Thread: Most entertaining theater

What is your favorite theater of conflict in this game? There are many different sections of the map that feature unique terrain and styles of combat. I could not list them all, but I can give a few examples. The Iberian peninsula features the 3-way conflict between Aragon, Spain, and the Almohads. It is famous in this game for the actions of El Cid and the AUM forces. The northern Steppe and Eastern Europe also provide chances for great combat, as the Horde shows up, threatening the Byz, Polish, and Russians. You also cannot forget the Desert and Western Europe as well. However, I am sure you have your favorites. Please tell me what they are and why you like them
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

For me it is to replay the hundred years war. I love the western European theatre of combat, as the war between England and France is always bloody and to the death and provinces exchange hands more times that in any other theatre I have experienced. It's a real baptism of fire for both the English and French.
    'Odi et ammo, excrucior' - I love and I hate, it hurts.

'Excretus est ex altitudine' - Shat upon from a great hight.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I mainly play England and HRE on early. I enjoy the English theatres, especially:

- the Celtic peripherary, Scotland and Ireland, is fun. The rolling terrain is interesting and facing hordes of barbarians with a weak early army is tense. Typically, I have several reloads in Scotland: the highland charge is impressive Ireland is easier, once you focus your longbows on the Gallowglasses. Wales, I confess I buy.

- the Crusades: the music and desert locations immediately impress on you how strange is the land you are warring in. Often you can hold the line against the lighter Islamic forces. But occaisionally you can miscalculate catastrophically and see your mighty Crusader army utterly destroyed in a single battle.

HRE border zones are much less fun for some reason - maybe just because they are tougher My heart sinks when I face mass French invasions in flat featureless Lorraine or even worse Friesland, which I can never afford to lose for its port.

The Italian border area is little better - more hilly, but the Italians tend to have more serious early forces than the French - less peasants and archers, more militia - sometimes with impressive militia sergeants.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Kongamoto:

I love to:

a) defend the area around Constantinople against the Egyptians and Golden Horde. The battles here are great fun.

b) fight in Western/Central Europe, especially against the French (whom I have long disliked, well before the recent bandwagon). The strategy of fighting with many borders is cool.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

The Eastern Mediterranean.. especially Asia Minor. The only place in the game where you are guarenteed of getting all three religious factions in the same spot..

Nothing compares to defending the Roman Empire from the pernicious raiders of Islam and the treacherous, barbarian Franks

Cheers.
    -- Elwe --
    I wish for a multiplayer campaign in Rome: Total War

dammit Elwe why do you always get to the good posts before I do? Anyway I agree with Elwe. Balancing out the Turks and Egyptians, crusader and rebellions, Muslims and Christians etc takes a great deal of military, naval and strategic skill plus a heart of steel, no aversion to treachery and brass ones Makes for a great game as the Byzan....er...right, I forgot.....sorry, Elwe.....the Roman Empire.

PS-I do agree with you now but you gotta let me have my fun right?

Heraclius you are just being a silly Greek...-Galestrum

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Sure, Heraclius. Go ahead I can be very magnanimous in the face of your capitulation...

Cheers
    -- Elwe --

I cant bwhahaha victory over the Greek

The Byzantine theatre is great. The terrain can be desert, arid, rocky, hilly, mountainous, lush & forested.

The enemies range from barbarians to islam to crusaders.

Tons of opportunity for diplomacy, religious conversion, and maritime warfare oh my

and another thing thats awesome with the byzantines, they seem to get this great song/music that is played when the move their troops.

Whenever i hear that song i turn my sound to max and just get zapped back in time.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Galestrum @ Mar. 18 2003,23:40)]and another thing thats awesome with the byzantines, they seem to get this great song/music that is played when the move their troops.
    Romans, dear chap... not Byzantines.. Romans.. We finally converted Heraclius, time for you to do it right too.

Oh dear... are we hijacking another thread?

Cheers.
    -- Elwe --

not at all old chum. . By the way have you heard the byzantine (damn I meant Roman)victory music, either of you? the sweetest sound to my ears you know deeee-deee-deee deeedle-deeedle-deee deee-dee-deee deedle-deedele-deee ad infitum. Doesn't sound like Greek music to me but oh well, I'm happy when its playing.

Yup, the Roman victory music is very good...

Umm... are you sure we aren't hijacking..?

Cheers
    -- Elwe --

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Elwe @ Mar. 19 2003,00:35)]Umm... are you sure we aren't hijacking..?

Cheers
    Did I say that? (notice the wink).

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

Elwe, galestrum and herac are generals after my own heart and lance, lo and behold the expanses of Asia Minor where the tides of Islam batter hopelessly against the professional and disciplined army of the Romans. Asia Minor where the Klibanophorois run free and frolick in full armour waiting for Springs raid into Syria and Edessa.
    Well anyway. Middle East is top, i like to use Cyprus, crete and rhodes as strategic ports to launch campaigns against the Levantine coast, best of all the defensive battles against Muslims. Hordes of them push into ur territory only to get kicked after a glorious Roman victory
    Plus the lands there are rich, when you sick ur teeth into Tripoli, ANtioch and Egypt you thank fate for letting the Western ROman EMpire fall instead of the East.
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

Member Member Mori Gabriel Syme's Avatar

I enjoy Western Europe the most. Room to maneuver, but with a good variety of hills & flat land & woods. I have a problem with my armies becoming exhausted in the desert because of their armor.

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

The Turkish going for Constantinopel and beyond...

I have to say the English is my favorite. Immediately you have Wales, France and Scotland to contend with. France usually has slightly stronger forces than you and they can pincer your starting provinces in the mainland. The forces in Scotland and Wales are stong enough to be pain in the asses early on... and then their are the rebellions to worry about.

Also with the English I always feel that I have to expand quickly if I want to have any influence in the middle period.
    All you can do is pray for a quick death... which you ain't gonna get -Mr. Blonde

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

I only play two factions anymore HRE or the Romans. I love the sheer amount of factions around me, the french have nice rich lands, the italians good trade, the polish and hungarians just open me up to vast expanses of territory.

The romans have the best variety of troops and terrain. They are stinking rich. And their just plain fun.

Problem is that even with my mod taking over the whole world is still a bit too easy.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

I love doing some mental engineering on muslim units, I mod them to faster and aggressive with superior honour but crap defense so that their attack is devastating.

They destroyed my highly elite Klibanophori heavy cavalry unit, well anyway the Ghazi Infantry did anyway. Those guys are nuts to fight against.

Grrrrrrrrrrr I need my own Ghazis, I need the pig patrol
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!