Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cant post Topics in the MTW main hall section

Angry

Lo i just registered my sccount and want to post a few topics in the MTW section on the bb however when i goto post a new topic its says i dont have permission to post a topic. errr

Can any one help its kind of stupid you register and cant post bloody topics what a waste of time.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Sorry, you do not have permission to reply to that topic

You are currently logged in as Arcane
    This is kind of irritating ...

Any idea on when we might be able to participate in the complete forums?

Arcane
    This is my signature!

Red face

I guess we are in quarenteen.

Unhappy

Fair enough... but what for and will we ever be allowed out?

I tried some of the other features contained within ikonboard and could not respond to polls or message other online board members.

Oh well .. I guess I should just be grateful I could join at all (I tried earlier when membership was closed)

Arcane
    This is my signature!

I can fully sympathise with your plight as I have also tried registering several times over the course of the last few weeks.... very frustrating.Eventually, the official board came back online so I went there but I like the way this forum is organised and kept tidy.

Crash

Cool

Well I'm off to play a little (5 or 6 hours) of MTW ...

Perhaps the forums might be a little more accessible sometime later for newer members like myself

Arcane
    This is my signature!

How bout an admin tellin us why we're not allowed in any other forum and how long we gotta wait or what we gotta do to be able to?

Question

I am still not able to participate in the full boards...

Could I ask for anybody that can use the other forums to please post a question as to why new forum members are restricted to this one board?

It seems that we new members aren't worth replying to (probably why we only get to post on a single board where we can be easilly ignored) .. maybe one of the older members might have better luck at getting administrative attention.

Thanks in advance

Arcane
    This is my signature!

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Konnichiwa,

Wouldn't it be much easier to ignore new members by just closing new registrations?

This new board is open for less than 24 hours, and this forum hasn't a moderator yet. There's a candidate though.

This forum isn't to dump second rank people in.
    Quite on the contrary, it serves to help people, both the new members who have to find out the basics and the older ones trying to keep track of discussions.

I'm very sorry that this forum hasn't either a moderator yet to help you nor many 'faqs'. The alternative would have been that new registrations would still be suspended.

How long you stay here depends on yourself: pick the basics up quickly and you'll be promoted to Senior Patron.

But you'll have to wait till this forum has a moderator.

You can post questions here in the meantime, read all forums, use the searchfunction and read the forumrules (link is on top of every page). The help button, in the top right corner, will also explain a few options.

Edit profile info is enabled.

I apologize for the inconvenience.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

I appreciate your response to this thread TosaInu and for clarifying the situation regarding we new members

I also must appologise for my most recent post. Its posting was merely meant to antagonise an administrator into responding and enlightening new members like myself on our status and the procedure for becoming full members. I at no time believed we were second class members (as I implied) though I did gain the information I (and others) were after, it was by using a somewhat devious tactic.

I realise how much effort is required in maintaining such a high standard on a public forum like this as I have attempted it myself once before (not as successfully as I have noted you and your team do) and I thank you for yours and the other administrators efforts

Arcane

P.S. May I suggest that you add a sticky note to this board containing the information which you revealed on this thread as I think it might alleviate a lot of unnecesary threads similar to this one... thank you once again
    This is my signature!

QUOTE: How long you stay here depends on yourself: pick the basics up quickly and you'll be promoted to Senior Patron.

Riiii-ght.

Look, sorry to be whining like this but I'm 28, been lurking on the forums for about month before registering, been on MANY forums for other games in the past......AFAIK the basics of using a forum is click here, click there, dont ask stupid questions that people have already answered and refrain from trolling.

I got the basics down already thanks.

Now my next question is: How do we demonstrate that we've picked up the basics? And who to?

P.S. Can ya tell I've been in forums before from the sig?

Right now, I'm the one you should be sucking up to.

Be patient with me as I'm new to the moderating job and be patient with the rest of the staff as this type of forum is a new idea and bound to have a few wrinkles to work out.

