Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: THE list of MTW heroes

I'd like to see how many historical figures we can find in MTW (not counting Kings of course)

Say what faction you had them as and anything about them if you know of their history.
    English:

I've seen....

Guy de Gisborne, a 5 star assassin. I've heard that this guy is part of the Robin Hood legend. You can get him easily as the English from just building assassins. He should show up.

Thomas Beckett - a 3 star Catholic Bishop. Get him just for building guys. Not sure exactly what he's done.

Now here are some English generals that start out with high stars upon training but I don't know who they are.

Simon Montfort the Younger
    Simon Montfort the Elder
    Sir Strongbow Fitzgilbert
    Sir Tancred de Normandie

There are some others I know I'm missing.

Italians:

I have had an emmisary known as Marco Polo. he started with 3 stars. We all know who he is.

A high general with the last name Tankerville. I don't know who he is.

Germans:

Henry the Lion - He was a German lord who tried to betray Barbarossa. He just shows up in a random unit with high stars.

Hermann von Salza - another high ranking general. Historically he founded the Teutonic Knights I believe

I also seemed to notice a high star general with the last name Der Bar as the Germans. No idea who he is.

Rebels:

Robin of Loxley (Robin Hood)- showed up during a Catholic rebellion in England in the High period. Not sure what kind of unit he was in charge of because I didn't notice it until I had the option of executing him. I did

El Cid - he is a powerful rebel general in Valencia in charge of a unit of Jinetes in Early. For those who don't know he was a major factor in the early wars against the Muslims.

William Wallays (William Wallace from Braveheart) - Showed up in a Scottish rebellion. Led a unit of Feudal Knights. He had high piety, dread, and command stars.

Vlad Tepes (Vlad the Impaler) - showed up as a rebel general in Wallachia or Bulgaria I think it was. He was the historical figure Dracula was based on.

French:

Joan of Arc - you can build her in the Late age. High rank general.

Lord Bouillion - I always notice him as a high rank general, but have no idea who he is historically.

Those are all the historical figures that I can remember. If anyone sees anymore or knows the history of the ones I've mentioned, put it here. I wanna see how many historical figures CA has put into this great game.

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

Turks:

Imad Al Din Zengi(the dude who defeated the crusaders in the second crusade before saladin and Nur al Din)

Qara Timurtash(can be trained,originally a turkoman warrior,but i always train armenians to get him)

Hasan e-Sabah(sum dude,don't remember)

Egyptians:

Saladin(i bet you know him)

and some guy who had the word "aleppo" in his name,don't remember who he was

Elmos:

Ibn Tashufin(the guy who killed El Cid)

Muslim rebels:

Al Mo'tamid Bin Imad(Motamid)the guy who asked for tashufins help,and later El Cids help to kick the berbers out)
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Member Member Michael the Great's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Hamburglar @ Mar. 09 2003,13:33)]Vlad Tepes (Vlad the Impaler) - showed up as a rebel general in Wallachia or Bulgaria I think it was. He was the historical figure Dracula was based on.
    WHAT????
    what unit was he in?
    Io,Mihai-Voda,din mila lui Dumnezeu,domn al Tarii Romanesti,Tarii Ardealului si a toata tara Moldovei.

What is Saladin's name in the game? I've found Nur al Din but not Saladin. IIRC, Nur al Din is around 6-8 stars with the expert attacker (+3) virtue.

Autocrat Member Vlad The Impaler's Avatar

about Lord Bouillon .he was Godeffroy de Bouillon , count of Flanders ( but i'm not sure) and he lead the first crusade.he was later the first latin king of Jerusalem .
    u get him with the french , the first unit u build it so i think is wise to mode the french to have royal knight to build in Ile De France so u can have an high star general with cavalry.
    Tough Times Don't Last. Tough People Do. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. [Mark Twain]

Well his real name isn't Saladin, that's just kind of mashing all the letters together. I think it would show up as Salah Al Din or something like that.

