Thread: About support costs

Cool

hey all.

just been playing as brits/normal/early.

i finished off the papacy.

he reappeared however about 10 years later in rome with a rather large army.

i decided to abandon the province, but before i left i destroyed all buildings.

the annual output of rome at the mo is about 400 florins.

in his army he has 3 chivalric knights, 1 Feudal Knight, 1 Royal Knights(21), 1 Halberd, 1 Feudal Foot(38), 5 Archers, 1 Spear, 1 Urban Militia.

that adds up to an annual support cost of about 800 florins.

i thought a good idea for the pope would be to adopt an expansionist policy so that he can cover the initial support costs of his army. 5 years later he still hasnt moved, but i noticed that a fort has appeared there.

how can that be? he doesnt even have enough income to support his army let alone his buildings?

maybe i am missing something here, but at the mo i can see as far north east as novgorod, as far east as greece and as far south as morocco.

perhaps he also spawned in the holy lands?

o forgot to mention he has 2 armies in rome - both same size.
    ~~russ Masada~~~

someone suggested, and I am now buying into this theory, that the AI has unlimited money. *slumps over onto desk after being quietly garroted by CA programmers*
    Heraclius you are just being a silly Greek...-Galestrum

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

doesnt he get dosh from all the catholic factions

covertly of course.

British Army: be the best

Perhaps the Pope gets 10% of all income in Catholic provinces, and the only reason he doesn't suddenly build up massive armies and beat us all down is simple charity.
    "You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you."
    --Leon Trotsky

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

like the real world in medieval times, the Pope is just one of those forces that you must endure.

there is no getting rid of him permanently. he will always return, and in numbers equivocal to what the strongest power has - which is like saying he shows up with B-1 stealth bombers against the peasants you have guarding that province.

i suggest you check the Table of Contents near the top of this forum page and look around for info on the Pope.

Whenever a faction respawns or the pope comes back or the mongols invade the factions get starting money ie 8000 on normal(i think the AI gets 8000 on hard & expert as well)
    The AI does not get unlimited money unless u mod the game

Try and leave open some provinces near Rome, and let the Papacy take the less valuable provinces. Then take Rome and the richer lands. The Pope is stuck with his small, out-classed army and you get lots of income.

my first post in the main hall
    Insolent has a good point, whenever a nation reappears, it starts with a nice healthy supply of cash.
    Either that, or the AI cheats, espically on the higher difficulties

u know this topic has made me go and try another campiagn and that pope will DIE

muhahahahahahahah

British Army: be the best

in the future, don't destroy all the buildings, just the castle, without the castle, he can't build more troops, and when you come back, he has no place to hide.
    Looking out on the field of battle, seeing the twisted corpses of mine and my enemy's men, i wonder how we ever convinced anyone that war equals glory.

Yes but he will still be able to build units I believe, if not it's only four years until he can, even if looting and pillaging put them back down to their lowest status.

ahh insolent looks to have the beef on this one.

i guess its fair if they get 8000 florins when they respawn. although i will be disappointed if hes still cranking out buildings after 15 years.

his total annual support cost at the mo (havent been back to the game since last week) is 1600 florins.

after 5 years (where im at) he should have used up his 8000 florins (1600x5) and only have left the province support money x5 (2000 florins) . which means he should only have two more years before his army support costs/out weigh his building costs.

personally i just want him to hurry up and attack. i got 3 jacked up armies (3 gold armor, chivalrics/halberds galore) in each of the northern italian provinces.

btw. Yellow knight lol at your scottish sig - must suck for you playing as brits
    ~~russ Masada~~~