Thread: 20 questions from a newbie -- please help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1. If you alter the tax rate in a certain province, does that affect the income you receive from any port and/or mining situation there, or does the change apply only to the agriculture?

2. If I have a sucky general in charge of a division, is there some way of replacing him? Isn’t there any way to fire or assassinate my own generals? I have found what seems to be a bug in the game which allows you to erase a poor general’s negative honor stigma without having to actually win any battles with him: simply divide his troops in half and move one half to a neighboring province. On the next round, move the other half back, and on the turn after that join the two halves up again. It’ll say, “This general has yet to prove himself, etc., etc." Your disgraced general is nowhere to be found. But this bug doesn’t always seem to work, and even when it does, having to shift troops around from province to province can be difficult.

3. Is there any way to garrison troops within a castle without having built them there first? For example, when your daimyo dies and his heir is “created” in a castle, you can easily take him out. But how do you get him back in again (without being chased in there by enemy troops)? Is there something I’m not getting?

4. Is there any expense for geisha, ninja, and emissary upkeep? Are these folks costing me any money merely by having them out there in the field?

5. I have found the bug (surely everyone here has, too) whereby you can “see into the future,” by clicking on the koku income for a given province. It’ll ask you to set the tax rate for the following year, but the figure for the “lowest loyalty province” it gives you is actually the figure for the COMING term. Nifty. But the part I don’t understand is, when the tax rate is normal (100%), what does that mean? That if a province makes 200 koku annually, you get 200 koku? But then what’s going on when you raise the tax rate above 100%? That you’re actually squeezing more than 200 koku out of a province that can only supply 200?!? I don’t get it. And by the way, when you take over a province, does the tax rate there default to normal, or do you inherit what the other guy had it at?

6. While I’m at it, what does the population loyalty percentage mean? How can the population be any more loyal than 100%? It doesn’t make sense. The best I can figure is that, say, 1127% loyalty means that that province is 1127% likely NOT to revolt in the coming turn. But that seems like just a fancy way of saying 100%. It doesn’t seem to make sense mathematically.

7. Can rebels create more of their own kind or not? Sometimes I swear they’re producing more rebels, but other times when I have a rebellious (and wealthy) province completely surrounded, they’ll go for YEARS without making more buddies. I’ve also noticed that they’re extremely hesitant to invade a province, unless you leave it totally empty. But even if their numbers are overwhelming and you’ve only got 100 guys guarding the province, sometimes they’ll invade, sometimes they won’t. I don’t get it...

8. What determines the chances of having a heir? The manual affirms that “they’re born randomly during the course of a game,” but I’ve noticed that the later the year is (say 1650), that your “random chances” seem to be greatly decreased, if not eliminated. It doesn’t seem to be based on the age of your daimyo, his climate, or his location, as one would think (I’ve been deliberately trying to get mine killed on the theory that his son would be more, ahem, productive…). Possibly this limitation is because the programmers didn’t want you running around with bows and arrows well into the 1900’s… What, by the way, is the maxiumum attainable year? Anyone ever seen a jet flying overhead?

9. You would think that if the daimyo himself leads the troops into battle, they would at least gain some sort of morale bonus, but apparently this isn’t true at all…

10. What exactly is different on EASY? The Prima Guide suggests that the AI rarely uses a geisha on easy, but what else is supposedly easier? Is the computer more likely to give you a victory when you “auto-resolve”? Do you get more koku from the lands? Does the enemy throw his huge asskicking armies at you all at once on the strategy map, instead of hitting you in bits and pieces?

11. Is there any way of splitting a single unit into two on the battlefield map? Say, have a group of 100 archers split up and run two different ways?

12. I’ve seen a lot of talk about how agricultural improvements are a farce, since in certain provinces going up to 100% can actually give you a NEGATIVE return on your investment. What? I could understand if you're making the improvements at the END of the game, or if the province is later retaken from you - but you’re telling me that even a province that you hold from beginning to end of a game is gonna rip you off this way? Surely, even crummy provinces will pay for the investment several times over, given enough years. I guess THAT’S what I don’t understand: why and at what point do the people who believe this cut off the number of years and declare that the investment was a ripoff?

13. Apparently the minute any clan takes over Yamashiro, the emperor endorses that clan. Does this provide any morale bonus for that clan’s troops, as one would think? (I am aware of the morale bonus you get for then MAKING troops in that particular province from then on.)

14. According to the manual and the Prima Guide, there’s a way to limit the # of men on the battlefield in the options menu, but for the life of me…

15. When the AI invades your province, then calls off the battle and retreats, what affects that AI calculation -- the quality of your troops, or their sheer number? What I’m getting at is would it be possible to psyche the AI out with a horde of cheap ashigaru?

