Thread: Peasants

Is there a way to remove peasants and/or other units from the game?
    For he today that shed his blood with me, shall be my brother ...

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Wiz:

Is there a way to remove peasants and/or other units from the game?

Put them out in front of your formation when your opponent has a bunch of longbowmen or arbalesters.

Just kidding.

Why remove peasants? Are you a classist? Does the AI build too many for your taste and make the game 'easy'?

IMHO, peasants were a major factor in history, and therefore are appropriate for a game that recreates (more or less) history.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

i enjoy sending peseants on suicide attacks against an enemies main army, but i will never forget the day i scared an Almohad King off the field with 17 peseants and 5 Feudal-Man-at-Arms. i needed to scout out the area so my main force could launch the attack. by the time my peseants apeared on the other side of the Sand storm the Egyptian army was on High ground. and as soon as my peseants took one step toward them the Almos routed(thats right they raised the white flag and ran) lol i could stop laughing at the cowardly King. And the next year he returned with an army of 1000 peseants. i think he needs a needs a new strategist .

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

i like peasants as well , they can die in so many different and hillarious ways . I even managed to use them succesfully once by charging the rear of the enemy....never happened again
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Fighting peasants is the most fun. I invaded pomerania the other day that had 10000 peasants. I invaded with a variety of heavy infantry (catholic)...top of the line stuff. When the battle was over I killed 8000 captured 1000 and lost about 1200. It was fun
    Silence is beautiful

So i guess i am the only one that dont like peasants

They are peasants, i want them to sit in their houses, work hard for me but leave the fighting to my elite troops

you can remove any unit you dont like be editing the crusaders_unit_prod11 file in the main medieval-total war directory
    When war is declared, Truth is the first casualty

Thanks, i searched the file but in many places there is the word peasant. I just couldnt be sure which one do remove.

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

hehe.. love to kill pessies
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Personally, I don't use them for anything other than garrisons in those unruly territories well away from the front line of battle (Portugal, Scotland, Prussia...)
    But I would never want to remove them from the game altogether, coz as others have mentioned here, it's not only great fun to whip them bloodily from the field of battle, but they tend to give large honour bonuses to the troops that slaughter them in their thousands

What I've done is remove peasants (and urban militia) as buildeble units ,that way the computer doesn't kill his own
    economy by building these crappy units thus making the AI's army more interesting .If you only remove the building req (castle) they still appear in peasant revolt and other rebel scum , so don't worry you still have tons of the unwashed to ride over with your noble and courages knights

Blah and assorted comments Member Foreign Devil's Avatar

If the AI doesn't have access to peasants, what is the composition of their armies? They always seem to have several units of peasants/militia.

I am currently in the process of modding the game to do just this -- replace peasants by spearmen. One could also give the peasants the same statistics as spearmen, so they'd be tougher. I build them solely for controlling provinces, never use them in battle. The AI builds way too many of them and by the high period it's ridiculous to march into a province spoiling for a fight -- and face an AI army with a few royal knights and the rest peasants and militia sergeants

The main reason the AI builds them so much is that:
    1. They are cheap and the AI is usually at close_to_support_limit (as it's AI personality).
    2. The AI insists on building units in virtually every province it captures, unlike the player, who usually builds units only in his best provinces, so that he gets the best army for his money.

If you want to delete them, just eliminate the line in the crusader_unit_prod11 file that contains the AI build probability for them. Modify the spearmen entry to have the same AI build probabilities as the peasants had and modify the costs. Use Lord Gnome's editor, downloadable from the site for this, it's WAY easier and will save you a LOT of grief and having to track down syntax errors and figuring out "why the hell didn't the campaign show up in the list THIS time?? or where the hell is that spelling error???"
    Yours was not at first a criminal nature. At 10 you stole sugar,at 15 you stole money,at 25 you committed arson. At 30,hardened in crime,you became an editor. Worse yet is in store for you. You will be sent to Congress,then to the penitentiary. But,all will be well. You will be hanged.
    -Mark Twain

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Well, I'm not for removing them, just removing them as troops to be trained by the AI. It is fair that they pop up in rebellions and Crusades. But which noble commander would send his working peasants out into battle without any training at all? I mean they could be at home making money for him. But at times they would rise up themselves.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If the AI doesn't have access to peasants, what is the composition of their armies? They always seem to have several units of peasants/militia.
    Well I believe it slightly the melee/missle ratio.
    the AI fields a lot of missle units now ,altough their armies are now a lot tougher since they also replace them
    with militia sergeants and feudal maa. The AI will always build low tech it can't be helped .But removing the peasants is a defenite improvement IMO.

as for the archer problem I might allow the urban militia
    back provided that he undergoes some alterations to become
    a unit that is actually of any use in combat .But I fear that the computer will simply go beserk on them so I guess the're out or restricted to early .

HHmmm I just had a thought how to force the AI to start building more melee