Thread: Is there going to be an expansion pack?

Sorry if a similar post has already been made, but I was wondering if anyone know whether or not this great game will have an EP, or if anyone has any ideas for what would be good in one. My thoughts were that the game is already good enough, but for those who have mastered it... perhaps some new historical battles - or some adjustments to the custom battles (more adjustable maybe?). I think the general consensus about ideas for a new unit have shown it will make the game more alike to other RTS games, and will be less dependent on strategy - I must agree. Perhaps they could improve the existing ones? I think it would be cool if, when you build an armoury, the colour of your troops' armour in battle changes. Thus, on the final upgrade, your troops have gold bands around them.
    Perhaps they could improve the controversial muskets and gun factory?

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

Thus far the buzz is there will be a TWII-Rome, this is unofficial at this time however.

For an STW expansion pack- just implement what was originally stated in the preliminary previews/demo. Oh yeah, and add some clans too
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

I have to point out that armour made of gold would be totally useless

Besides, cosmetic improvements like that are not the most important things that need to be addressed. If the expansion pack (if it exists) contains only such small improvements I won't be paying good money for it. Any expansion pack would need to make substantial improvements in many areas, particularly the strategic aspect.

Also, the setting of Japan is fairly limiting for any expansion pack - setting the game post-Sengoku Jidai would be daft, since that was a period of unbroken rule by the Tokugawa Shogunate. Basing the expansion pack before 1530 might be a better idea.

I would like an expansion pack, but I know that EA-published expansion packs tend to be wastes of money. In fact one of my pet hates is EA They have over the years either bought out or signed publishing contracts with a number of excellent games developers only to turn them into sequel factories, churning out re-hashes of their most popular franchises. A case in point would be Bullfrog. One of the most innovative developers for the Amiga, ST and later PC and PlayStation, all they now seem to do is churn out sequels of Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Park etc. And after each sequel release there is, without fail, an expansion pack (Populous New Worlds, Deeper Dungeon etc.), usually consisting of no more than a few extra maps. Now I have always been a fan of Bullfrog and their games, since Popolous first got me hooked on strategy games, but I am glad Peter Molyneux left to form Lionhead (although their publisher is, you guessed it, EA) which seems to be giving him the chance to take his time and make Black & White, an innovative game that is exactly the kind of thing Bullfrog used to be good at before the EA buy-out.

Oops, sorry for turning this post into an anti-EA rant

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

I hope there is an expansion pack, it should have the corean campain and the mongol invasions!

------------------
    "yama yama tani tani"- Oda Nobunaga.
    on every montain and in every valley!
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

Perhaps the Korean campaign for a true Shogun expansion pack- could be interesting. As to the Mongol invasions, well that was some 400+ years earlier...seems like quite a stretch.
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

There have actually been a lot of good ideas that I think could only be implemented in an EP. Some real diplomacy, the chooding of heirs (underage daimyo thread, I think), things like that. Refinements of castle sieges, taking less than a year to put up the crappy wood castle. Maybe this would just be a big patch. Maybe EA could make Sogun: Total War 2 and Caesar: Total War if they want to make a Roman TW. Just my thoughts.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

hmmm.a korean expansion pack might not be too difficult, all it would require is a new CD with the korean campaign map data and "clan" information which basically makes it operate like the original. Dont know anything about K armies, though, but new maps might be kinda nice.

Senior Member Senior Member The Daimyo's Avatar

I say we ask the ones who are supposed to be telling the bally-hooers anyways. I don't like rumors about us getting goodies that may never show up. That's how this whole mess got started in the first place, and now look where we are!!! Loose lips sink ships. B_S included.

------------------
    The Daimyo
    Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
    @http://www.planettotalwar.com

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

Let's not forget the map editor for the expansion pack!

All in all, what I would hope to see would be the Korean campaign (with Korean and Chinese troops; same stats but different sprites. Magy would love it!), the map editor, additional historical scenarios, and a completely
    re-done strategic game (including additional clans, even if they are Ronin).

That's my wish list for an add-on!

------------------
    Obake

We are but shadows of our former selves and the sons and daughters of lions have become sheep. I am the ghost of our past.
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

I would like to see

1. The number of clans increased
    2. The option to select a random 7 starting clans from the list. (If 7 is a must, that is).
    3. Different strategic maps (like Lords of the Realm II). They can all be Japanese for all I care...

I think that will add a good amount of replayability to the SP game.

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Obake, yes the Korean Campaign would be very interesting (and Maggy would adore it)

But look at these:

1) Fire archers

2) Sea Battles

3) Making enemy ninja, shinobi, etc yours (converted spies)

4) Capturing generals, daimyos,heirs for ransom.

5) Attacking enemy camps and defending your camps

6) DOING YOUR ASSASINATIONS IN A First-person shooter mode as ninja.

Wouldn't these be cool?

------------------
    Honour to Clan Kenchikuka.

Visit my resource centre at:

http://terazawa_tokugawa.tripod.com/terazawatokugawa