16. How do I get my archers to stay where they are and attack? One would think this would be the “hold position” button, but if I select that, then select on an enemy for them to attack, they run toward the enemy, damn them! How do I get them to attack and still hold their ground, firing only when the targets come in range?

17. On this subject, how do you get long-range troops to battle hand-to-hand? The “tutorial” claims that you simply have to "left-click" on an enemy, but this definitely is inaccurate. Or will this only work if you’re out of ammo?

18. Is there any way to prioritize construction, AMONG provinces? For example, if I wanna built a geisha house right away, and have the computer put everything else on hold while that project is moved to the top of the list, is there any way of doing this without having to cancel every other simultaneously proposed construction project?

19. Occasionally I have accidentally selected “rout” when I didn’t mean to. Arrgggh. How do you get the troops to stop running away, or come back once they’ve disappeared off the edge of the map? What’s with the “rally” button? It’s NEVER worked for me, even when I instructed a mob of 1,000 soldiers to stop fleeing from 2 guys.

20. And lastly, something that’s been bugging me terribly: I have completed the game with Hojo, Uesugi, and Takeda, but every time I play with Shimazu (also Oda), even though I’ve played a flawless game up to that point, at the point where I get about halfway across the map (even if you accomplish this by 1545), the Hojo’s got like 17,000 dudes! Even on easy, it’s just a matter of time before you’re decimated! Is this a bug or what? The part that really confuses me is that some people on this board (and the Prima Guide) insist that the Shimazu are the easiest! Furthermore, every strategy guide I’ve located so far fails to mention how to get around this giant horde. Is it just me? How is it that you guys are getting around the horde and winning without cheating on Shimazu?

[This message has been edited by Darth Wart (edited 11-25-2000).]

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

I'll just take a few and leave the hard ones for the more experienced.
    #11. No, you can't divide a unit. A mod may be coming to allow this, tho.
    #16. A range unit that you place will target enemy units that come within range. If you ASSIGN a target they will move to get in range and will pursue if the target unit moves.
    #17. To use HTH with ranged units, hold down the ALT key and click on the target unit.
    #20. Shimazu is good to start with because it has few avenues of approach by enemies. Taking out the Imagawa leaves but two provinces to garrison. So, you can get a quick income boost and reduce calls on your units for defense. The HOJO Horde is a common
    problem, whereever you start from. Usually one clan will achieve supremacy and that area (Hojo, Uesugi) has the most lucrative provinces and thus creates more units and faster improvements thereby. Some deal with the Hord by assassination of the Daimyo and heirs. Failing that you'll have to fight and win. Frankly, I've always lost against the horde. My wins came from either fortuitous balances in the rich area that held long enough or when I began in those areas and create my own horde.(I always start a new game then, it's all over but the counting)

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks

[This message has been edited by ShaiHulud (edited 11-25-2000).]
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Quote Originally posted by Darth Wart:
    8. What determines the chances of having a heir? The manual affirms that “they’re born randomly during the course of a game,” but I’ve noticed that the later the year is (say 1650), that your “random chances” seem to be greatly decreased, if not eliminated. It doesn’t seem to be based on the age of your daimyo, his climate, or his location, as one would think (I’ve been deliberately trying to get mine killed on the theory that his son would be more, ahem, productive…). Possibly this limitation is because the programmers didn’t want you running around with bows and arrows well into the 1900’s… What, by the way, is the maxiumum attainable year? Anyone ever seen a jet flying overhead?
    [/QUOTE]

well, not yet, but I'm hoping to see some- right now i'm in 1940's, and things are getting interesting. Apparently, my peasants have hired some engineers and build an airbase, right on Totomi (which would be the obvious choice i suppose). As the following screenshot illustrates, it's gaining some importance in the game, and after the furious bloody battle for Totomi Airfield i strongly believe that some big things are about to happen. If my theory is correct then Totomi will become the most important province on the map. I'll keep you updated.

------------------
    the great lord jd

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

1. Just agriculture.

2. Quite right, odd isn't it?

3. You have to drag units individually into the castle, not by groups.

4. Don't know.

5. I think that the hypothetical 200 koku is the amount gained at normal tax rates, and the higher/lower tax rates adjust this amount (leaving the peasants to starve because you need to pay for a huge army will cause rebellions).

6. At loyalty 100%+ the province is fanatically loyal (or occupied by many troops). Anything below 100% is at risk from rebellion, especially if they neighbour ronin or enemy shinobi are active.

7. I don't think that ronin share the AI clans infinite koku feature (bug?), so eventually their armies max out, with all koku spent on upkeep and none for building. This may not be correct.

8. Some heirs are historical, but most occur "randomly". How it works I don't know, but I've had Daimyo still breeding when it should, by rights, be practically and biologically impossible due to his age!

9. They gain the all important honour bonus from being led by such a famous, experienced general. Morale is factored into the whole honour system.

10. Not sure. Presumably taishos on EASY are complete no-brainers! There is an honour bonus for AI troops on the more difficult settings.

11. No.

12. You will get a negative income from having overly huge armies of expensive units while suffering from a disastrous harvest, but I have never heard of well developed provinces (or any for that matter) actually taking your koku.

13. I've seen the other clans turn against the Emperor-blessed clan, but whether you get a bonus I do not know.

14. Max on the field at one time is 16 units on each side. These units may be of between 60 and 120 men each, depending on the settings you have chosen. BTW the units you start off with are always 60 man units, irrespective of the unit size that you have selected.

15. It is a combination of numbers, the honour of the troops, the honour of the taisho in command (v. important) and fighting elsewhere along the borders that can cause the enemy to refuse a battle on the strategy map.

16. Hold formation/engage at will will stop them backing away from the enemy (but will enable the enemy to slaughter them in hand-to-hand). Best leave them in skirmish if you want them to live. Fire at will causes a stationary unit to open fire on any enemy that come within range. A direct fire order (ie clicking on an enemy unit) will make the archers advance into range and then start shooting (it also makes them shoot into melee, regardless of friendly fire).

17. Hold down ALT and click on an enemy unit to get the archers/musketeers to attack hand-to-hand.

18. Right click on the building queue to remove a project (although try not to remove the one currently in production, or you'll have wasted time and koku).

19. I don't think you can rally while the enemy are still close, but I'm not sure. I never got to use the rally button in SP, but have been able to in MP.

20. The infamous horde is a bug arising from the various feature (mainly infinite koku)included to make the AI more challenging. It is also the single worst thing about the end-game, a boring waste of time. They only way to defeat the Horde is to find and assinate the Daimyo and his heirs before your smaller forces are worn down. Then all the Horde goes ronin. You can then spend hour after tedious hour slowly destroying them without them attacking you. Yawn. Shimazu do have the most secure starting position, but have low koku. Try Oda for some fun!

If any of the above is wrong, feel free to correct me.

Slyspy
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

I disagree about the effects of Hold Formation. Hold Formation gives a unit a defensive bonus. By holding their shape, a unit prevents the enemy getting in amongst your men, restricting the damage the enemy can cause. Of course, it also limits your unit's attacking potential. It is best used with defensive units such as Yari Samurai and Naginata. These units can then occupy the enemy whilst taking minimal casualties, giving you an opportunity to flank with your more attack-focused troops (e.g. No-Dachi).

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Yes Rob, you are quite right. I only mentioned it because it prevents archers from backing away from the enemy like they do in skirmish mode.

------------------
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

Spent 10 minute replying to this thread, only to be told that I exceeded some frame count thingy

Next time could you please only make it 10 newbie questions.

For the archers how bout hold position/ fire at will, or turn off fire at will and just click on a unit you know is within range. In his example he was giving conflicting orders.

Bah! that's all I'm responding too now- I have writers cramp>:
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

lol

btw, is anyone else getting 'Internal Server Error' trying to access these forums? I had this problem a lot yesterday and intermittently today.

Senior Member Senior Member The Daimyo's Avatar

This whole thread is funny, but that pic you made there JayDee, takes the cake! That's hilarious, and what's even funnier is that noone seemed to notice.

------------------
    The Daimyo
    Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
    @http://www.planettotalwar.com

2:39AM ET just now getting to post again Finally

------------------
    Fear not the sword to your front, but the blade at your back.

Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades

JayDee !!!!!!

ROFLMAO

Man, is it just me or nobody noticed your post??????, LOL^100

Metha

------------------
    "...Violence is the last resort of the incompetent..."
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

well, i believe it's a result of recent connection troubles 'round here;
    ...but i'm fully expecting all the words of admiration, congratulations and authograph requests to start rolling in very soon...

...hehehheheehehheeeeeee

------------------
    the great lord jd

Senior Member Senior Member The Daimyo's Avatar

I noticed that you are falling WAY behind in your post count JayDee. THis is a great concern to all of us. This means that either your PC is causing you havoc, you're actually playing the game, or you just don't care about us enough anymore.
    What gives?

(hahaha)

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

I saw it too JayDee, just was ticked about all my lost typing I didn't retypr that part!

Looks to me you could land a 747 on that baby! BTW what does your port facility look like?
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

JD when you are able to make tank factory's, let me know ok?

roflmao, a real nice pic by the way
    The members of the chain clan will unite the land