As for lurking, I lurked here for a while when I first arrived, so I understand. Feel free to continue, but let me encourage the lurkers out there to contribute. We want to hear from you too - not just the same old hot air from the regulars. Don't be afraid to ask questions either, but a quick search of the forums will tell you if the question has already been asked and maybe even answered. For MTW you can also check the Table of Contents thread. It is an index of many of the best/most informative threads regarding MTW and is contegorized by subject (rebellions, units, etc.).

Welcome to the Guild Ladies and Gentlemen. I am your doorman, Gregoshi.

You may begin sucking up now...
    This space intentionally left blank

Cool

I find it a little ironic my first post here is under a topic complaining about how we can't post in the main forum, I registered to reply to a HRE topic and found the same message :P

Time to start another HRE Expert game and see if I can fight THIS 7-front war successfully.
    Gebt mir funf jahre und ihr werdet Deutschland nicht weider erkennen.

Give me five years and you will not recognize Germany again.

---Adolf Hitler

**Seen on a placard outside the ruined town of Leipzig in April 1945**

Hmmm ... sucking up heh?

I might be restricted to this board for a long long time

Welcome aboard Gregoshi .. I hope my stay here is short and sweet

Arcane
    This is my signature!

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

TosaInu-san aksed me to help out here. I don't know the answers to your questions yet; but hang on lads, Gergoshi is a fine, honorable fella, and between the 2 of us, we'll get you taken care of and on your way to 'posting bliss'
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

Good to have you on board Gregoshi
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Thanks folks. I'm glad to have KukriKahn's help as the door to this place is rather massive. I just hope they don't expect us to clean the moat too.

BTW, my HRE campaign has started going bad recently. My men must have it too good as all my florin go to their upkeep. I really have to cut back on German Chocolate cake rations. Any words of wisdom regarding the HRE will be welcomed.

Heh, Gregoshi, I'll cover the moats, you handle that medieval crapper by the front gate.

On the HRE: have no mercy; kill the Pope 1st chance you get; conquer, then placate contiguous provinces; go west first (richer prov's, weaker enemies), heading for coastlines, then south; feed armies on bier & schnitzel ONLY (keeps 'em aggressive), populace on cheap wine & potato (keeps 'em lethargic).

The rest of you guys: I'm looking into the rules of this forum/board so we can get you 'certified' and on your way as soon as possible. The concept of this place (as I understand it) is to provide a welcome lobby of sorts, to do 2 main things:
    1) welcome and orient you to the Org, a privately-owned, unofficial site devoted to the TotalWar game series.
    2) cut down on the duplication, off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate postings that have plagued previous versions of this board, eating up precious bandwidth and making finding a real answer to a real problem next-to-impossible to do.

Back to you soon.

Words of wisdom regarding the HRE? Spend a boatload (pun intended) of money making a trade route to the med., make alliances with everybody you can, don't screw with anybody until your citadels start appearing and make sure the French and English are busy with each other for sixty years or so with spies. Works well for me
    Gebt mir funf jahre und ihr werdet Deutschland nicht weider erkennen.

Give me five years and you will not recognize Germany again.

---Adolf Hitler

**Seen on a placard outside the ruined town of Leipzig in April 1945**

I don't think moving 10 spies into a province works anymore now the patch is out. ANyone else think this?

Angry

I think it's great that you have set up a place where new people, after basic information, can talk to other people about similar issues.

However, I find your decision to restrict access to the other Forums presumptuous and insulting.

When I got my first computer, I discovered STW and loved it. I have MI and bought MTW as soon as it came out.

I take exception to being forced into a Newbie room, not because I have a complex about being labelled a novice, but because you rob me of my voice in other forums where I have something useful to say, or from making posts that require more than a couple of weeks play for answers.

You say that this is not supposed to be a second class room, but that's exactly what it feels like.