There is another Egyptian guy named Asad al Din Shirkoh or something who has around 5-6 stars but little else. There was another one after Ilghazi of Aleppo, Shahinshah I think who has around 6 stars as well.

As for Spanish, which I'm currently playing, aside from bribing El Cid, all the good generals they have have been heirs. I haven't found any good ones yet. For Byzantines, I think there was only one good non-heir that I found.

As the Italians I had a emissary named Don Fransesco Petrach that 3 stars.
    Doge Enrico II, Ruler of the United Italia

For the Byzantines the only one I have found so far is Alexius Branas, who can be trained and appears with five stars
    Heraclius you are just being a silly Greek...-Galestrum

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote[/b] (faisal @ Mar. 09 2003,14:11)]Imad Al Din Zengi(the dude who defeated the crusaders in the second crusade before saladin and Nur al Din)
    What? Zengi was a potential enemy of the Turks, and was allied with the Byzantines. I don't get it.
    "You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you."
    --Leon Trotsky

Oh yeah, I got Alexius Branas. His other stats were mediocre when I got him though. Around 2-3 acumen, piety and dread.

Quote[/b] (Hamburglar @ Mar. 09 2003,15:35)]Well his real name isn't Saladin, that's just kind of mashing all the letters together. I think it would show up as Salah Al Din or something like that.
    Actually I'm pretty sure Saladin means Defender of the Faith, although I could be quite wrong. Anyone out there know for sure?
    Heraclius you are just being a silly Greek...-Galestrum

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote[/b] (Hamburglar @ Mar. 09 2003,13:33)]Joan of Arc - you can build her in the Late age. High rank general.
    This is rude, but I gotta ask:

What happens when you try to arrange a marriage with this general?
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Kongamato @ Mar. 09 2003,20:28)]
    Quote[/b] (Hamburglar @ Mar. 09 2003,13:33)]Joan of Arc - you can build her in the Late age. High rank general.
    This is rude, but I gotta ask:

What happens when you try to arrange a marriage with this general?
    Been wondering the same. I've only played as the French once and had "Sir Joan of Arc". Thought about trying to marry her to a princess to see if it yielded some sort of perversion vice...
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Oh I got Joan of Arc married. She married my daughter. Kind of funny. PLUS, she had a vice of Secret Adultery, which in the description says sleeping with a woman out of marriage. So she was into girls even more.

I wonder if you get Joan all hardcore powerful and then destroy her loyalty you could have a Civil war and then choose her to be King. She could have children with her lesbian wife.

Has anyone seen any more historical guys? Does anyone know what those generals that I named did in history?

Oh, and yeah, I am 100% sure his name was not Saladin like that. it was Salah Al Din or something of the like. I have a book on the crusades at school but I'm on break so I wont be back to check it for awhile.

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

His real name was Salah Al-Din Yussuf iben Ayyub. I don`t think he shows up in the campaign.
    I had a bishop Albertus Magnus, 3-stars, who was famous German scholar. But wasn`t there a list in some thread of all heros?

Member Member Gazza the Lionheart's Avatar

Im not 100% sure but I think Thomas Beckett was the Archbishop of Canterbury and was killed in his church by knights under the command of the King of England.
    God must love crazy people, he made so many of them.

For Italian: San Francesco D'Assisi an inquisitor 3 stars (in the real history he was a peaceful monk)
    Niccolo Machiavelli ambassador don't remember the stars LOL

LRossaRikimaru

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

Salah Al Din shows up as Nasir I,i think i got him.and Yes Imad Al Din Zengi was the sultan of the zengids(the turkish state before the seljuks came).

And Salah Al Din does not mean Defender of the faith,it has another meaning(i don't know how to translate it though).
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Perhaps I can help with some of the English names….

Thomas Beckett was the archbishop of Canterbury the most important religious office in England and was assassinated in 1170 in the cathedral by knights of Henry II king of England. He was afterwards canonised as St Thomas and his tomb became the most important site of Christian pilgrimage during the middle ages in Europe after Rome and Santiago de Compostella. An important work in English literature “The Canterbury Tales” by Geoffrey Chaucer written in the early 14th century had as its theme the events on the pilgrimage to the tomb of St Thomas.

Simon de Montfort was the leader of a baronial movement for reform; he is widely credited with the founding of the first Parliament of 1265. In May 1264 Simon de Montfort won a resounding victory at Lewes and set up a new government. In May 1265 the young Prince Edward (later king Edward I), escaped captivity and rallied the royalist forces, defeating and killing de Montfort at Evesham where he was dismembered by the victorious royalists.

Richard FitzGilbert de Clare, Earl of Strigoil, nicknamed Strongbow invaded and took Ireland on behalf of Henry II at the invitation of the ruler of Leinster Dermot MacMurrough. Henry II later made John, his son, 'Lord of Ireland'.

The only Tancred I know of is the nephew of Bohemond I one of the leaders of the first crusade. He joined him on the first crusade from the Norman kingdom of Sicily in 1096 and eventually become a Prince of Antioch.

MTR: AOA project ###### (temp) Member kataphraktoi's Avatar

Alexius Comenus, yes yes it is obvious but he is a hero ain't he, rescued Byzantium and earned a big "expert defender" virtue.

Found Thomas Beckett in my empire, was wondering whether I shoukd kill him or not and make history complete, my assassin got killed by his bishop's staff with double pronged eagles on each side - the pope's pike they calls it - no not really but my assassin was caught, poor fella only needed one more day till retirement.
    Retired from games altogether!!

Feudalism TOtal War, non-active member and supporter. Long Live Orthodox Christianity!

As the Danes you get Snorri Sturluson. He is a four star general, I think. And if he is who I think he is, then he is an icelandic chief, who wrote the norwegian royal sagas and the younger Edda, among other. He should appear in late 1100.
    Patience is the companion of wisdom.
    --St. Augustine

Thanks for the info about those English dudes.

Anyone know who Der Bar or Tankerville are?

He who controls Arrakis.. Member 71-hour Ahmed's Avatar

I had a rock hard Machiavelli as an Italian general, but maybe he isn't THE machiavelli then, if he turns up as an ambassador, or is it just an italian name?
    The scary thing about leaving the Org for a while and then coming back is the exponential growth of "gah!" on your return...

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

All Italian ex-royals are called Machiavelli.

Saladin, Salah ad din, "ad din" means "excellent prince and star of the religion". Someone already mentioned his real name "Yusef" which is Joeseph.

I haven't discovered anymore heroes than the rest of you have already found, but I did have Friedrich "Barbarossa" as my Holy Roman Emperor during my last HRE campaign. I wasn't sure if you could have hero kings until that point, so I imagine it would be possible to get Richard Lionheart also.

Someone asked about Albrect de Bar too, he crusaded against the Wends, who I think inhabitied Pomerania and Prussia. Henry the Lion also particpated in this crusade.

Maxian from the Entrance Hall posts the following:

-----
    Well, although this is my first post, I'm a long time lurker (almost since MTW was released). There's a post in the Main Hall about heroes, but I can't post there. Anyways, just yesterday I uploaded a FAQ with a partial list of heroes w/their stats, and I'll slowly update as I find more. Hope this helps.

-----

Maxian's file has not been processed into the main download section yet but can be found
    here. The file is appropriately called Hero_FAQ_v.1.0.zip.
    This space intentionally left blank

what about mongol's Subudai? What's the right spelling anyways Subotai? Subadai? Subatai? other spelling?
    Luck Often Comes if Courage Holds

Whimsysmith & Designy Bloke CA Captain Fishpants's Avatar

You've spotted quite a few, but we put in far more heroes and villains than that

I spent ages looking up candidates for the list, and we also had the translators provide a list of the people they thought were interesting for each nationality...

MikeB ~ CA
    Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

The formal bit: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Senior Member Senior Member Jxrc's Avatar

I just went through Maxian's file (pretty nice stuff)

Could someone tell me what is the vice "Possessor of Books"? Never heard of it before reading the stats of Infante Juan Manuel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast