Thread: Almohad Anti-Cavalry

I was just wondering if there is ANY anti-cavalry (ie spear) unit for the Almohads? I've yet to find any. All their spear units just cave in at the sight of royal knights.

Anyone care to clue me in?
    Never trade blows with the enemy.

Use the javalin throwers(i forgot their name) in combo with urban militia, nubian spearmen, or cav. As long as the javalins are at high morale with weapon upgrades they do good damage.
    There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.

Moderate valor and/or defense boosted AUM's won't cave in at the sight of anything I'll put it this way, I would never charge my royal knights head on into a group of them, might as well just send them off to the glue factory and be done with it.

I'd use them to engage, ghulams or ghazis from the rear/flank

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

Muwahid Infantry.

Muwahid Foot soldiers and Nubian Spears are available to Almohads in Early Era. If Nubian's morale (base morale of 2) is not what you want, then use Muwahid (base morale of 4). These are good spear and anti-cav units. Your main "spearwall" should contain at least 3 or 4 Nubians.

There are a few things regarding usage of these units:
    1. Always charge back at cav charge. The initial charge of spears into cav will kill enough cav so your spears won't cave in.

2. Only charge when cav is coming near and you are facing cav. Keep cohesion. Don't pursue cav. Don't chase.

3. Use enough support rank. Nubian as support rank of 2. Resize the unit to at least 3 deep.

4. After initial charge, stop the spears and even ask it to hold ground. Move in other troops (Almohad Urban Militia for example) to kill off remain cav. If you are winning with spears alone, then put spears in Engage-at-will.

5. Don't let your archers fire into royal knights when spears engage with them. Although friendly fire is minimal, occasional friendly fire removes crucial morale and your spears may run whenever you need them to stand most.

Royal knights, although better than other knights in defense, are not as good as high-era knights (number of 20 only is a big handicap). So, expect your Almohads to have a lot of trouble with the High-era knights.

Don't overlook the camels as anti-cav unit. Although not always winning, camels do inflict penalties over horses.

Murabintins are good against armored royal knights due to armor piercing projectile. The trick is to order Murabintin to hold formation and not-firing automatically, and wait until the knights come close enough, then fire. meanwhile, the spears are just behind or on the side to charge into cav, giving time for Murabintin to get away.

The above is just anti-cav units. The following discuss about combination use of several units.

We talked about "hold-and-kill" tactic: spears hold cav, another unit move in to kill. AUM could be used for that, or Nubian hold, Muwahid kill combination. It could also be any other infantry: Ghazi with armor piercing for example.

The best combination is perhaps using saharan cav, ghulam cav or berber camels to kill held-down royal knights.

So, there is no real anti-cav unit, except your royal knights themselves. But spears defense line is fundamental in battle tactics. You should work toward seeing cav charging into spears, no matter how good the cavs are and how bad the spears are, as a mistake and must be able to exploit that mistake.

Annie
    AggonyJade of the Brotherhood of Aggony, [FF]ladyAn or [FF]Jade of the Freedom Fighters

Ah...good, nubian spearmen appear to be able to take them. I didn't have a spearmaker in any of the relevant provinces to build them.

Cheers for your help fellows
    Never trade blows with the enemy.

When you decide to build to raise Ghulam Cavalry {the 40 horse unit somewhat less potent per individual than Ghulam Bodyguards} be sure to build a Master Horse Breeder {a Master Spear will Probebly be worth building later on , but the Master Horse Breeder can be had built reguardless of the leval of Castle} there as that will give your Ghulams +1 valour {+1 melee , +1 defense and +2 Honour/Moral} .
    A good idea is to take the Spanish Provinces {and Aragon} and get a metalsmith going . Ghulams with +1 Valour , Black Swords {icon for the +1 melee from a Metalsmith} and Bronse sheilds {+2 armour bonus from an Armourers Workshop} are superiour in real terms to Feudal Knights {which are basically 40 man units of Early Royal Knights requiring an Armourers Workshop thus recieving +2 Armour when built} .
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .