Thread: Muslim Militia

Is there any use to building a Town and then County Militia if I am playing a Muslim faction? I know a town militia gets you halberds if you're Catholic... but, I see nothing for the Muslims? Am I missing something?

Assuming you're patched up to v1.1, building the highest level building will grant a +1 Valor to units trained there (except a unit which requires the highest level building, in which case you can retrain them to get +1 Valor).

no, I'm not playing with the patch... but, it seems a bit silly to be training Urban Militia when I could be using my year to train Mamluk Horse Archers, Nizari, Hashishin, etc... or Ghazi/Abbyssian Guard for H2H.

Yes, that is mostly true. It's usually not worth it, although Almohad Urban Militia are pretty good. Also, I forgot to mention another benefit: all militia buildings increase province loyalty.

If you can build a better unit, the +1 valour for a militia unit (except AUM) won't make much of a difference. To me, militia units are only good for fighting in maybe the first 10 or so years of the game. After that they can be used, but don't seem worth the time, to me at least.

Lightbulb

Militia Sergeants are among the most underrated units in the game, in my opinion. Along with the valour and religious buildings boost, they can be put to good use in any battle.
    Ignoranti, quem portum petat, nullus suus ventus est. -Seneca, Epistulae Morales, VIII, 71, 3

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Militia Sergeants are among the most underrated units in the game, in my opinion.
    I don't tend to build them - I prefer FMAA - but they are one of the more scarey AI picks. I think it is the mail armour - it's worth about 4 defence points - and the AP does not hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Brutal DLX @ April 09 2003,05:06)]Militia Sergeants are among the most underrated units in the game, in my opinion. Along with the valour and religious buildings boost, they can be put to good use in any battle.
    Agreed (at least until better units come along). In terms of numbers the MS are a couple points worse than halberdiers, but aside from that they do pretty much the same thing (murderous on horses in woods). As a nod to Simon I do build FMAAs as well, but the MSs are what I use everywhere else to hold a line - better than spearmen by a long shot.

"Some Assembly Required"

Almo Urbans are just plain awesome with some heavy-duty armor, no moral demeritts, and just an excellent attack. I got a unit of Chiv knights beaten by those guys, I would easily use them in place of Feudal soldiers, however by the High Age they begin to deteriorate in usefulness, and I believe that there are better units in the Late Age to be building.

I managed to get a group of Urbans fairly tough - tough enough to be used as a flanking unit against almost any opponent. They were led by Bohemund de Tankerville though,and by now he's an 8-star general and Prince of Bulgaria.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Nice.

In early game I use almost exclusively Militia Sarges for H2H. Saves money and does the job. Once i've hit 10k surpluss income per year I start churning out the best troops, coming from the facilities built on the cheap effectiveness of the Militia Sarges.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak