. Higher strength generally better, though its not the be all and end of.

6. Abilities. These can be either Active (choose who/what/when/where/why), Activated (switch on/off) or Passive (automatically active/applied when necessary). You can claim the ability/paraphrase what it does, but do not claim the flavour name. (You can claim an ability requires an item.)

7. Traits. These are character quirks - they may take many forms from abilities, to flavour to who knows what else. Unclaimable.

8. Items. Claimable. Items are objects your character holds. These may come with many effects (or not). Upon death they may transfer to the killer, be put up for vote or disappear, depending on the manner of death.

9. Victory Condition. Claimable.

10. Personal Goal. These are a small additional objective your character wishes to achieve. These are often flavour related. You may claim this (though you may not want to).

A small note re claiming - while you can claim a lot, I've tried to make it all mostly alignment neutral. Claiming has its risks and consequences and you should prepare accordingly.

Some Victory Conditions are as follows:

The village/town wins when all threats to the village/town have been eliminated and at least one villager is alive.

The wolves/mafia win when it is not mechanically possible for them to lose.

Other Victory Conditions are not known.

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    I have no desire to play tbh. I can sub if Visor needs one.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Tempted, although I don't know if I'll be able to tbh.

/sub for now, chance I might in before the start date though.

alien shapeshifter Member Hally's Avatar

damm, really tempting

not an in (yet)

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Depending on the playerbase, I might play.

/subscription post
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

seems interesting/mechanical enuf that I may play

I'll check back in a bit before next weekend to see if I want to/if I am gonna have time (assuming you still need players)

actually guess i'll give the good example to the undecided

in

rand me wolf i dare you

(i still may out before next weekend depending on work/actually wanting to play; if i am still in by friday consider me confirmed)

/sub

pretty busy when feb starts but should cool off around mid-month I think

count me in

Sorry fellas, but its looking extremely unlikely that this will fill to the degree I am happy with. (lots of people offered to sub but not play so hopefully that turns around later).

I will have to postpone this to run it later in the year at a better time for players. That'll depend on my schedule but I'll see how it goes.

alien shapeshifter Member Hally's Avatar

rip

lmk when it runs please

<Insert Joke Here> Member Choxorn's Avatar

Sure, I'll join whenever you decide to run this, it's been too long since I've played a game like this.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Hally View Post
    rip

lmk when it runs please
    Same! Ping me on discord whenever.

Sorry, Visor.

Totally missed this.

I will absolutely be up for it.

But, aside from spamming music with Zander on pizza's discord, I'm barely online at all these days, so I'll probably need at least one reminder.