View Poll Results: Group Formation Keys - Num 1 thru 9.. do you use them?

Voters
52. This poll is closed
  • I always use them

8 15.38%
  • I use them once in a while

5 9.62%
  • I seldom use them

9 17.31%
  • I never use them

15 28.85%
  • Gah! Whats tat?

15 28.85%

Thread: Group Formation Keys

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

Question

For me I never use them.
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Lord of the Kanto Senior Member ToranagaSama's Avatar

The "Group" function is great

But, I use my Mouse.
    In Victory and Defeat there is much honor
    For valor is a gift And those who posses it
    Never know for certain They will have it
    When the next test comes....

The next test is the MedMod 3.14; strive with honor.
    Graphics files and Text files
    Load Graphics 1st, Texts 2nd.

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

I'm not referring to the [g]roup for grouping units but the number 1-9 that arrange a selected group into predefined formation.
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

When one selects several units and hits a formation key, those units are automatically grouped.
    I started to use these keys quite recently, but now I often use the first 2 keys, because this way is easier than using the mouse for the same purpose. The rest of the keys are for formations I use less so I never remember what is what, but I guess it's a matter of time till I start to use them too.
    Voevod

Lord of the Kanto Senior Member ToranagaSama's Avatar

Question

Changing my response to:

"Gah Whats tat?"

So, you mean like the formations you can choose, at the "setup" screen. The Icon at the lower left corner, right click and choose?

Sooo, you mean you can make a "sub"-selection of units and use the number keys to "Group" and select a "Formation"?

I repeat: "Gah Whats tat?"

Gotta try this, maybe now those formations might be useful. Doubt it though.

In Victory and Defeat there is much honor
    For valor is a gift And those who posses it
    Never know for certain They will have it
    When the next test comes....

The next test is the MedMod 3.14; strive with honor.
    Graphics files and Text files
    Load Graphics 1st, Texts 2nd.

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

hmm... i always make my own formations
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

No need for the preprogrammed formation.

Annie
    AggonyJade of the Brotherhood of Aggony, [FF]ladyAn or [FF]Jade of the Freedom Fighters

It's quite useful really, for one thing I use it to quickly switch the front line from archers to infantry or vice versa.

Very useful, just select a group of units, draw them out and press 1 - 9. You get a shadow of the units before you drop them. I often use 3 (to put archers into double lines) and 4 or 5 (archers behind infantry or vice versa), mainly to get my units in a rough arrangement before tweaking them to just the way I want them. Some are not so useful eg I think 9 is line of battle so they all just queue up.

Member Member Michael the Great's Avatar

The column formation is quite usefull for assaulting bridges(castles)
    Io,Mihai-Voda,din mila lui Dumnezeu,domn al Tarii Romanesti,Tarii Ardealului si a toata tara Moldovei.

Senior Member Senior Member RTKLamorak's Avatar

i thought he meant do you use the ctrl(+shift) 1-9 grouping method. it isnt to do with formation... but merely by selecting several units and assigning them to numbers you make it much easier to quickly seelct several. I have the same 9 keys assigned every battle.... e.g arbs/archers ctrl 1... cav arch ctrl 2, infantry ctrl 3... left attack team ctrl 4... right attack ctrl 5 and so on. if u use the same ones each game (roughly) controllong ur army when different threats arise is much easier i find... and gives u more time to think about the next move. Anyways mabye i got what he means wrong to .. aaaah well

Member Member Lord of the Isles's Avatar

RTKLamorak,

The CTL-SHIFT-[1-9] grouping facility is really handy, and I use it lots. For example, select all hand-to-hand units, then CTL-Lclick to deselect cavalry, them CTL-SHIFT-1 so that all infantry hand-to-hand are in one group, and I can move them forward of my missile units.

But the post is about formation grouping. Select a group of units at any time, then draw them out using (memory correct here I hope) holding down the left button at one point then moving the mouse while keeping the button down. When you then hit a number between 1-9, it will put them into one of the preset formations (the same ones you get when setting up at the start of a battle). Then let go the left mouse button and they will form that formation.

The commonest use I find for it is regrouping an army that has been pursuing a running enemy. I select all (CTL-A), then use CTL-Lclick to unselect my pursuing cavalry. Then reform the rest (infantry, missiles, maybe General's cavalry unit) into formation 6 (Eastern defence). The cavalry continue to pursue, the others form up where I want ready for the next wave. Later I can either redraw the formation for all the units or just move the cavalry back individually.

S:TW had the same facilities, but I never liked the preset formations much. M:TW has more useful preset ones I find.

I often will use the formations at the beginning of a battle just to check out what will happen...as an experiment...I still find that I do better using my own formations and "painting" the formations personally to really get the effect of the land.....
    I have tried the quick key thang...but prefer to just use the mouse and click a lot LOL.....
    Watashiwa Yagyu Jubei desu Ganbate

I only manually group my units according to their type ie cavalry as a group, archers as another..etc. I don't find the prearranged formation useful at all and they look more or less the same to me. Maybe we can see more improvement to this area in RTW? The Greeks with their deep Phalanxes ranks, the Roman Cohorts in their lines of maniples and the Carthageginian with their elephants as the vanguard???

I never play MP, so I'm curious whether these group formations keys are widely used in MP. Personally, I find it very difficult to play the entire battle without hitting the pause key, giving detailed orders to one or more units and then unpausing. Especially, my horse archers tend to get clobbered if I don't pause and micromanage them. I can't imagine how MP'ers can control their entire armies without being able to pause the game. Perhaps if you use these functions it helps. I only use the group function keys before the battle to group, 1 skirmisher cavalry, 2 archers, 3. heavy cavalry formed into wedges and positioned on the edges of the formation. 4 Infantry (sometimes divided into spear and anti-cav. groups (like Varangian Guardsmen and Halbrediers for counterattacking))

Sometimes it's helpful to have right and left hand groups as well. However, I generally find during the battle that groups get separated or I need to regroup for different purposes. If I couldn't pause the game it'd be too hard.
    Yours was not at first a criminal nature. At 10 you stole sugar,at 15 you stole money,at 25 you committed arson. At 30,hardened in crime,you became an editor. Worse yet is in store for you. You will be sent to Congress,then to the penitentiary. But,all will be well. You will be hanged.
    -Mark Twain

Senior Member Senior Member Elrich of Gaul's Avatar

Nice explaination Lamorak. I however, given I'm an old dog, can't be taught anything new. So to answer the question, no, don't use them. lol.
    "Wake from death and return to life..."

Yes,I was reffering to the column formation,group some units together and hit 9.
    Make sure the units are heavily armoured,an then lead ur army cross the bridge,or the castle gate...
    Io,Mihai-Voda,din mila lui Dumnezeu,domn al Tarii Romanesti,Tarii Ardealului si a toata tara Moldovei.

I use the "3" key with my archers
    KILL RANDOM PEOPLE AND DRINK THEIR BLOOD

If we're talkin about groups,MTW has a great feature,that wasn't present in Shogun.
    If u group some units,u can select them easyer by just clicking on the bar,unlike in Shogun wich it took much more time to select a group.
    But teh most important fact is of selecting multiple units within a group.
    In Shogun,if u wanted 2 select let's say 2 units from a group of 5,u couldn't select them both,because if u clicked on a unit an ctrl clicked on another,it would select the whole group they belonged to.
    So,u had to control them separately.