I understand your concerns about unqualified disruptions to meaningful threads, and I appreciate your bandwidth issue, however I do not find this an acceptable soloution.

I recognise that you are an unofficial privately owned site, but you must recognise that you are the unofficial privately owned site, with direct links from the totalwar.com site.

I am so annoyed with your decision here, that I am contemplating complaining to the official site that does, in a way, endorse you.

Not because I like a good moan, but because I love MTW and the whole Total War series, and stopping me from sharing that with other gamers who have been playing Total War for as long as I have is not what these Forums should be about.

Please don't think that I'm typing this post as some kind of threat. That's not what it's about. You are robbing true fans of their voice. It's almost like you're a Daimyo, arbitrarily deciding who's fit to join the club, and this really riles me.

I don't expect this post to suddenly change the way you have set things up (though it would be great if it did).

Hopefully you'll get a better appreciation for what a poor introduction some of us feel we're getting to the STW Forums site.

I've loved everything there is to love about STW, until this.

Azrael
    And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not

Just...
    ...appartheid
    Kotek-Mamrotek

Sorry to have gotten your feathers in a flurry Azrael; your well-written post, and concerns about your 'voice' being robbed are duly noted.

Please know that this particular forum policy is under active review and discussion right now. In the meantime, I'd be glad to forward any constructive posts/questions, etc to the appropriate forum for you. (I realize that that is 'hand-holding', to which you likely object as insulting; believe me: no insult intended. It's the only way to accomodate you that I have at the moment).

Welcome to the Org. Glad you like the game.

Member Member Michiel de Ruyter's Avatar

Hi guys...

In some ways I can understand the present policy, but is a pain in the butt if you want to reply to a topic...

I noticed someone had to write a paper about the Punic wars (see monestary), and I know a decent if not great site...and wanted to help out by posting the link..

But I'll await, and hope I can reply soon....

I love the game, but have to get a new video card, as mine is getting into a fight with the mousecursor in 3D battlefield mode (just a 16MB card )
    For a small country, we have kicked some really good (naval) butt...

Angry

Hi KukriKhan,

I'm glad you've seen my post and appreciated the spirit in which it was sent.
    It's good to hear that this current Forum policy is under review, and I appreciate you offer to piggyback posts or replies for me to the Main Hall.

I don't design or host Forums for a living or as a Serious Passtime, so good for you guys for setting this up for like minded gamers to come and use for free. I'm sure there's a little more to it than typing Add Reply and giving an opinion.

I won't go over old ground, but really have to mention that neither you or the Main Hall Members would be happy if you were facing this current New Members situation.

Please let me know how things go with the review, and thanks for paying attention to the posts.

Azrael
    And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not

We realize that your current status is a bit restricting. However, please try to participate as best you can from this forum. If you have some useful information, post it and we can move it to the appropriate forum to share with the commnuity until you are able to do so yourself. You can also help each other out while waiting here in the Entrance Hall. There have been some informative posts here already. It sure beats twiddling your thumbs and staring at each other.

Each time you post serves as a reminder to us to release(promote) you to the other forums. But please, no SPAM

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Exclamation

Because of previous problems there is now some vetting of new members.

This is two fold.

A lot of new members don't quite get some of the tongue in cheek humour particularly from the Aussies and the others we have corrupted . That and the general level of ettiquette that is normally required.

The other side is to stop some blatant spammers, flamers, nasty and other types of general internet riff raff diminishing the core values of the Org.

We would like the game forums to contain relevent and useful information. If it is an opinion then quotes and links to other sources or a logical flow of arguement would be appreciated. This will help people find the information that they need.

----

That you can manage full sentences and paragraphs. Have a logical flow of arguement and are a productive member with a sense of humour will definitly get you past the entrance hall in no time at all.

