Thread: Viking Invasion Wishlist...

Somewhere between the sink and the toilet

These are a few of the things I'de ike to see in a otherwise game. Although MTW has it's problems, it's the game that I have been playing the longest and really would like to see a phenominal x-pack.

1) Though I doubt they'de put this in, I'de like to see arrows stick in the gound when they miss (although, this would get messy if you're playing with unlimited ammo)
    2) More variety as far as diplomacy goes. What happened to paying tribute, extorting or just good 'ole insults?
    3) A mace or flail unit maybe not entirely realistic, but very cool
    4) I'de really lik to see some sort of Arabian Swordsmen unit available to the Muslims equipped with sword and shield that specializes in assault. The closest thing we got to that is Futawaas or Nizaris.
    5) I think everyone would like to see archers on the walls
    6) While I'm at it, why not hve ladders? They are havin flaming arrows andboiling oil, so why not?

I know these may sound extreme, but it's what I'de like to see. Your thoughts?
    WORMS

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Though I doubt they'de put this in, I'de like to see arrows stick in the gound when they miss (although, this would get messy if you're playing with unlimited ammo)
    That is a bloomin great idea
    I'm not that fussy really, all I want is a polished version of MTW but with more units and more options etc.
    I'd like to see Defensive steaks put in the ground though. Temporaray shield against cavalry.

Blah and assorted comments Member Foreign Devil's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Xicote @ Feb. 07 2003,23:35)]I'd like to see Defensive steaks put in the ground though. Temporaray shield against cavalry.
    Now that would be cool. Dunno how they'd implement it, though. Maybe for longbowmen? As some sort of extra option?

Quote[/b] (Emp. Conralius @ Feb. 07 2003,23:24)]5) I think everyone would like to see archers on the walls
    100% with you, especially now with boiling oil. There should be a special unit for that.
    Considering that the technology is there to have people on walls in RTW, why not give us a little taste in VI?
    MILLER: I wish we lived in the day where you could challenge a person to a duel.

MILLER: Now, that would be pretty good.

I want to be able to attack a castle with more than one stack. Stupid how you can only attack with one stack, means you're sometimes even outnumbered by the time you get into battle... which isnt realistic at all, and certainly not fun.
    ~LordKhaine~

Quote[/b] ]Dunno how they'd implement it, though. Maybe for longbowmen? As some sort of extra option?
    Thats the idea. Stick some wooden steaks in the ground to stop the cavalry charge, then let your archers tear them up.
    Maybe an option at the start of the battle... "Contruct Defenses" or something. Obviously, then can be destroyed, so they're only tempory.

hmm there are wooden stakes in MTW map editor ther eonly models though u can put them close enough to cav cant go though them
    Expect The Unexpected.

Go tell the Spartans, Stranger walking by, That here, Obedient to their laws, we lie. - King Xerxes

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

id like to be able to cede land and split up existing provinces in order to make the game larger in scale
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Blah and assorted comments Member Foreign Devil's Avatar

Quote[/b] (LordKhaine @ Feb. 08 2003,00:12)]I want to be able to attack a castle with more than one stack. Stupid how you can only attack with one stack, means you're sometimes even outnumbered by the time you get into battle... which isnt realistic at all, and certainly not fun.
    I was under the impression that you could attack with more than one stack. All you have to do is move two differnt stacks over the castle.

Could be wrong, though, I'm not entirely sure.

I'de like to see the Provinces of Poland and Hungary slipt up into smaller provinces. As provinces Hungary and Poland are to general and ultimately cripple the faction if they are taken from them. I would like them to be spit up like Franceand the HRE.

I'de like to also see an expansion in defensive options for castle assaul. Normally, there are only 2:
    1) Sally forth and meet the attackers
    2) Hide behind the walls and fae the inevitable

I understand we're gnna ave boiling oil, good; but if we have that, we might as well have archers on the walls. If anyone in the Guild has played Stonghold, they'll know of what I speak.
    WORMS

ahh yes, stronghold, i love that game. just got the crusader version, very nice.

i just want the viking version, dont care much for the new 1087-1453 version

FORZA ROMA

Senior Member Hopefull Member MiniKiller's Avatar

i have stronghold, dont playt it often, actually once, how is it? lol
    *Bows. Turns to return to darkness...bumps head...looks around, pretends noone saw. Dissapears in shadows while cursing at self*

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

Stronghold crusader is definitly an awesome game,especially the new units and building designs.i don't know if its historically accurate,but arab swordsmen packed a powerful punch,plus they cost less and don't need weapons from the armory
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Quote (LordKhaine @ Feb. 08 2003,00:12)
    I want to be able to attack a castle with more than one stack. Stupid how you can only attack with one stack, means you're sometimes even outnumbered by the time you get into battle... which isnt realistic at all, and certainly not fun.

I was under the impression that you could attack with more than one stack. All you have to do is move two differnt stacks over the castle.

Could be wrong, though, I'm not entirely sure.

You very definitely can attack with more than 1 stack. Just drag and drop them over the castle and you can choose units from both stacks for the attack (assuming you have a combined more than 16).
    Yours was not at first a criminal nature. At 10 you stole sugar,at 15 you stole money,at 25 you committed arson. At 30,hardened in crime,you became an editor. Worse yet is in store for you. You will be sent to Congress,then to the penitentiary. But,all will be well. You will be hanged.
    -Mark Twain

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

Besides diplomacy of course, I would like to see inland trade. As it is now, only coast provinces can bring you really lots of cash. It`s alright that inland provinces bring less money but the rich lands in Germany and France should bring more.

