Thread: An odd thing happened in hte edge zone

Senior Member Senior Member Hakonarson's Avatar

I had a unit of BB's routing off the table and they apepared to self-rally in the edge zone.

then they sat stuck there with the rout flag blinking on and off as if they were jsut about to rout, with withdraw orders, not actually visible on the map but still takign up a slot.

Eventually I figured out to voluntarily rout them using right click and the menu - it wouldn't let me rout them from the icons at teh top of the page 'cos it said that action wasn't allowed in the edge zone.

Very frustrating time fightign with 15 reinforcements arriving in dribs & drabs against the might of the Byz & Germans who outnumbered me 4:3

I've had something similar happen to me before. I was defending on a fairly large hill near the rear edge of the map and needed to recycle out my depleted archer units for fresh reinforcements. Unfortunately It seemed that nearly all the units I withdrew from combat would get stuck on the far slope of the map edge where the hill met oblivion. It would take ages for those units to retreat as one man would trickle off at a time, and painfully slow too boot. Only by toggling Halt and Withdraw multiple times would these units finally make it off the battlefield in a timely fashion. I think the steepness of the slope on the map edge side of the hill screwed up the pathfinding.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

were they in trees? I have had this problem a few times - it seems the units have problems trying to withdraw off the map edge through trees. The halt button flashes on & off repeatedly and I had to keep clicking it to cancel their withdraw orders to bring them back on to the map and then have them withdraw on a section with no trees.

Frustrating when your trying to actually command other troops in battle and need reinforcements at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]were they in trees? I have had this problem a few times - it seems the units have problems trying to withdraw off the map edge through trees. The halt button flashes on & off repeatedly and I had to keep clicking it to cancel their withdraw orders to bring them back on to the map and then have them withdraw on a section with no trees.

Frustrating when your trying to actually command other troops in battle and need reinforcements at the same time
    Hah I believe so. My units were withdrawing and entering the battlefield through a forested area at the top of a hill. Maybe we can bring this bug to the attention of the developers?
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

If they haven`t noticed it yet, there`s not much chance it will be fixed in VI. Maybe in the patch, if there is one.

My guys may have ben in trees - there were some around but I didn't actually notice where the unit was leaving from - it only came to may attention that it WASN'T leaving

Oh and I couldn't bring them back on - they'd actually left the map at this stage

In an MP game a single Polish Retainer of mine got stuck trying to withdraw through the woods. He spent around 15 minutes in an on-and-off-again "withdrawing" phase, while none of the controls would respond, as he would withdraw, stop, withdraw, stop. The rout button was unavailable, but the rout flag was blinking, I believe. For some strange reason he was able to leave the redzone and return to the battlefield. I was not watching him as he did this, but he was able to do it somehow. I have confidence in the belief that this is simply a rare bug which will not be exploitable.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

Quote[/b] (Hakonarson @ Mar. 12 2003,07:27)]My guys may have ben in trees - there were some around but I didn't actually notice where the unit was leaving from - it only came to may attention that it WASN'T leaving

Oh and I couldn't bring them back on - they'd actually left the map at this stage
    you can still bring them back on - look at the halt button. If it is flashing keep clicking it until unit is not withdrawing anymore and they will automatically march back on to the map. This will work even if you can't see them.

I think the devs would have noticed this bug as it haas been discussed in a few other threads.

hope this helps

Yeah I tried clicking on the halt button but nothing seemed to happen - hence I routed them from the menu.

it does take a while or perhaps your problem was something different

I remember I had to keep clicking the button a lot of times. Was it at least flashing?

Yeah it ws flashing as you described, but at teh time I was trynig to beat up 4000 enemy with my remaining 15 units so I didnt' really want to devote a whole lot of time to it

Quote[/b] (Hakonarson @ Mar. 12 2003,13:36)]Yeah it ws flashing as you described, but at teh time I was trynig to beat up 4000 enemy with my remaining 15 units so I didnt' really want to devote a whole lot of time to it
    I know how you feel. I think I "discovered" this problem with about 4-5 units at the same time. I still won (thanks to a big hill&#33 the battle but remaining units got mauled badly.