Thread: losing money

Unhappy

Why am I losing money all of a sudden? One year I was making around 2000 Florins profit, then the Black Plague came and now I'm losing about 1000 Florins a year. I cuurrently have a deficit of about 3000.

I'm in the years around 1350, I'm English, I've conquered the Western europe Costline and Spain. Will this end? Is it a blockade? How do you know if your being blockaded?

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

you get blockaded in the sea areas where a faction you are at war with has ships . to see which areas are clear and which are not press 'v' while you are watching the map. unblockaded areas with your ships on them show as green , blickaded areas show as red.

....about the money. i cannot verify it but it might be a flunctuation because of an event since the decrease seems small. income reductions due to blockades are ussually large ,for example from 45.000 to 12.000 ( a good reason to have spare cash and a good naval power)

Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Economic downturn

Blackplague reduces income by half or more in affected provinces.

Annie

AggonyJade of the Brotherhood of Aggony, [FF]ladyAn or [FF]Jade of the Freedom Fighters

Lord of the Kanto Senior Member ToranagaSama's Avatar

I'd check to see if any of my Govenors have died in the Plague. Have they? Did you appoint new Govenors? Compare the Acumen of the old and new Govenors. If the new have lower Acumen then you'll suffer a loss of income. In any event, try see that your Govenors have at least 4 acumen.

Regarding the blockade, did you have a Trade Network and were you receiving income from Trade? Just a single enemy ship can ruin your Trade Network.

Also, has the number of troops increased substantially?? JFYI, 2000 Florins is pretty borderline in terms of income and can easily turn into deficit in a single turn.

Lastly, don't forget to peruse the TOC.

Good Luck Have Fun

In Victory and Defeat there is much honor
    For valor is a gift And those who posses it
    Never know for certain They will have it
    When the next test comes....

The next test is the MedMod 3.14; strive with honor.
    Graphics files and Text files
    Load Graphics 1st, Texts 2nd.

I ran into this scenario often:

1. Having about 2000 in the bank
    2. Check the ecenomic newspapers and found that I have a surplus of more than 700 bucks.
    3. Went out shopping (not a lot, perhaps 1000).
    4. Postman came (without ringing twice) and brought a letter informed me I had a bounce check.
    5. Have more florins in the bank now.

Scratching my head: what gives?

I found out that:
    1. The economic section of the newspapers is not always correct. It only take into account the costs of paying salary and the potential income, and not counting new buildings.

2. The bank pays salary first, then pay the buildings and train troops (not sure which is first, or go province to province).

3. Then tax is added back to the total.

So, it turns out that I have salary of 1300, left me 700. I was trying to build a keep (1000 bucks), so I couldn't build it. I still have 700 bucks, but the check bounced all the same. And my income is added into it and I have more than the original 2000.

Long story short: build up the economy first to get off the 4000 level before trying to buy expensive stuffs.

Annie
    AggonyJade of the Brotherhood of Aggony, [FF]ladyAn or [FF]Jade of the Freedom Fighters

I had that plague happen to me...economy turned ugly for a few years; went from making around 5k to barely breaking even. Using trade routes would probably be a good idea; I'm not positive, but I'd bet they wouldn't be effected by the plague; not to mention they can triple or even quadruple a province's normal earnings.

Welcome to the Org eeL ylleK. I'm ihsogerG one of the official greeters here in the Entrance Hall.

A number of people have jumped in to help you already. I'll just explain something ToranagaSama mentioned. TOC stands for Table of Contents, a thread at the top of the Main Hall that indexes all the informative posts in these forums and sorts them by categories (rebellions, trade routes, etc). If you have a question about how something works or how to deal with a problem, the TOC is the first place to look.
    This space intentionally left blank

Well I'm still going broke I don't think I'm being blockaded, I tried pressing 'v' but it didn't show me anything. I'm not at war, the only people around me are the Germans (allies), Egypt (nuetral) and a Rebel province (enemy, but no ships). I just took Ireland and it cut my losses to about -500 a year.

I think I'll try destroying some of my buildings that I don't use anymore. This sucks

The v button only works in version 1.1 patch. I too havent patched and had serious cash problems my first game. Though not due to plague, Im really high army oriented. Instead of destroying buildings, stop all production of troops (unless necessary), and buildings (ditto), except for your main income provinces. By this I mean, where Im playing Byz and Constantinople is my high income province, so I'd continue to build there. Build mines, farmlands (good post somewhere about how high to build farmlands in each province), and every trading center you can. Maybe this will dig you out some. Hope this helps.

Naagi
    If i pull the arrow out, will you suck out the poison?

Blah and assorted comments Member Foreign Devil's Avatar

In one of my early campaigns as the Danes, I started losing money every turn. It took me nearly 30 years to get out of the red, and by then, all my neighbors were a lot more advanced than me. I restarted. My advice to you would be to keep playing until you figure out what went wrong, and then start over. This time you'll know what to do.