Thread: Victoria 3

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Default Victoria 3

Anyone else been playing this? Certainly, am enjoying it, much more polished game and better economics happening than in Vic 1 and 2. Steep learning curve and still working hard to not tank my economies!

I'm usually playing as a minor power as I learn the mechanics so right now Greece or Denmark usually.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Default Re: Victoria 3

After having done a few playthroughs here's my thoughts:
    1. The economic system: (the core of the game) is awesome, they did a fantastic job developing this.
    2. Technology: good system though it advances a bit too quickly from research.
    3. Military: The decentralized system for conducting attacks/defenses is okay and good in concept. In execution though, you can't control the points on a 'front' which the Generals attack or really guide the campaigns much. Also, the lack of armies marching across the screen a big letdown as was looking forward to seeing the change of 'uniforms' from the post-Napoleonic to modern 20th drab styles.
    4. Diplomacy: overall a good system, much improved from Vic 1 and Vic 2.

Overall, it's a great game if you enjoyed the earlier releases of the series. The only knocks right now are really the military system and I think the 'sandbox' play needs a few scripted historical events to turn on. Mexican American war doesn't seem to take off. Austria never fights Italy or France over Lombardy/Venice, the Opium wars never kick off nor the rush for Africa. The world at end point in 1936 looks way to similar to the start point in 1836. Also, as a single player mode only type person, I tend to be the only nation really industrializing. By the 1930s I seem to be the only nation with modern armies and navies fighting a bunch of 18th century countries around me.
    However, the economics inside the game work very well and don't need an outside mod to really make functional.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.