Thread: Call me crazy (MP again).....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

but I've never understood just why the MP strategic option hasn't worked. I do not *get* it, especially because they keep promising it, and how could they in their right minds do that unless they were somewhat close?

I think almost every Shogun player would welcome strategic MP. Is it *that* difficult to implement? We know the tactical game works; the strategic is (unfairly but I'm reaching) akin to Risk, which we know works on PCs. And if it is such a mindbender, why bring it up time and again? Why not say, honestly, "We can't do it and never will."

Is there a post or an announcement I haven't read? Am I totally out of date here? As other posters have written, I'd rather have the MP in a patch in about 6 months and push back Crusaders some. I prefer the polish and a game that is even more totally addictive.

Thanks for listening. I'm simply befuddled.

Natus

Yep, you are right, the two halves work and are even closer together now with MI adding armor and weapon mods to online games.

Problems I see (and I'm just making guesses) are with the interface between the two and how to prevent hacking of the game. Ok, for an online battle (between two live players), the systems could send each other data files like they normally would and if one player hacked his army, the second player's game could refuse the results of the fight.

Ok, now about player vs. AI fights. What is to prevent one player from saving and reloading a gameturn over and over to get the battle "right"? I've done that myself in SP, mainly to keep fighting an odd situation for practice. (So, how do you take a bridge from a player with hordes of cav and the ability to spend them like water with a 16 unit army? You can rout them, but they can rally since you cannot pursue, meanwhile more reinforcements keep pouring on. The answer might surprise you....)

Easiest way to implement them would be to let the player fight on his system and the results be uploaded to the other player(s). Hmmm, maybe a force autocalc if the game is saved and reloaded.

I think the antihacking code would be the worst part. After all, you don't want to be accused of being a cheater with your name all over these boards just because the Internet corrupted some data in the transfer, do you?

Another thought, possibly they want to set up another server to handle campaign fights.

I say what i said before.....Hire some one that can do it !!!!!
    Clean the staff or fill it up at CA
    Or send some one to a fast learning school.

It works with many many other Games the strategic map thing.....

------------------
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

This is getting pretty old but Target posted about this a while ago saying that there was a problem with info going over to the other players. I think that you wont find it as enjoyable as you think as well if they get it working.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon

I am no hero I just like to hit people in the head. :p
    DP is correct - Shiro

I want the campaign online if people cheat we'll all find out and never play them again

At least give us an LAN campaign!!!!

------------------