Thread: what is your favorite attacking formation?

Question

i find that when i put my troops into the triangular attacking formation thay lose numbers fast and retreat like wimps.
    i suffer from a bad case of road rage

The wedge triangle should be used for charging. It raises your offensive ability, but lowers defense, that's why you lose men easier. The point of it is to break your enemy's formation with your charge.

Other than charging I've had little success using the wedge so I just stick to the tight line formation otherwise.

Wedge is best used when you're sending REALLY heavy cav with a really high charge bonus into a really crappy infantry unit (Or better yet, archers). Preferrably from the flank. Or the rear. Or just screw it and attack in a really wide line formation on engage at will and encircle the bastards.

-Musashi
    Fear nothing except in the certainty that you are your enemy's begetter and its only hope of healing. For everything that does evil is in pain.
    -The Maestro Sartori, Imajica by Clive Barker

All depends on the terrain, but I've been favoring a Scorpion lately, with calv at pincers and tail.

Ottoman Lines are fun, so is English style, although the English style seems to be meant for those longbowmen and not crossbowmen.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

more or less try to use triangular formation only on cavalry and spearmen and only facing weak opponents ( its real fun against peasants ) , and never defend with it
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

i tend to keep them min nromal formation, unless im flankng and such
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

My formations usually expose more flank than Playboy which results in my men heading for the hills.
    This space intentionally left blank

For a battle formation I like the english; flanks and centre really easy to manage. Depending on what I have, I also like Steppe envelopment and Cavalry skirmish.

On attack, usually just fairly shallow lines , although flankers will normally be a bit more compact

One thing that gave me a shock was the Ottoman inf. Left on engage at will they act like archers and retreat to shoot. Opened up huge holes in my line...but the ones that stayed put gained excellent flank and rear charges Will need work to use as a deleberate tactic...
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Call me conservative {your sister won't , but that's another story } , but I usually favor a three line army of Archers first , Infantry middle and Cavalry in the rear {not THAT rear :/} unless I expect an imediate rush or am short on long missiles verses maisslie heavy opponent .
    On attack , I will usually just push start then order the lads into the above mentioned unless I feel the need to start with some imediate action , when it is either infantry charge {archers thus protected} or -very rarely- cavalry charge .
    If my opponent has catapults {or usefull cannon} and I have Alans or even any fast cavalry , I'll try to start well back {out of their range} and lure them somehow to expose their artillery to a fast cavalry flank , then it's a remourseless grinding advance to saturate him with fire , let him make a boo-boo or three and crush him like a worm and reap his fleeing remains like wheat before my sythe

Or to put it another way : Less is More
    Cheers .
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .