Thread: Who is actually going to get the Viking Invasion?

Somewhere between the sink and the toilet

As of late, I've been reading negative press toward one of the most anticipated and significant x-packs in the RTS genre. So, here's my question: Who is buying the game? I, for one, am going to get it in a heartbeat, but what about you guys?

Eat Cold Steel's accounts and bits of info toward the VI have been very usefull and helpfull, but yet I still see people in the Guild complain about relatively MINOR issues such as whether or not the Vikings will have horns And as a result, will not purchase the expansion. Your thoughts?
    WORMS

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Me too, I'll get it in a heartbeat. I'll mainly get it for the patch to MTW, although the VI campaigns might be a nice change of pace and setting. MTW is so good, and RTW so promising, I don't begrudge paying to support CAs work.

im gettin it and ill laugh cos the people not buying it will be missing out on what i think will be a great expansion.

British Army: be the best

As a dedicated SP, I have to get it They promise too much for me to pass it by...
    God does not play dice.

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

I also can not wait to get it Looks great to me...
    Taking life one day at a time!

I already pre-ordered VI through my local EB store.

Count me in. Although my greatest concern is the AI I do not expect VI to be a vast improvement over MTW in that area. However, thanks to new units, factions, maps, bug fixes, features, etc. I do expect that the overall gameplay experience in VI will be better than the original.

We also know that MTW:VI is going to be more moddable than MTW 1.1 so whatever shortcomings are present in the inital release (and are overlooked in any future patch) we may be able fix on our own... within reason of course.

Sure MTW has its rough spots but VI is bound to be alot of fun.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Blah and assorted comments Member Foreign Devil's Avatar

There was a good thread on the vikings with horns issue a while back. I think Emp. Conralius started that one too, methinks...

Talking

yeah can't wait myself ,currently i'm thinking of a way
    to skip april i wish would just go away

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    will not purchase the expansion
    sorry, don`t understand that phrase

Slapshooter Senior Member el_slapper's Avatar

Will not be available in France. Will be the hell to buy elsewhere. So, unless I'm getting lucky, I won't. And that's a shame.
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left

Having a point of view upon everything is good
    Having a view upon every point is better

Question

Quote[/b] (el_slapper @ Mar. 18 2003,12:59)]Will not be available in France. Will be the hell to buy elsewhere. So, unless I'm getting lucky, I won't. And that's a shame.
    Why will it be not available, el_slapper?

I suppose you could get it from UK stores then. Or order on Amazon or the like.

Anyway, I'll get my copy for sure.
    Ignoranti, quem portum petat, nullus suus ventus est. -Seneca, Epistulae Morales, VIII, 71, 3

I expect the expansion to polish M:TW to a shine and add some great new content. I loved what Warlord Edition did to Shogun so how can I not buy this expansion.

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

The US will ban Viking Invasions because it cuts too close with their own version of an invasion, I wonder what units they have in store?
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

You are unlikely to get many who say they aren't going to purchase the expansion because those who express a reluctance tend to get their asbestos shorts blackened. (For the irony-impaired, that means they get flamed.)

I'm not. I think CA could have done more to fix some things that are not working right, without forcing us to pay them more. I've already paid more for this game than every other game I've bought.

Imho, there is only one way to "win" the game. Unless I see evidence to the contrary, I feel there will be only more of the same for VI, and that's not enough for me. There are many ways to play Civ3, which makes the replay value great. I can't say the same for MTW.

I am even with CA. I bought the game they put out. I played the heck out of it. I've played dozens of campaigns with the same outcome. That's it. We're even. I cannot justify putting in more money to play the same thing.

Flame away, boys.
    It's a good thing that war is so horrible or we would grow to love it too much.

Lightbulb

Quote[/b] (Old Bald Guy @ Mar. 18 2003,14:15)]You are unlikely to get many who say they aren't going to purchase the expansion because those who express a reluctance tend to get their asbestos shorts blackened. (For the irony-impaired, that means they get flamed.)

I'm not. I think CA could have done more to fix some things that are not working right, without forcing us to pay them more. I've already paid more for this game than every other game I've bought.

Imho, there is only one way to "win" the game. Unless I see evidence to the contrary, I feel there will be only more of the same for VI, and that's not enough for me. There are many ways to play Civ3, which makes the replay value great. I can't say the same for MTW.

I am even with CA. I bought the game they put out. I played the heck out of it. I've played dozens of campaigns with the same outcome. That's it. We're even. I cannot justify putting in more money to play the same thing.

Flame away, boys.
    Heh. I have never experienced any flaming on game related issues here at the org. And I doubt you voicing your personal opinion will trigger any.
    As for there being only one way to win, this I kind of what I expect when I buy a game by the name of "Total War".
    Ignoranti, quem portum petat, nullus suus ventus est. -Seneca, Epistulae Morales, VIII, 71, 3

OBG: Just sit tight for now, wait until others have had a chance to play the expansion. Once there's been enough posts and "player" reviews of the pack, then make your decision on whether it's worth the purchase or not. Just a friendly suggestion.

I'm definetly getting it, and if there are some problems with it I'm sure it won't be anything that all the modders won't be able to fix or improve on.

Member Member Mori Gabriel Syme's Avatar

I'm getting it. The single player enhancements sound great. I look forward to playing as the Hungarians. The detailed map of England & opportunity to play as one of the smaller kingdoms within the island will be great.

& it won't matter whether the Vikings have horns--they will still fall before my armies

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

I am going to wait and see if it fixes the many *long standing* issues which still exist with the original game, before i decide whether to buy it or not.

If it doesnt fix the issues, then i wont be buying it, regardless of any new content. CA simply wont see any more of my money. Ever.

If it does fix them, and adds sufficent new content to make it a worthy purchase in its own right, then i will buy it.

However, i feel that the bugfixes to the original game should also be made available in a free patch. I dont see why i should have to pay again just to get something which i have already paid for once.

As long as it arrive in the local store, I will get it.
    Patience is the companion of wisdom.
    --St. Augustine

Just an Oldfart Member Basileus's Avatar

Medieval had alot of minor and some realy annoying problems but i still loved it and i will propably do so with viking invasion when i buy it

Ill get it ofcus, but if it disapoint me as MTW did i wont get RTW
    There I see my father.
    There I see my mother, my sisters and brothers.
    There I see my line of ancestors back to the beginning.
    They call on me and ask me to take my place with them in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

TheViking a.k.a AggonyViking a.k.a FearTheViking a.k.a WildboarViking

MTW was even better than i amagined when i bought it,i hope VI will be the same =D.
    ill surely buy it
    It's time to get physical whitchoo,foo'

Somewhere between the sink and the toilet

Thumbs up

Quote[/b] (Old Bald Guy @ Mar. 18 2003,08:15)]You are unlikely to get many who say they aren't going to purchase the expansion because those who express a reluctance tend to get their asbestos shorts blackened. (For the irony-impaired, that means they get flamed.)

Flame away, boys.
    I don't intend you at all OBG, I just can't see how a fan of the series can pass up an expansion pack that offers what it does.

It is true though, unless you not afraid of being flames (as you have shown) your really not going to write a reply in this particular thread.

Your response willbe noted and respected. Go easy boys
    WORMS

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

me
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Buying it and taking a week off. Will it be perfect? probably not, but no game ever is. And there are always people with complaints. But knowing MTW and this company, I know the Exp. will be great
    Dimeolas