I wanna be a real boy! Member chunkynut's Avatar

Ahhh inland trade, theres the idea that f**ks me off when i see those two goods landlocked provs that should have some option of trasporting the goods to the coast. Of course a cost would be involved but with a large trade fleet you can cover that.

Someone has suggested a road network but the idea hadn't been used properly since roman times and most were mud trails which were there happazardly. So implementation of a road network would not be historicly correct for the time period but a travel network would have been in place to transport goods(if perhaps slowly).

My favorite idea is part of the diplomacy idea, the allied army idea which an allied nation can transport armies (and maybe even goods with the idea above&#33 and attack an enemy or defend your allies prov. It would be very similar to the crusade system but rather than ask the pope you ask the king(s) of the land(s) you wish to pass(or attack them if they refuse? doughtful). Would maybe incure costs through each prov (food etc) and would leave you in good standing with ally if you ended a siege or defended a prov. This could also bring an emisary option of requesting military help between allies?

Senior Member Senior Member Jxrc's Avatar

Speaking of crusades ...

What about finding a sensible road to the destination without any coming and going between two provinces ?

Wouldn't it be nice to get the GA points when achieve the crusade without having to use the going into the castle trick ?

About units and building ...

Why would'nt the window where you pick the units you can produce give you the valour that will be granted ?

Couldn't we suggest that the description of each building be made a little more accurate so that we do not have to guess what's the use of the military academy and the collège of surgeon or what is the point building a master swordsmith ...

Merely suggestions but these problems do not seem that difficult to fix ...

This is a minor interface issue, but I find the choosing of units during the deployment phase (when your army is large enough) to be tedious. Furthermore, sometimes I would like my Mamluk Cavalry to appear before my Saracen Infrantry during the reinforcement phase...is there not a way to choose which units march to battle? What I propose is an interface screen found at both the beginning of the battle, and during it, in which all units will be shown as icons (slightly translucent, of course) and can be selected to appear as reinforcements as you see fit.
    "No Plan survives Contact with the Enemy."

Quote[/b] ]Stick some wooden steaks in the ground to stop the cavalry charge, then let your archers tear them up
    It ought to be a seige weapon; "Anti Cavalry Stakes"
    Give it no men if that is possible or have the stakes take the place of the men so you can drag out a line like with normal units.

Have them build from the seige engineers workshop same as ballistae.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

This wont be included, but I would like the ability to click and drag groups of units into curvy lines. Would make army movements cooler and smoother.

Now, does the execution sound get better with the more executed at once? This could be taken to amazingly deep levels.

Some moaning and groaning noises from the "dead" sprites, as some of these are prisoners that are simply incapacitated with concussions, etc..

An "Enraged" form of morale for elite units, caused by death of comrades from dishonorable means like siege weapons, archers, and infidels. Would apply only in strictly a few situations. Sorta like Impetuous on overdrive with combat bonuses.

An option to have the unit standard fall on the ground and require picking up to reobtain; without it units cannot remain organized and cannot rally without the general's help. Not a very good addition to the gameplay, but would be realistic.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

I'de also like to see that evry Crusading order have foor knights like the Hospitallers. Templar Foot Knights, Teutonic Foot Knights, and Santiago Foot Knights. How does that sound? I think it would breath fresh are into the Crusading department.

And would it be possible to make the Midde East more exotic? It seems awfully dull to me. Some good ideas may come from another great game in Stronghold: Crusader...
    WORMS

well I have said it before but I thought I would try it again. Smaller and different types of battles. Attacking trading caravans, ambushing kings on the road. Robin Hood type stuff.

All I really care about is more diplomatic options.

A good example would be Papal endorsement for wars, as William the Bastard recieved for his English invasion. The game would keep track of causes for war that you gain during the course of your rule, and you can bring these grievances to the pope.

Let's say, for example, you're playing Early as France, and England attacks you. You beat off their invasion forces, and then you send an emmisary to the pope, asking for permission to eliminate the English. Since the King of England is technically the Duke of Normandy and your sworn vassal, the pope has to agree, and removes his protection from the oathbreaker, allowing you to bring the scum to heel. You could also influence the pope to excommunicate your enemies, etc. etc.

Other things, like demanding concessions of territory, trade embargos, and improved loyalty tracking would be nice. Ethnic revolts would be especially good.
    "You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you."
    --Leon Trotsky

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

My wishes are for better diplomacy (less breaking of alliances as soon as the first war breakes out ect ect).

Inland traderoutes... That could make Syria and Edessa quite valuable and France quite rich in all (as it will now actively seek out traderoutes).

And that idea by Kongamato. Enraged (Elite and religious only) when fighting enemies that has just executed the prisoners, are of opposing religion (only Catholics and Muslims hate each other, Orthodox are free and pagans are neutral too).
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

1. More diplomatic options. Trade embargos, tribute demands, joint attacks etc.
    2. Improved diplomacy. On expert it's quite impossible to have long term alliances...As you get stronger the AI just unites against you. And never had a cease-fire.
    3. Improved AI on the strategic map (I find the battle AI quite good. I guess I suck at tactics huh )
    4. Lithuanian faction
    5. Battle of Grunwald
    6. More of the outstanding music
    Temple of Aozos - roleplaying, writting, drawing and chatting community.

I will not buy Rome:Total War unless Viking Invasion is patched.

Since this is a wish-list:

1. Ability to set "auto-options" on a Province by Province basis. Would be happy if they only did "Auto Construction of Buildings".

2. Ability to tribute. Helping an ally financially wouldn't contradict historical practices and it could be tactically useful.

3. Options Screen for modifying AI Units, money, strategy, etc. rather then editing "begin.txt" et al.

4. Ability to co-ordinate attacks with allies.

5. Would also like the developers to send me a few bags of gold coins.