Thread: News in the Far East

Default News from the Far East

I hope he recovers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/j...shot-rcna37228
    Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe gravely injured in shooting

Abe, Japan?s longest-serving prime minister, was giving a speech in the city of Nara ahead of an election for the upper house of Parliament...
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 07-08-2022 at 05:43.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Default Re: News from the Far East

I don't know who this podcaster is, but his video explains some interesting points on Japanese politics. I have a book (John Toland's The Rising Sun) that explains Japan's chaotic political situation before WWII. It's mentioned in this interview.

Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 07-08-2022 at 22:12.

Member thankful for this post:

Csargo 

Our mainstream TV channel reported that the assassin was a fan of Che Guevara. Apparently, they mistook the culprit with Hideo Kojima, the famous video-game developer.

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

May he rest in peace.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Member thankful for this post:

Csargo 

While listening to a podcast detailing some of the far-right background we always heard about with Shinzo Abe - keyword "Nippon Kagi" - there was a telling factoid about Japanese sovereignty. According to the guest, Japanese military planes and helicopters are prohibited from flying low over Tokyo, yet American aviation does so regularly. Imagine UN black helicopters making routine overflight of the White House. Or, I guess similarly, Eurocopters over London?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Wooooo!!!

I think China is bluffing. Attacking her plane means war, and I doubt China wants that now.
    Wooooo!!!

Wooooo!!!

Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 08-04-2022 at 06:39.
    Wooooo!!!

Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 08-05-2022 at 10:44.
    Wooooo!!!

Wooooo!!!

Taiwan's top defense official was associated with Taiwan's missile defense program:

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world...rt/ar-AA10mO2R
    Amid China-Taiwan tensions, top Taiwanese defence official found dead in hotel room

Sat, August 6, 2022

Ou Yang Li-hsing, deputy head of Taiwan defence ministry's research and development unit, was found dead on Saturday morning in a hotel room in southern Taiwan, according to the official Central News Agency (CNA). According to CNA, authorities are looking into the cause of his death.

Ou Yang had assumed his post as the deputy head of the military-owned National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology early this year to supervise various missile production projects and was on a business trip, said CNA.

His death comes amidst tension between China and Taiwan following US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's visit to Taiwan.....
    This situation is escalating. Remember, the Russians claimed that they were training their army near the Ukrainian border before they invaded Ukraine. I hope China isn't thinking to do same thing with Taiwan.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 08-06-2022 at 09:03.
    Wooooo!!!