----
    IMDO I think that anyone who can respond with useful information to approximately three threads should be able to get past this stage ASAP. But that is IMDO.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

ok, fair is fair, and folks deserve a straight answer. we're dancing around why this 'entrance hall' came into being here. a number of folks were recently temporarily banned for violating policy. one can ban in a number of ways. you can ban the member name or you can ban their isp from even logging to the site. however, banning an isp also has to ban everyone using that isp because of dynamic ip numbers. to prevent having to ban whole isp's, which isnt fair to those that may use the same isp as others that are banned by intent, you have to ban the member name. but, that doesnt work either because the actual person simply rolls up another account name and continues where he left off. this leads to a whole other type of 'war' and it gets pretty silly.

so, and i'm NOT an admin, and this is actually only speculation on my part based on recent activiities, this 'entrance hall' was set up to keep those recently banned from simply logging back in under a new name and causing trouble all over again on the main forums. at least here, they are monitored and easily handled all in one spot. so, yes, it is a pain in the arse and yes, it does have the tendency to treat everyone as 'guilty until proven innocent', but it also keeps some of the noise and flames off the main forums. think of it as a 'gun check', or a metal detector in an airport. it's essentially the same concept. leave your guns at the door and let's keep the shooting wars off the main boards.

again, this NOT an official statement. it's just my guess. i'm not a moderator or an admin here and am not privy to the private meetings of the staff here. so take it with a grain of salt. this also does not invalidate any of the other reasons given by the moderators here; it's simply my own, possibly faulty, addendum.

K.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Papewaio @ Nov. 11 2002,22:37)]A lot of new members don't quite get some of the tongue in cheek humour particularly from the Aussies and the others we have corrupted . That and the general level of ettiquette that is normally required.
    Oi

I resemble that remark.. even though my pommy wife is trying to pommify me I am resisting.. I can hardly wait to get back to the land down under

On a more serious note... No time at all has been a few days now (a very long time for me to be kept quiet)

I doubt the aims of this experiment can be achieved for the following reasons:

1) In my opinion most people simply choose not to argue.. and after signing up then not being able to contribute they simply fade away.

2) The git types will still get past this stage if they are that way inclined.

I understand why this limited access board has been set up and I can empathise with the administrators however I know I (and probably most others) simply feel isolated when most of us simply signed up to contribute to the collective knowledge about MTW, when we are not permitted to add our 2 cents it does make us feel judged unfairly.

What would concern me more if I was an administrator would be the invaluable insight of all those that simply find this process too difficult and choose to say nothing at all, therefore automatically being considered a high risk candidate of being a git when in all probability that would not be the case.

A fairer system for policing IMNSHO good behaviour might be:

a) A stricter code of conduct for all members to enforce a clearly defined standard of behaviour.

b) Use of penalties such as suspensions of less than a week for minor forms of inappropriate conduct (flaming, trolling etc etc)

c) More serious forms of misbehaviour such as openly abusing or threatening another member or continued minor forms of inappropriate behaviour (after they have previously been corrected) need to be punished by lengthier suspensions or even banishment.

d) Newer members being placed on a stricter code of conduct therefore enabling the erradication of the vengeful (git) members more rapidly, a probationary period perhaps.

e) This forum being replaced by an 'Administrative Action' board where all suspensions are announced to the community including a summary of why the punishment was necessary. This would be to allow an adequate transparency of process therefore allowing all members to have confidence that the board was being managed fairly.

d) For more serious punishments the offender should be suspended initially, however before banishment can occur at least 3 moderators must agree that it is a fair punishment and they must be willing to sign off (put their names down) when it is announced to the community.

Well thats my take on the situation..

Arcane
    This is my signature!

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

I suppose we could always do it in reverse. Newbies allowed in. If they act naughty they have to do penance in the Entrance Hall.

So it could be a first level ban... could rename it the principles office or in keeping with the theme of the forums call it the Barracks (where people are instructed in the proper handling of the forums).

Behave let out to roam. Misbehave a week in the Barracks. Constant abuse either an increase in flood control or eventual banishment.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast